Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
High School Years and Beyond (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : High School Years and Beyond
Subject Topic: Help! Need advice on a History text Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
StephanieA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 26 2007 at 4:26pm | IP Logged Quote StephanieA

Some of the back up of Ann Carroll's books can be found in Warren Carroll's Christendom series. We have those too, but they are SLOW going. She used his scholarship (from my understanding) when she wrote her books.
My sisters used the books at Christendom for several history classes.
This fall I am going to have my senior pick one of Warren Carrolls' history texts and read it. It shouldn't kill him, but I'll keep you updated

Blessings,
Stephanie
Back to Top View StephanieA's Profile Search for other posts by StephanieA

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 26 2007 at 7:43pm | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

Just to add to the Anne Carroll conversation, we've found Anne Carroll's cds to be more balanced than her books.

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

mariB
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 27 2007 at 5:45am | IP Logged Quote mariB

I came across Exploring American History by Notgrass. Has anyone used that. They also have Exploring World History and Exploring American Government. I noticed that on the World History reading list he had Immitation of Christ. It is a protestant company, so that makes me hesitant.
The price is reasonable though.

Probably a lot of bias there too?

Back to Top View mariB's Profile Search for other posts by mariB Visit mariB's Homepage

Mare
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 27 2007 at 8:56am | IP Logged Quote Mare

Elizabeth wrote:
does anybody have an opinion on The American Pageant?. This is the text we used in AP History when I was in high school. (This is, of course, an updated version to include the twenty+ years since i graduated.) Since I haven't read it since I was 16, I hesitate to give any opinion at all. But, I had no trouble remembering both title and author and I remembering liking the book. So, with that to go on, can anybody speak for its scholarship?

My dh and I were just talking about this text this morning. I didn't realize that it was still around.

Back to Top View Mare's Profile Search for other posts by Mare

StephanieA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 27 2007 at 10:04am | IP Logged Quote StephanieA

Bailey's book (American Pageant) has come under criticism for its lack of scholarship compared to Tindall, Nash, and Martin's books. Tindall tends to be #1 in the serious AP courses. Tindall isn't hard to read, but it isn't near as fun reading as American Pageant. As I mentioned earlier the latter editions of American Pageant throw in some "crude" (mostly sexual situations), but they aren't a lot of them and easily removed...which is what I did. This witticisms are suppose to keep interest high

There is no perfect text. My brother used Tindall last semester and he liked the way it read. (He's in college). But for my guys, who weren't raised on texts, they preferred Baileys and we use it in high school.
I also like American and its People by Martin. It reads easier than Tindall, IMO also.

Christ and the America's can supplement a more serious text if that is what you are looking for. But I like the Catholic aspect of it and it is worth reading along with the text for just that reason.

Blessings,
Stephanie
Back to Top View StephanieA's Profile Search for other posts by StephanieA

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version