Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Waldorf Wishlist Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 27 2007 at 9:14am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Elizabeth wrote:
My ds dropped out of Hogwarts due to lack of willful suspension of disbelief. All too contrived for him. I'm giving it one last go with George MacDonald and then I'm going to let this child pass into his teenage hears sorely lacking in all things fairy or fantasy. He does, however, love to make those felt folk. He made a dear angel this week. Thanks for linking to all of Crafty's little guys. I think I can get Patrick started now on some of these to go with Nicholas' new and improved alphabet adventure. Saints, Patrick will "do."

Maybe with the month of the angels you could direct him in that area. The spiritual world is mysterious, but real. To delve into angels would give him a sense of Truth but also the mystery.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 27 2007 at 9:16am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Oh, and I'll add on that I found in my copy of "A Treasure Chest of Traditions for Catholic Families" by Monica McConkey (1999) suggestions for spoon angels, sort of similar to Alice's Spoon Saints.

Just delving into the 9 choirs of angels, the possibilities are pretty endless.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 27 2007 at 9:16am | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

Books, I wanted to let you know to keep your eyes open at used book stores for Elsa Beskow. I have found all her books at Half Price bookstore...3.98 each!!!   Plus they give a teachers discount!!! HUGE score for the McGoverns!!!!!
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 27 2007 at 9:39am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Oh, of course I know you were joshing me! I've got enough Irish Blood flowing in these veins to rock the mast as this entire crew leaps about to The Elders. Newest favorite song I just discovered this morning? Saint Brendan had a Boat (Track 13, very last one on Racing the Tide) Gotta love a song with these lines:

One winter’s whisky ration all that steerage would allow
and
By this time their only compass was a rosary

It's gotta be an Irish song!

But my favorite song? St. Kevin (Track 4, on American Wake)

St Kevin walks down the path
See a sign for Lynhams Pub and Glendalough this way
He steps in with caution look around
The boys from Clara Lara just in from bailing hay

Young Murphy tells Kevin of the legends
Father Cronin always said an angel child was he
The truth is all written in Acta Santorum
Let’s have another glass and I'll drink a pint with thee

Perfect! Inspiration for two kicked up Spoon Saint Felty Creations. Can't you just see St. Brendan in his little boat and St. Kevin gazing over the fog-roiled sea at him?

Back to your regularly scheduled WishList now...

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 27 2007 at 11:13am | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

Jennifer--Would the boats have anything to do with your attraction to those particular guys? You must share photos as I have a little Brendan here who really deserves his own little spoon saint and coracle!

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 27 2007 at 11:22am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

chicken lady wrote:
Books, I wanted to let you know to keep your eyes open at used book stores for Elsa Beskow. I have found all her books at Half Price bookstore...3.98 each!!!   Plus they give a teachers discount!!! HUGE score for the McGoverns!!!!!

I will definitely start checking 1/2 Price books. Thanks for the head's up!

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

JenniferS
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 27 2007 at 11:24am | IP Logged Quote JenniferS

I love the St. Brendan spoon idea. We are studying him right now!!! My dd was excited to hear that.

Also, Jenn, the spoon angel idea is just right for the feast days coming up. Thank you.

My top five would mostly be crafting supplies and the color fairy books. We are sorely lacking in good craft supplies. Ordering online will be the only way to get them, as the closest craft store is too far for me to go, and our funds our lacking at this moment, so we'll dream for now. I do have the bees wax modeling wax from a year ago. We love it. We need more, as we are good at misplacing it. I have always wanted the kids to read the color fairy books, but our little library doesn't have them, but I know they would get them if I took the time to ask.

We have started making sure we do handwork daily with what little craft stuff we have. The kids love it. I'm having fun, too.

Jen
Back to Top View JenniferS's Profile Search for other posts by JenniferS

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 27 2007 at 3:43pm | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Yeah...the boats might have something to do with it!
But really, the thought that St. Kevin might just drop in my beachy version of a pub and order a Guinness thrills me and gives me much needed patience up there too.

I'll let you all know if we get around to crafting any wee folk! I'd love to see what you and yours turn out too!

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 27 2007 at 3:48pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Elizabeth wrote:
My ds dropped out of Hogwarts due to lack of willful suspension of disbelief. All too contrived for him. I'm giving it one last go with George MacDonald and then I'm going to let this child pass into his teenage hears sorely lacking in all things fairy or fantasy.

Honestly, my ds is enjoying the Hogwarts unit, but I wish I had done it last year when it would have been easier for him to "get into character" so to speak. This is the year when my ds crosses that invisible but oh, so powerful threshold into ...is it manhood already? Surely not! But I look at him lately and I cannot deny its ever-increasing presence. And I can't help but yearn to hold on to the little boy in him just a tiny bit longer.
So we will enjoy this little foray into the magical while we still can. I fear the next unit, and those from then on will be more "grounded."

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Sept 27 2007 at 4:21pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Theresa,
I don't think that threshold is a jump after all. Patrick asked me today what the next Hogwarts assignment was. When I reminded him that he said it was stupid, he said, "Well, yeah, but it was cool, too."
I think that he is rather like a two-year-old who still does need to be told what to do more often than not. he can't figure out whether he's big or little.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 27 2007 at 8:14pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Elizabeth wrote:
he can't figure out whether he's big or little.

Yes, that about sums it up, doesn't it?

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version