Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Hidden Treasure
 4Real Forums : Hidden Treasure
Subject Topic: True Devotion - Chapter 3 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 19 2007 at 2:58pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

" Perfect consecration to Jesus is but a perfect and complete consecration of oneself to the Blessed Virgin; or in other words, it is the perfect renewal of the vows and promises of holy baptism."...Chapt 3, paragraph 120 - True Devotion.

Helen wrote:
We’re using St. Louis De Montfort’s True Devotion to Mary as a starting point because it is a classic, readily available, and foundational element of Marian devotion. If you don’t have any established practices, this book is a very good place to begin. See where it leads you.

Feel free to share your insights and ask questions about the book just as if we were together at the oasis discussing ways to find our Hidden Treasure together.

What is our practical goal?

We have 7 chapters to read and discuss by April the 25th, where we will then start our 33 day preparation to culminate in our consecration on the 27th of May – the feast of Pentecost.

How to approach the third chapter?

If we can all hope to have read this 3rd Chapter by 7th of March? (You don't need to start on this chapter until the 24th of this month, especially if you are still reading the very lengthy, chapter 2.) You can evenly pace yourself with 1 - occasionally 2 paragraphs per day, due to it being a small chapter, allowing time for proper reflection.   With an average of 12 days per chapter, this allows prayer time, for our hearts to be touched and enlightened, asking for Mary’s guidance through it all.   A novena asking for these particular graces, could be a suggestion also, it does not have to be lengthy prayers each day, three Hail Mary’s is powerful.

Most importantly – where do we bring our thoughts for this 3rd Chapter?

This thread will be here for us to keep coming back to, so we may share our many, varied thoughts and to ask questions during this time.   

In the following ten days of silence and reflection we can read this very short (but important) chapter, maybe it is providential we are entering this particular chapter during this time as it is a chapter that clearly outlines the commitment and what is being asked of us in this devotion.    Prayer and reflection should always go with any serious commitment we make to anything but particularly to a life changing, spiritual decision such as this.

Of course we all look forward to discussing this chapter, when the boards open again!

The True Devotion by St Louis de Monfort

PART II: THE PERFECT DEVOTION TO OUR LADY

Chapter 3: The Perfect Consecration to Jesus Christ

1. A complete consecration to Mary

2.   A perfect renewal of baptismal promises

~

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: March 16 2007 at 5:41pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

More questions..    

I am still struggling to understand what is entailed in devotion and consecration according to de Montfort.

de Montfort wrote:
120. As all perfection consists in our being conformed, united and consecrated to Jesus it naturally follows that the most perfect of all devotions is that which conforms, unites, and consecrates us most completely to Jesus. Now of all God's creatures Mary is the most conformed to Jesus. It therefore follows that, of all devotions, devotion to her makes for the most effective consecration and conformity to him. The more one is consecrated to Mary, the more one is consecrated to Jesus.
That is why perfect consecration to Jesus is but a perfect and complete consecration of oneself to the Blessed Virgin

Some people consecrate themselves to the Sacred Heart. Why does de Montfort say that consecration to Our Lady is better than consecration to Jesus Himself. I am not understanding.

de Montfort wrote:
124. (2) It follows then that anyone who in this way consecrates and sacrifices himself voluntarily to Jesus through Mary may no longer dispose of the value of any of his good actions. All his sufferings, all his thoughts, words, and deeds belong to Mary. She can then dispose of them in accordance with the will of her Son and for his greater glory.

This was hard to accept in the instant that I read it! But as I read on and meditated on what he said, I knew that this is best. I often offer my sacrifices for whatever Our Lord deems best, but offering ALL sacrifices ALL the time... well, that was difficult to think of at first. As I said, though, it is really best. Our Lord and Lady are so much better able to properly utilize those offerings than I am!

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 16 2007 at 6:37pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

cathhomeschool wrote:
Some people consecrate themselves to the Sacred Heart. Why does de Montfort say that consecration to Our Lady is better than consecration to Jesus Himself. I am not understanding.

You have great questions Janette as I've looked at all your recent postings ~ take comfort in the fact these are common questions ~ these were my questions once too and I've heard others ask similar things...

I think St Louis is thinking that this devotion is the way we perfectly imitate Jesus' Sacred Heart.   What was in His heart?   Firstly I think it is such a beautiful thought that His physical Heart was formed in secret in Mary's womb, that it was fed and nourished from the blood pumping from her Immaculate Heart, nourished from her whole body and more.. for we know as mothers, that there are mysterious connections often to our emotional wellbeing in pregnancy and our child's personality or health etc....I have also meditated on the fact it is a blessed thing for my unborn child if I have been able to attend Mass and receive Our Lord daily, little things like that. Mary exerted so much influence that Jesus chose to allow ~ in the forming of this Sacred Heart.

