Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Spring cleaning? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 09 2007 at 1:28pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

when I do major cleaning with the kids.. I involve them as much as possible.. first we do the general pick up.. usually takes the first day or so just to get completely caught up in all the rooms.

then the next day.. catch them all up again.. should be pretty fast (those of you who consistently do this can skip the first day ) and then do your deep cleaning.. much as you have the time and energy to do.. next day.. get caught up again.. and do more deep cleaning.. until you get done.

oh and my favorite deep cleaning chore when pregnant.. especially late pregnancy.. is cleaning the floor on my hands and knees.. murder on my knees but my back loves it

oh and for cleaning the outside of windows.. get a squeegee like for cleaning car windows

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 09 2007 at 1:47pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

JodieLyn wrote:
oh and my favorite deep cleaning chore when pregnant.. especially late pregnancy.. is cleaning the floor on my hands and knees.. murder on my knees but my back loves it

My 9th month of pregnancy is the ONLY time you can eat off my floor because this feels so good.

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 09 2007 at 6:49pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

We clean during Holy Week (M-W)but we also clean throughout the weeks Motivated Mom style (when I'mnot sick in PG ). This are getting back to that schedule here now.

I clean with the kids around me because I don't have choice. The younger ones are given rags, sponges, and maybe non-toxic cleaner. I given them walls and wondows to scrub. They vacuum, too. The older boys do even more. I also have a teenage girl who helps.

Our Spring cleaning will include:
1. washing all bedding, including comforters
2. washing walls, baseboards, and cabinets
3. washing what windows we can
4. dusting things that don't get it regularly
5. vacuuming furniture and spot cleaning

Everything else cycles throughout the weeks. Even under our beds are cleaned and dusted once a week. (Don't forget I have a regular teenage girl that comes in to help ).

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

Philothea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 09 2007 at 8:37pm | IP Logged Quote Philothea

I did the main level deep clean last weekend (vacuuming floors including under the area rugs and under heavy furniture, vacuuming furniture and drapes, cleaning throw rugs, scrubbing walls and baseboards, washing the front door, and decluttering). This weekend will be the same story on the upper level. The weekend after that I will do the yucky stuff like cleaning the oven (and behind the oven), fridge (and behind the fridge), washer and dryer, fireplace, and vents. The basement is an ongoing project because we're finishing our laundry room, so that whole area will have to wait for now.

I also wait until after flower blossoming time to really clean the exterior windows and siding, otherwise it just gets nasty with pollen in a month anyway.

It honestly only took me like 4 1/2 hours to do everything on the main level last Saturday. I was surprised (and grateful). And the best part is NO MORE DUST!
Back to Top View Philothea's Profile Search for other posts by Philothea

Anne McD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2007 at 6:25am | IP Logged Quote Anne McD

I have to tell you, ladies, that this thread has really inspired me. I decided to completely declutter my house about a week ago, and I'm starting with the upstairs and moving down. Basement is done last, so what can't fit in the storage room is out the door (most goes straight there anyway, but we'll see how much of what I want to keep will actually stay!). This is the first time, however, that I've actually cleaned vertical surfaces, and it feels great! Who knew that walls can get that dirty?? I think the final straw for me was listening to my boys wake up sneezy and snorky for the past week, only to have it dissapate througout the morning. There must be something in their room that they are allergic to. Can you believe there was actually dryer lint on their ceiling fan??

Its weird to be nesting so early, though. Hey, maybe the winds of change are coming in and I'm becoming an organized, efficient housewife?

. . . or maybe I just need more sleep . . .

James 8
Katie 6
William 3 1/2
Benedict Joseph 1
and baby on the way! 10/14
Back to Top View Anne McD's Profile Search for other posts by Anne McD

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: March 14 2007 at 8:18am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Lent is a favorite time of year for me. I've always enjoyed taking the time to refresh my home, purging the excess and unnecessary so that we can make a fresh, unencumbered start for Easter. Visually, it's very uplifting to see that pile of "stuff" headed out the door. Holly Pierlot, in "A Mother's Rule of Life" suggests setting aside one room of your house to be the catch-all room for a while. It could be a spare room, or the garage - as long as you know that it's going to be a walk in closet while you sort through the house. Then you stroll through your home, notebook in hand and stop in each room. Look around that room. What is its purpose in your home. Is it uplifting? Does it evoke a feeling of peace? Does it foster and support the purpose for which it was intended?   Is it working for you?? Make notes about how you'd like that room to function, keeping in mind that there is splendor in the ordinary.   Please don't misunderstand - rooms don't need to be sterile and devoid of every non-utilitarian object, but they do need to be warm, peaceful spaces that serve to glorify God and support our vocations.

