Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: St. Joseph's altar Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
LLMom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 03 2007 at 9:27pm | IP Logged Quote LLMom

I thought I might remind everyone early in case you want to make a home St. Joseph's altar. Before we moved, the church we attended made a beautiful altar for ST. Joseph. I thought it would be neat to have the children do one at home. We are going to collect canned goods and place them on our altar and after Lent is over, we will donate them to the Christian cupboard. I have some of the history of St. Joseph's altar on my blog and I will post pictures as we make it.

Back to Top View LLMom's Profile Search for other posts by LLMom

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 03 2007 at 10:33pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

This is truly a lovely idea, Lisa.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 03 2007 at 10:46pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Great idea, Lisa.

I remembered that there is going to be "A Loveliness of Saint Joseph Altars" scheduled for March 22.

Elizabeth had indicated that for this, we would open an idea thread on the message board and then post about the feast after it happens. So I would say this is a good opportunity to begin talking about ideas for this feast and the altars, don't you think?

Virtual St. Joseph Altar and The St. Joseph's Table have background info and some great pictures.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 05 2007 at 9:53pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

Thanks for the links Mary, I made the dc coloring books for St Josephs day, from the Virtual St Joseph Altar site!
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 06 2007 at 8:14am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Anyone (Mary M?) have any suggested books -- especially picture books -- for a St. Joseph unit; anything about St. Joseph altars?

Inquiring minds want to know ....

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 06 2007 at 12:11pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Mary G wrote:
Anyone (Mary M?) have any suggested books -- especially picture books -- for a St. Joseph unit; anything about St. Joseph altars?

Inquiring minds want to know ....

I'm really in need of picture books for St. Joseph.
Gwen mentioned in this thread Father and Son: A Nativity Story.

Cay has Song of the Swallows for Catholic Mosaic.

Any other suggestions?

As for books on St. Joseph Altars, there isn't much. It's a tradition passed down in Sicilian and some other ethnic communities. I have found a few written books:

The BEST, gorgeous photographs and all is St. Joseph Altars, photography and text by Kerri McCaffety.

There are a few booklets I have found, one called Viva San Giuseppe: A guide for Saint Joseph Altars. A few years ago I was able to purchase it through the mail for $5.00 plus $1.50 postage. All proceeds from the sale of this book will be used to assist the Sisters of St. Joseph in their ministries. Make your check payable to St. Joseph Guild, 1200 Mirabeau Ave., New Orleans, LA 70122. Now that was before Katrina, I don't know if things are changed.

The other was The St. Joseh Altar Traditions of South Louisiana by Ethelyn Orso. Neither of these are full color illustrations.

I also found some local cookbooks, one from Rochester, NY "St. Joseph's Table Recipes" and called the City of Gretna, Louisiana (www.gretnala.com) because they were highly featured in the first book I mentioned. The lady kindly photocopied some articles that featured their Altars. There's a final booklet I haven't managed to find a copy, called Spirit of Independence: The St. Joseph Day Celebration.

I have loads of links, that give lots of information, recipes and pictures...if you want, just ask and I'll provide. The best is the Virtual St. Joseph Altar. Evann Duplantier came from Southern Louisiana to MO, she homeschools, and does a GREAT job.

I have a "crib sheet" that summarizes the St. Joseph Altar Customs that I'll try to share in a bit. Have to go do some laundry and cleaning (and find a safe chicken gumbo recipe for tonight).

Does anyone have a source for fava beans?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 06 2007 at 2:41pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

On my new blog location which isn't official yet, I compiled some St. Joseph Altar information, including a .pdf file with the customs.

In putting this together, I am running in my head how can I make this applicable in my family, since 1) I'm a small family, 2) This is so late in March and I have no time and 3) I have no contacts or groups to do something together. And the other thing mulling in my mind is how to work this into a Fair of Altars, since many of you are in the same boat.

There are some elements that I could do in smaller ways. Collect some food or donations for the poor, makes some symbolic foods for the feast, decorate an altar, pray a novena...

I find there are some elements that are similar to other customs around there year. The "Tuppa-Tuppa" or "Knocking" of the Holy Family is like Los Posados or the Austrian custom of seeking shelter around Christmas. And the memorials, either in pictures or donations are like the Day of the Dead altars in Mexico.

If you notice on the Virtual St. Joseph Altar you make "donations" or "offerings" and I'm thinking maybe that's how we should do the Fair. Pick your offering(s), who they are in memory of, or special intentions. Then share pictures of your altar, decorated, with your offerings, etc.

What do you think? Other ideas, input? Of course, those that are doing a community/parish/group altar, by all means, please share!!!!!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 06 2007 at 4:47pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

JennGM wrote:
On my new blog location which isn't official yet, I compiled some St. Joseph Altar information, including a .pdf file with the customs.

This is great, Jenn. I love the pdf file - very helpful.

JennGM wrote:

In putting this together, I am running in my head how can I make this applicable in my family, since 1) I'm a small family, 2) This is so late in March and I have no time and 3) I have no contacts or groups to do something together. And the other thing mulling in my mind is how to work this into a Fair of Altars, since many of you are in the same boat.
I was thinking the same thing. There is no way that we will pull off a real St. Joseph altar with all the fixings, but I'm excited to see what different adaptations people make for the fair. Maybe it can be more of a general celebrating St. Joseph Feast Day idea fair as well.

