Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Easter Meals Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Maria B.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 10 2007 at 4:53pm | IP Logged Quote Maria B.

Curious ... what is everyone planning for Easter meals - especially breakfast and dinnner?

Back to Top View Maria B.'s Profile Search for other posts by Maria B. Visit Maria B.'s Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: March 10 2007 at 5:19pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

I'm planning to repeat last year's Easter Dinner.

For breakfast, I'm thinking Eggs Benedict...

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

kingvozzo
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 10 2007 at 5:40pm | IP Logged Quote kingvozzo

I have no idea this year. The baby is due on Easter Monday, but will likely be joining us before then. I don't even know if we'll be at home or visiting family in NY. We're totally up in the air!

Back to Top View kingvozzo's Profile Search for other posts by kingvozzo

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 10 2007 at 5:49pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

oh Elizabeth.. Eggs Benedict would be yummy everyone eats that here sorta.. you know.. some have it with no sauce, some have only some of the components .. maybe some cinnamon rolls too.

We have ham and mashed potatoes and the side dishes change from year to year.. we also usually have cheesecake, kolacky and chocolate pound cake. Usually we'll have some sort of bread, maybe a jello salad, green salad, cooked green beans. If I'm having a lot of people and would rather go more of a lunch buffet I'll skip the mashed potatoes and include some deli meats and cheeses as well.. use rolls for the bread so that people can make sandwiches.. lots of sides. I just don't know if we'll have any company this year or not.. last year it coicided with my daughter's birthday and my dh was out of town and I was dealing with morning sickness so.. my daughter picked for her birthday meal.. which was easy.. and we had the ham when dh got home.. but didn't do the big Easter meal.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Philothea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 10 2007 at 7:56pm | IP Logged Quote Philothea

Probably some kind of egg and asparagus quiche and home fries for breakfast with champagne for us grownups and OJ with sparkling H2O for the little guy.

Dinner is always at my sister in law's house and I'm always asked to bring rolls and salad. Since I'm the youngest of the 5 women in the family, they don't let me do much, LOL. I'll probably do a spinach, strawberry, and goat cheese salad with blush wine vinaigrette dressing and get real French rolls and butter at the gourmet shop.

Left to my own devices, I would cook lamb, but I think we are having beef tenderloin this year. Yummy.
Back to Top View Philothea's Profile Search for other posts by Philothea

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 10 2007 at 8:29pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

I don't know about you all, but I think I want to go to Elizabeth's
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

KellyinPA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 11 2007 at 2:29pm | IP Logged Quote KellyinPA

molly wrote:
I don't know about you all, but I think I want to go to Elizabeth's

I would love to go to Elizabeth's even if she wasn't making such a yummy dinner!

We typically go to my mom's for Easter dinner, I'm considering bringing the lamb cake, I love it

the abundant life
Back to Top View KellyinPA's Profile Search for other posts by KellyinPA

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2007 at 4:09pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

We don't have a traditional Easter meal. Every year it is different - ham, fried chicken, lamb chops...potato salad seems to be the one constant. But we do have a tradition for Holy Thursday. We always have gyros with greek salads on the side. This is our version of the Passover meal- lamb, unleavened bread and bitter herbs. The kids look forward to it every year.

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

LisaD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2007 at 6:27pm | IP Logged Quote LisaD

We will have a variation on our usual dinner. We always have lamb, cooked this way:

Roast Leg of Lamb with Rosemary and Garlic

1 6- to 7-pound leg of lamb, trimmed of excess fat
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon peel
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup water

Fresh rosemary sprigs

Place lamb, fat side up, in large roasting pan. Sprinkle with salt. Mix oil, minced rosemary, lemon peel and garlic in bowl. Rub over lamb.

Preheat oven to 350°F. Roast lamb until thermometer inserted into thickest part registers 130°F for medium-rare, basting occasionally with pan juices, about 1hours. Transfer to platter. Tent loosely with foil; let stand for 15 minutes.

Spoon off fat from drippings in roasting pan; add 1/4 cup water to pan. Place on burner over medium heat. Add any lamb juices from platter. Bring to boil, scraping up browned bits on bottom of pan. Season with salt. Keep warm.

Cut lamb into thin slices; arrange on platter. Pour pan juices over. Garnish with rosemary sprigs.

This year, I think we will have these side dishes with it:

Pilaf
Roasted aparagus
Baby carrots
Green salad with berries, candied nuts and parmesan
French bread
Angel food cake was a big hit last year, or I may attempt to use my lamb cake pan.
Champagne and sparkling cider

Breakfast will be whole grain pancakes with chocolate chips, Niman Ranch uncured applewood smoked bacon, and eggs.

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 12 2007 at 11:21am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

For dinner I think I'll do a ham this year. We always had a ham growing up and the past few years I've messed about with lamb instead, it was good but just not quite right, if you know what I mean! So, ham for dinner this year !

Breakfast? I like a bread and fruit for breakfast, it can be set out and munched on through the morning. I used to make a bread that was braided around colored raw eggs which then cooked in the oven, it was very pretty and lots of fun to make. Haven't made it since moving onboard but this year we have access to several artisan bread bakeries that I'm hopeful will have some cool Easter Breads available.
What should I ask for?

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version