After you've made your notes, start in one room, perhaps one that isn't too intimidating, by removing everything that does not support the purpose of that room. Keep in mind you aren't throwing out everything you remove from that room, but if it doesn't belong in that room, remove it. Just dump it all in your catch-all room. Move on one-by-one to all of the rooms in your home - from closets to bathrooms. The last room you come to should be your catch all room. *Sigh* Catch your breath here - the room will be staggering at this point! You will be totally amazed at the amount of stuff you have accumulated in here. My kids call this part of the adventure "shopping at home." As you begin to go through your pile of catch-all stuff you will find for example that although 8 lamps weren't necessary in the entryway, you could certainly use one in one of the kids rooms or other parts of the house.   You get the idea, all of a sudden the thing that didn't belong "there" would really help out over "here." Move through your room re-locating things to other more useful locations in your house. Sort the remaining stuff in the room into two piles - stuff you can't bear to get rid of, but needs to be put away in an attic or closet shelf, and stuff that you'll give away. When you're done, you should have a huge pile of stuff to give away. One year, we had so much stuff left over, we had to call St. Vincent de Paul to bring one of their big trucks out to pick it up. Perhaps you have enough stuff left over for a garage sale. I've found that investing a little extra time one year means that the following years aren't nearly as hard to tackle. In the end, the entire family feels as if we've accomplished a great task. The home is visually de-cluttered. Rooms serve functions that help the family.

After we de-clutter a room, we clean that room only. Kids clean windows, baseboards, wipe surfaces. Cleaning is easy at this point, because everything is in its place. I vacuum everything. I use baby wipes to clean ceiling fans - they're great because then the dust doesn't scoot off and rain down throughout the room. And some fans have that gooked on stuff on top of the blades - you know what I mean? The baby wipes are good at cleaning that off. In fact we use the cheap brand of baby wipes to clean practically everything in the house. It's safe for even the littlest to use and they work on baseboards, schoolroom desks, floors (we don't always get to mopping.) The room is pretty clean at this point, de-cluttered, re-organized to work for the family, dusted, windows sparkly. We move on to another room. During holy week I clean and press curtains and bed quilts.

We do our work in the afternoon, after school. Each week has a particular goal - and I really try to keep it realistic or we're set up for failure. If we get really behind - like if we're 3 weeks into Lent and I discover we haven't gotten much done - I use the weekends.

"The value of life does not depend upon the place we occupy. It depends upon the way we occupy that place."
- St. Therese de Lisieux

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 14 2007 at 4:13pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Maryan wrote:
But the ultimate-spring-cleaning-favorite-activity in my house is the window cleaning. I tilt and the boys spray and wash all the windows (We're spoiled with those kind of tilt-in windows). And then the boys wipe out the windowsills with baby wipes!! They love it!

I don't think I've accomplished spring cleaning in my married life. The last 3 years have been hindered by health reasons, so spring has passed me by. My mother didn't deep clean every year, so I didn't learn the natural rhythms...I'm picking them up from my mil.

And Maryan, I have those windows in my house and didn't realize it. I've been here a year and a half and hadn't figured out how the windows operate. I've been thinking about your post and thought -- "I think my windows must be able to drop down." So we tried it and G and I had a marvellous time cleaning windows. Not all, not even all downstairs. I have a LOT of windows. We're doing this gradually. I'm pooped, but excited. Thanks for writing that!

Now, while on the topic of cleaning, are there any tricks to taking down the vents in the bathrooms? These are generic, contractor bathroom vents in closed bathrooms. I don't want to break them, but it doesn't seem to come down easily...and they need some heavy cleaning!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 14 2007 at 8:49pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

JennGM wrote:
So we tried it and G and I had a marvellous time cleaning windows.

