Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Hidden Treasure
 4Real Forums : Hidden Treasure
Subject Topic: Green Scapular or Brown Scapular Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 04 2007 at 4:10pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

What's the difference and how do you decide which one to wear/ which devotion to practice?

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 04 2007 at 4:21pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Cay, the Green Scapular can be worn by anyone, even someone who is not Catholic, it is a sacramental used when praying for that person's conversion, if the person is happy to wear it, all very good, but it can be left in the person's house, you pray on their behalf, for the grace they need - I believe it can be used in this way too, if the person is in sin and in need of repentance.

Here is a link to the Green Scapular

The Brown Scapular is for those who chose to devote themselves to Mary in a special manner, there is so much to say about the Brown Scapular and it's privileges, that is worth reading the link for it above. I was enrolled as a child and have always worn it and so are all my children. (and dh)

I'll come back later Cay and tell you a beautiful story about someone who wore the green scapular.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 04 2007 at 4:25pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

I should have added, in your case you would wear the Brown Scapular, you become enrolled in the association and that means when your scapular wears out you don't need it blessed as you are perpetually enrolled. I go to the First Friday Mass dedicated to the Sacred and Immaculate Hearts and they call people up to the altar for enrollements every month, for anyone wishing to be enrolled - this is what you would need to find a priest or parish devotion where it is done.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 04 2007 at 4:28pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Oh Cay, back again! I just saw your posting for the 4Real Patron - what a wonderful feast - sounds like another goosebump moment! I think Helen was inspired for many reasons, to start that thread!

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 04 2007 at 5:03pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

23 years ago my Godmother was far away from the faith, her marriage had broken up and she was living with a man whom she had had a child to. Barry, or "Bazza" as he was known as, was a larrikin, a shearer who lead a fairly wild life but he was a lovable rogue. We believe that he was diaganosed with a mental disorder that would explain some of his unpredictable ways. He was a drinker and I don’t know what else, but he was a bit of a hell-raiser. He had a soft spot for the Catholic faith (due to his love for my Nana, whom he called 'Mum') and he was eager to wear a green scapular with a miraculous medal attached to it when it was given to him by my Nana.

One night there was a terrible fire that broke out in my uncle’s house, a log rolled off the fire onto the lounge floor in winter, in the middle of the night. Baz and another drinking mate were camped out, in the house for the night – my uncle and his wife had 5 children. It was a terrible tragedy on the feast of Our Lady of Mt Carmel (oh, I am JUST realizing what I am writing here Cay) My cousin, aged 7 died in this fire as well as Baz and his mate. Baz could have made it but he knew his drinking mate had a wife and a few children himself, and that he was still inside, so he ran back in to save him – they both perished. Here is a portrait I did for my uncle and aunty just recently, as they lost all their photo's of her and had only two little photos that had her in it that others gave them, litte Netty was her name (Annette) - this has crushed their lives completely.

My beautiful godmother came back to the faith 7 years ago, she is an inspiration, the prayers of her now deceased mother had been answered after her death. She struck up a strong friendship with a humble and devote lady in the parish. One day (5 years ago) this lady came up to her and asked, "Did she have a past partner who had died in a fire?" She described him exactly and the event with details known only to the family. My aunty was struck to her core, she had NEVER told this to her or anyone in the parish! Her friend said that she could see a shining scapular and miraculous medal with him.

Her friend told her he needed prayers, a novena to Our Lady that was to finish on the feast of the Immaculate Conception? (I think that was it..) My feelings are that he had been in purgatory all these 18 years and was allowed permission from heaven for prayers for his release. (this is my opinion) My godmother shared this with me, I was dumbfounded too and started praying.

On the eve of the novena finishing, she came up to my godmother after church and said, “His boots are parked at the gates of heaven with light behind them.” My godmother started sobbing, he had these beloved cowboy boots that never left his feet! –they were his pride and joy.

As I said at the beginning Cay, he wore the green scapular. This story has unearthered those strong feelings I felt at the time...

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 04 2007 at 5:31pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

aussieannie wrote:
Oh Cay, back again! I just saw your posting for the 4Real Patron - what a wonderful feast - sounds like another goosebump moment! I think Helen was inspired for many reasons, to start that thread!

That's exactly what made me think to start this thread.

Thank you for so much great information, Annie. I know many will benefit from your knowledge and sharing.

mom to 5
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 04 2007 at 5:37pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

aussieannie wrote:
Here is a portrait I did for my uncle and aunty recently for them, as they lost all their photo's of her and had only two little photos that had her in it, litte Netty was her name (Annette) - this has crushed their lives completely.

As I said at the beginning Cay, he wore the green scapular. This story has unearthered those strong feelings I felt at the time...

Dear Anne,
What a moving story. Thank you so much for sharing it.
Your drawings are beautiful, amazing!!!   What talent the Lord has given you.

And, for what it's worth, my middle name is Annette.

mom to 5

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 04 2007 at 6:07pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Your middle name is Annette? Wow! What a day of co-incidences. (or God-incidences )

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 04 2007 at 6:16pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

I wear the Brown Scapular, but like to hang the green one in the car!

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2007 at 9:21am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Ask Sister Mary Martha

mom to 5

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version