JennGM wrote:
Does anyone have a source for fava beans?

Are they supposed to be fresh or dry, Jenn? Either way I think your best bet is one of the natural market/health food stores like Whole Foods. I've found dry fava beans at the health food stores in the past.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 06 2007 at 5:19pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

I found some at a local Italian food market. I am not sure what we are suppose to do with them? eat them or give them out dried? Do you know Jenn? BTW love the new blog
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 06 2007 at 5:22pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

molly wrote:
I found some at a local Italian food market. I am not sure what we are suppose to do with them? eat them or give them out dried? Do you know Jenn? BTW love the new blog

Well, there are recipes to use them cooked, but a fava bean is also included in the "goody bag".

Thanks about the blog. It's totally not ready yet, but I needed to be able to host a page and .pdf file, and blogspirit doesn't have that capability.

LLMom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 06 2007 at 5:42pm | IP Logged Quote LLMom

Before we moved, the church we went to had a sT. Joseph altar every year. They gave away dried fava beans.

Back to Top View LLMom's Profile Search for other posts by LLMom

NachoMama
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: March 07 2007 at 6:14pm | IP Logged Quote NachoMama

You guys are making me so homesick! We are originally from Texas but moved to Illinois 2 years ago due to a job opportunity. My dh is Sicilian American, his grandparents came over on the boat as children, his parents married, and so he is still full blood Italian. The area in Texas where we lived has a high population of Sicilians from these two small towns and the parishes are very Italian as a result. Every year we'd go to the St. Joseph's table and with us so far away, can't make it back to go and it isn't something they do here.

What great ideas on how to celebrate it in our own home! Thanks!
Back to Top View NachoMama's Profile Search for other posts by NachoMama

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 08 2007 at 6:57am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

I'm coming to this from the perspective of never having even seen an Altar before, so take this with a grain of salt!

I think it would be charming to make a Saint Joseph's Altar completely out of cookies for a celebration at home. A rolled out sugar cookie recipe (like at Christmas) could be cut into all the various symbols easily, and decorated with icing which would be rather fun and the result would be edible by the kids whereas 12 real fish laid out on the table and a few bottles of wine and olive oil would still be left on the table afterwards. Now if the point in your family is to take it to a food pantry afterwards, that would be completely different, of course. But for a St. Joseph's Day party making the cookies, decorating them, assembling the tiered Altar, perhaps praying that lovely handwritten prayer Jenn found (below) and then eating the cookies is about my speed!

Just an idea as I'm coming at it from the same perspectives as Jenn - 1) I'm a small family, 2) This is so late in March and I have no time and 3) I have no contacts or groups to do something together - except you ladies and our Fair!

O glorious St. Joseph, spouse of the Immaculate Virgin, obtain for me a pure, humble and charitable mind, and perfect resignation in the Divine Will. Be my guide, father and model through life that I may merit to die as thou didst, in the arms of Jesus and Mary. Amen.

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

theogles
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: March 08 2007 at 12:36pm | IP Logged Quote theogles

FYI for all interested in the dried fava beans. They are to be on the altar when the altar is blessed. After the blessing they are to be passed out to all in attendance. My grandmother always got a few and then put them in special places for St. Joseph to bless....like her wallet. Although it's been a few years since I've been able to go to an altar, I still keep one in my wallet and one in each of my children's rooms.

HTH,
Therese
Back to Top View theogles's Profile Search for other posts by theogles

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 08 2007 at 4:55pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

marihalojen wrote:
I'm coming to this from the perspective of never having even seen an Altar before, so take this with a grain of salt!

I think it would be charming to make a Saint Joseph's Altar completely out of cookies for a celebration at home. A rolled out sugar cookie recipe (like at Christmas) could be cut into all the various symbols easily, and decorated with icing which would be rather fun and the result would be edible by the kids whereas 12 real fish laid out on the table and a few bottles of wine and olive oil would still be left on the table afterwards. Now if the point in your family is to take it to a food pantry afterwards, that would be completely different, of course. But for a St. Joseph's Day party making the cookies, decorating them, assembling the tiered Altar, perhaps praying that lovely handwritten prayer Jenn found (below) and then eating the cookies is about my speed!

Jennifer, I love this idea. I was mulling this over while getting my hair done and had a few other ideas. I don't have links or recipes or names, but I was also visualizing a tower, like the Italian Cookie Cake (multiple cookies), or an Italian version of a croquebouche, with St. Joseph on top. Hey, a tower of St. Joseph cream puffs sounds pretty yummy to me right now, too.

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 12 2007 at 10:09am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Mmmm...they do sound delicious, Jenn!

You know, I saw a tiny St. Joseph statue at Wal-Mart last weekend! It was in the candle row, they also had holy water bottles and lots of rosaries, I'd never seen anything like that at Wal-mart before! The statue was the perfect size to be a cake topper.

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version