Secondly, we know Jesus did everything perfectly, all His plans for salvation were perfect, they would be the most complete way to express and demonstrate His infinite love and this involved the Creator to 'give Himself over...and imitate His masterpiece of creation, His chosen Mother (mysterious it all is ~ He imitates what He has accomplished in His mother perfectly through His grace) ~ nine months in the womb, thirty years in the quiet intimacy of Nazareth and we know too in scripture her influence at the wedding at Cana ~ how many more wonderous things that scripture is silent on? ~ we know it would be many as Mary's humility would have wished that.   We are being invited to do the same.   In this devotion we are saying there can be no better way back to Him, than the way He chose to come to us. I think this point is the key to this devotion's perfection - for we are imitating what Perfection Itself chose when mediating on our behalf and giving Himself completely to us in love ~ God made man.

All devotions are life giving, grace receiving, particularly consecrating ourselves to the Sacred Heart, which I have done but when we say that we give over everything to Our Lady in the True Devotion it means that all other consecrations, good works, prayers we do we ultimately leave in Mary's hands as to whether it is what she wants for us, but I'd be very surprised that if on judgement day Mary has deemed any of these other devotions and prayers offered for others were not her wish too ~ I think we can rest in her perfect motherly judgement.. I've sort of talked myself into another question you had Janette!

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 16 2007 at 6:55pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

cathhomeschool wrote:

Janette,
Anne gave you a great answer. I'll just add that in Catholic devotion, the two devotions are linked. The Sacred Heart and the Immaculate Heart go together. In addition, the three saints principally connected to the devotion to the Sacred Heart St. John Eudes, St. Claude de la Colombiere, and St. Margaret Mary Alocoque were ardently Marian.

If you think True Devotion to Mary is a Marian book, it looks like just the beginning in comparison to St. John Eudes book The Wondrous Childhood of the Virgin Mary! St. John Eudes begins with the Immaculate Conception and meditates on the first 12 years of Our Lady's life.

Is this helpful?

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: March 16 2007 at 9:04pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

aussieannie wrote:
You have great questions Janette as I've looked at all your recent postings ~ take comfort in the fact these are common questions ~ these were my questions once too and I've heard others ask similar things...

Anne, you are kind.      I will admit that I am relieved. I have only been posting my biggest questions, for fear that it would seem like an inquisition if I asked everything.    Fortunately, the answers that you and Helen have given to my big questions answer some of the smaller ones too.   

helen wrote:
Is this helpful?

Yes! You have both helped me to understand everything more clearly. Anne -- I love the connection you draw to Jesus' Sacred Heart being formed within Mary. And Helen -- I guess it's good that I'm starting "small." Maybe someday I'll "graduate" to St. John Eudes.   

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 17 2007 at 5:16am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

cathhomeschool wrote:
I will admit that I am relieved. I have only been posting my biggest questions, for fear that it would seem like an inquisition if I asked everything.   

Oh no Janette! Keep asking them...I think there is some special inspiration behind them as I am finding that other people's questions and statements are helping me give more time to thinking about a particular point or thought ~ I have been consecrated since a teenager but I feel that there is a far deeper level of this devotion that Jesus and Mary are wanting, that I have not lived fully I have this board to thank, for realising this...I think I need prayers that my heart and soul responds to this new found knowledge (a grace) with perserving and rich fruit. I am truly discovering things I've never fully realised before due to other people's questions and concerns and the discussion that arises from it.

I think it extraordinary actually, I feel the presence of Our Lady inspiring and guiding it all.

mariB
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 17 2007 at 6:07am | IP Logged Quote mariB

I was thinking about the questions Janette has asked. And they are good ones! There is so much in this book. I can not help but think I should read a book about the man himself, St. Monfort.

Can any of you recommend any? I am also reading The Secret of the Rosary by St. Monfort.

I know in the past I couldn't understand why the St. Benedict medal was attached to some scapulars. Then we read a book about St. Benedict's life. It was incredible and our family fell in love with him.He has become our family's saint for the year. The book helped so much!

That is why I think it would help me more to read a book about the life of St. Monfort. It may make some of the answers to my questions at times much more clear.

It is just a thought.

Back to Top View mariB's Profile Search for other posts by mariB Visit mariB's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 17 2007 at 6:14am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Marianne, Here is a link to my recommendation for reading about the life of St Louise de Monfort here ~ it is simple reading that the children can hear as well, it was my first introduction to St Louise deMonfort. I have never forgotten the story and it came back to me really easily after reading it recently - it had been almost 20years since I first read it!

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 17 2007 at 6:15am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

I love The Secret of the Rosary too BTW, I like to read excerpts to the children as well, we all love it.

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: March 20 2007 at 11:01pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

Thank you, Anne and Marianne, for your reassurances!

Anne, I have the Windeatt book but had completely forgotten about it. I think that we will use this as our next nightly read aloud. I am interested in finding out about de Montfort's life. (And you are certainly in my prayers, as you asked for prayers that "your heart and soul would respond" to your new found knowledge. I trust that I'm in your prayers too!    )

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 23 2007 at 5:41am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

cathhomeschool wrote:
(And you are certainly in my prayers, as you asked for prayers that "your heart and soul would respond" to your new found knowledge. I trust that I'm in your prayers too!      )

Thank you Janette, you have my prayers and I am very grateful to have yours and those of the other ladies on this same journey....

I am so glad to hear you have the book already ~ I'd love to have you share what you thought of Windeatt's writing of the life of Louise de Monfort when you finally get through it.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version