Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Polish "Fat Thursday" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 15 2007 at 7:44am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

MaryM mentioned a week or so ago that the Polish (ever the front runners in history -- who saved Vienna????) celebrate Fat Thursday (the Thursday before Ash Wed, which would be today) -- Mary M. how would one go about doing that? I'd love to do something tonight with the kids to remind them that they are a bit Polish!

Thanks!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 15 2007 at 7:48am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

One word: Paczki.

But Mary will be more informative.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 15 2007 at 7:56am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

JennGM wrote:
One word: Paczki.

OK, Jenn, so you get me on this rabbit trail and I google "Paczki" and pull up All About Polish Paczki which tells me not only how to pronounce the word, but lots of good info on the jelly doughnut! Here's the recipe that is linked from this page!

OK, now we've got dessert -- do we need dinner?

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Feb 15 2007 at 8:04am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Pierogies, kielbasa, and cabbage?

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 15 2007 at 11:36am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Elizabeth wrote:
Pierogies, kielbasa, and cabbage?
Yes, but Elizabeth, do we NEED to have dinner?

I was thinking of German potato salad and kielbasa (even tho we just had hotdogs last night.....)

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 15 2007 at 11:50am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Mary G wrote:
MaryM mentioned a week or so ago that the Polish (ever the front runners in history -- who saved Vienna????) celebrate Fat Thursday (the Thursday before Ash Wed, which would be today) -- Mary M. how would one go about doing that?

Way to put me on the spot when I am totally clueless! Honestly I couldn't have mentioned this to you since this is the first I've heard of the custom (bad Pole that I must be ). I wonder who you talked to since it wasn't me. Sheepishly steping back in hopes that Jenn will come forward. Though she isn't Polish she does know tons about their religious celebrations and has lots of resources. Most of my Polish resources relate only to Advent and Christmas customs. Sorry.

And yes, we do know paczkis!
So just a google search - sounds like any gluttonous eating of sweet cakes and doughnuts all day will fulfill the custom!

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 15 2007 at 12:53pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

OK, I'm really losing it -- I know SOMEONE mentioned it -- either here on a blog as I had never heard of it either till I read it somewhere!

Let's just open it up to all -- does ANYONE know anything about Fat Thursday? In Polish, it's called Tlusty Czwartek

I'll Google but I know I head it somewhere ......

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 15 2007 at 1:05pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

OK, so here's what I've got so far -- seems you just eat Paczki (pronounced punch-key) all day ... sounds good to me.

Here's a site that gives some details including a link to Paczki pals which are kinda cute!

Here are some more recipes for jelly donuts, Polish-style!

Smacznego!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 15 2007 at 1:08pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Mary, I did have a quick post about Carnival foods that I found in PA, including the paczki. That was the first I had heard about Fat Thursday, too.

I haven't found anything else but Paczki (and Chruscik in some places.) This is my favorite site for Polish customs.

I'd like to think of the Fat Tuesday and Fat Thursday with foods with a combo of sausages (Italian and Polish), doughnuts/fastnachts/Paczki/beignets, French Toast, pancakes, and King Cake. Fried foods and meats to clean out the larder.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 15 2007 at 1:10pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Oops, Mary G.! I posted before I saw your post. We have the same link!

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Feb 15 2007 at 1:15pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Mary,
Have some Polish sausage with your doughnuts and call it good. Sounds like "dinner" to me .

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 15 2007 at 1:23pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

My grocery store in Northern Virginia had special Paczki and King Cake this week, which gets me all thrilled!

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 15 2007 at 1:46pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

All you are getting me hungry...we have packzi in the stores also, so I'm with Elizabeth sounds like a fine dinner to me

Question for all you food experts.....I don't understand when it is traditional to have King cake, I do it for Fat Tuesday, but why do others do it for Ephiphany? Is it the "king" theme, or is there a certain ethnic tradition?
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 15 2007 at 1:59pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

molly wrote:
Question for all you food experts.....I don't understand when it is traditional to have King cake, I do it for Fat Tuesday, but why do others do it for Ephiphany? Is it the "king" theme, or is there a certain ethnic tradition?