I'm so glad he had a great time!! And you do have a lot of great windows in your house! And what a nice surprise to find that they're tilt wash!

Hmm...I think vents are complicated because of the electricity thing (at least ours are wired). When I notice my vent looking gross, I eventually just vacuum suck and q-tip clean it??

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 14 2007 at 9:23pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Maryan wrote:
Hmm...I think vents are complicated because of the electricity thing (at least ours are wired). When I notice my vent looking gross, I eventually just vacuum suck and q-tip clean it??

Double hmmm...unless I get a ladder, it's not easy reaching up to do that! I think you have some height on me. And our main level has 9 foot ceilings, so very hard to reach! That would be a very, long tedious job with arms outreached with a qtip!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 15 2007 at 7:04am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

She comes through again! Martha's Spring Cleaning List is nice, I think.

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: March 15 2007 at 7:33am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Oooh! Jen! Perfect for the home management notebook!
Is anybody else an "olfactory cleaner?" I'm completely motivated by smells . This is my springtime sensory motivation. My house will smell like honeysuckle!

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Magnificat
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: March 15 2007 at 7:47am | IP Logged Quote Magnificat

Hi everyone-
If you're interested, I put a few natural recipes that I use for cleaning on my blog. Hope you can find them helpful...enjoy!

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 15 2007 at 7:52am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

JennGM wrote:
Double hmmm...unless I get a ladder, it's not easy reaching up to do that! I think you have some height on me. And our main level has 9 foot ceilings, so very hard to reach! That would be a very, long tedious job with arms outreached with a qtip!

Jenn -- I was thinking about that too!

marihalojen wrote:
She comes through again! Martha's Spring Cleaning List is nice, I think.

Wow -- this is great and looks simple! Thanks Jennifer!

Elizabeth wrote:
My house will smell like honeysuckle!

This is so cool! Honeysuckle use to cover the edges of our road as you got to our driveway along the old farm fence barbed wire fence. But two years ago, they built new houses along our road and away went the honeysuckle smell. We'd love to get it back! Thanks Elizabeth!

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 15 2007 at 7:57am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

$15 is not a bad price either, Elizabeth! I do love Honeysuckle, in college our little place had a hammock right beside a creek and honeysuckle grew on both of the support trees and would creep onto the hammock itself. Swinging and studying there in the thick honeysuckle air with the rushing creek at your feet was divine!

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 15 2007 at 8:23am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I'm mad about honeysuckle. After gardenia, it's my favorite scent. I love having the windows down to smell it. Because it's a vine that invades so many places have torn it out, with new construction and such.

mary theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 15 2007 at 9:25am | IP Logged Quote mary theresa

Elizabeth wrote:
Oooh! Jen! Perfect for the home management notebook!
Is anybody else an "olfactory cleaner?" I'm completely motivated by smells . This is my springtime sensory motivation. My house will smell like honeysuckle!

That looks awesome!

mary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 15 2007 at 9:58am | IP Logged Quote mary

does the meyer's brand smell good to you all? i have purchased a few products with different odors and they give my kids and me a headache.   is it just us?   
Back to Top View mary's Profile Search for other posts by mary

mary theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 15 2007 at 11:29am | IP Logged Quote mary theresa

That's funny, Mary, cuz when I was pregnant the Mrs. Meyers brand of laundry detergent made me retch. I had to wash everything in our house, sheets, towels, clothes like twice over in some other detergent to make me stop gagging.
I haven't gone near Mrs. Meyers products (the detergent still smells awful to me! )since then -- but honeysuckle smells so good in real life, so maybe I'll give the cleaning products a try. I'd love to have the house smell like honeysuckle.

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 15 2007 at 11:38am | IP Logged Quote Sarah

mary wrote:
does the meyer's brand smell good to you all? i have purchased a few products with different odors and they give my kids and me a headache.   is it just us?   

Mary,
Tea Tree oil gives me a headache. I don't know why. I want to like it but I get so sick. Sad.

I wonder if the stuff you used had tea tree oil in it?

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version