The Southern Louisana folks might be able to answer better, but here's what I learned.

For Epiphany many countries have a special bread or cake for this feast, Rosca de los Reyes, Galette (or Gateau) des Roi (or Rois), Twelfth Cake are some examples.

In Southern Louisiana there is a King Cake that is served all through the Carnival season, which starts at Epiphany, but reaches it's climax at Fat Tuesday or Shrove Tuesday. So for us, we serve King Cakes on Epiphany and before Fat Tuesday.

Perhaps I have it incorrect...but it makes sense in my fuddled brain.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 15 2007 at 2:02pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Oh, here are some links that support my 6 week of Carnival and King Cakes theory.

Jane Ramsey
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 15 2007 at 2:39pm | IP Logged Quote Jane Ramsey

Thank you all! I was just thinking this morning that I needed to Google "Polish traditions for Lent"!
I'm Polish, and we have incorporated some of the customs into our Advent/Christmas celebrations, but so far I know very little about Lent/Easter (except the beautiful eggs, of course).
I don't think we'll be doing the jelly donut thing this week, though! We still have cake left over from St. Valentine's. But, there's always next week...
Back to Top View Jane Ramsey's Profile Search for other posts by Jane Ramsey

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 15 2007 at 3:14pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I was figuring on doing sauerbraten and potato pancakes for dinner Tuesday

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 15 2007 at 3:25pm | IP Logged Quote stacykay

I copied this from one of Mary's links:

"In United States Polonia, Paczki Day takes place the Tuesday before Ash Wednesday, traditionally called Fat Tuesday in Carnival. Polish American bakeries also supply Paczki in the hundreds of thousands that day. Often in American Polonia, Paczki Day is celebrated with polka dances. In Roman Catholic grammar schools throughout American Polonia, children enjoy Paczki at school on that day."

Here in the Detroit area, the "Fat Tuesday" is very big (I had never heard of the Fat Thursday- Thanks for this info, Mary!)

Orders have been placed at my 16yods's high school for paczki (and other area Catholic schools.) Personally, my dss don't care for them! They are like a much sweeter and greasier jelly doughnut. That said, it is a huge deal around here. All the news stations show the preparations for the paczki, and the
best places to buy them. I would hazard a guess that most of the people they show in lines aren't Polish.

DH is, ethnically, 100% Polish. I don't think I have a drop! We do have a large Polish population, in the area, though. Lots of Buscia's and Dziadzia's (sp?!?) running around here.

It is the time to get rid of the sweets and butter in the cupboards, in preparation for Lent. I think Jenn covered that. Also a time for cleaning and clearing out excess in the house.

I am glad you brought this up- I had a free dinner slot for Saturday, and we will be having kielbasa! (Most of our Friday dinners are pierogi, year round. )

God Bless,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 15 2007 at 4:04pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

We have a wonderful Polish Village in our city with a beautiful little church, St. Adalberts. (My favorite place to pray, it's so beautiful and serene) Each year they have a HUGE paczki sale, it's a big deal all around the city. They use the $ to proceed the neighborhood. (unfortunetly it's now considered 'inner city' we used to live there, long story, it was a real love/hate deal, so rich in traditions, and infested with drugs and gangs) So we trek up there each year and buy a buncha paczki, and we have keilbasa and potatoes for dinner, paczki for dessert. I loved it one year when I helped with the making of the paczki, those old ladies gaurded that recipe with a vengence. Not a good way to carry the tradition on....

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 15 2007 at 8:34pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Just to put closure to this -- the Paczki were a BIG hit with one and all (and they were a lot of fun to make with the littles -- we call it "cooking math" and it's one of their favorite classes! )

We had kielbasa, German potato salad, green salad and paczki -- a great time was had by all. Don't you just love living the liturgical year? Especially since I'm a mix of ethnicities -- Polish, French Basque, Irish, Slavic -- and then my dh is basically British Isles, we have LOTS of fun even before Lent!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version