Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Elizabeth's Blog Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
bfarmmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 13 2007 at 10:45am | IP Logged Quote bfarmmom

Hi Girls,
Did any of you see Elizabeth's blog today? (I would post the link, but I don't know how to do this )
She wrote about using icons in teaching. Truly beautiful. I was wondering about the wooden figures, have any of you seen these before? I am wondering where I can find some or something similar.

Sonlight Garden
Back to Top View bfarmmom's Profile Search for other posts by bfarmmom Visit bfarmmom's Homepage

Theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 13 2007 at 12:49pm | IP Logged Quote Theresa

Weren't those neat! I've tried to google what I think they might be but haven't run across them yet.

Here is a nativity set that would be similar although it is painted.

bfarmmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 13 2007 at 12:50pm | IP Logged Quote bfarmmom

I started to do some searching around and I found this website Godly play. Have any of you ever heard of this? Looks interesting. I am not sure if they are Catholic.

Sonlight Garden
Back to Top View bfarmmom's Profile Search for other posts by bfarmmom Visit bfarmmom's Homepage

bfarmmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 13 2007 at 12:51pm | IP Logged Quote bfarmmom

Hi Theresa, We posted at the same time. I am going to check out you link now.

Sonlight Garden

bfarmmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 13 2007 at 1:01pm | IP Logged Quote bfarmmom

I found them!!! Worship Woodworks I also figured out how to add links in my post

Sonlight Garden

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Feb 13 2007 at 1:02pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

The wooden figures are at Worship Woodworks. And they are all keyed to the lessons in Following Jesus and Young Children and Worship.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Feb 13 2007 at 1:04pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

And here's a link to the post on icons as curriculum.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)

MLoustalot
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Feb 13 2007 at 1:37pm | IP Logged Quote MLoustalot

Dear all -- from the bio section of the Godly Play website, Dr. Berryman is an Episcopal Priest.

God Bless,
Melinda in SE Texas
Back to Top View MLoustalot's Profile Search for other posts by MLoustalot

bfarmmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 13 2007 at 2:06pm | IP Logged Quote bfarmmom

Thank you Elizabeth. Melinda, thanks for the info. I did see that some of their workshops are held at Catholic churches.

Sonlight Garden

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Feb 13 2007 at 2:35pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

The books I recommended aren't Catholic, but they need very little editing. There aren't Catholic books I know out there wich present the lessons clearly and are easily implemented at home.

margot helene
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 13 2007 at 3:37pm | IP Logged Quote margot helene

Elizabeth wrote:
The wooden figures are at Worship Woodworks. And they are all keyed to the lessons in Following Jesus and Young Children and Worship.

I have the Children and Worship book (got it from Our Father's House years ago) and have looked high and low for those wooden figures. (You should see the sorry looking ones I made) Thanks for the link! They even have the Good SHepherd!!!

Here is one more source for icon unit stuff. Paidea Classics makes these icon ornament kits. They are shrink art - you color them and then bake them. My kids love them. They have a Lenten package.
Margot
Back to Top View margot helene's Profile Search for other posts by margot helene Visit margot helene's Homepage

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 13 2007 at 4:35pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

Thank you Elizabeth I love icons, once again you have done all my work
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

MerchantShips
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Feb 13 2007 at 10:12pm | IP Logged Quote MerchantShips

I'm glad I'm not the only one who went searching for these! I can't wait to have a closer look at what's for sale. Little children would love the figures, and they seem so much more reverent in wood than similar figures in plastic!

Edited to add: Wow, they are pricier than I expected. Worth it, I'm sure, but not in my budget right now. I may try to order the book, then learn how to use my husband's Dremel set and jig saw.
Back to Top View MerchantShips's Profile Search for other posts by MerchantShips

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 14 2007 at 7:43am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Elizabeth wrote:

Elizabeth - which book would have the Lent/Easter presentations - or would I have to get both?

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 14 2007 at 10:41am | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

Merchantships....good idea when being trained to teach the Catechesis of the Good Sheperd we are instructed as instructors to make all our items for the atriums. So you go girl and learn to use those powere tools
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 15 2007 at 6:29am | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

Yes, Elizabeth,thank you for sharing all your research. I've been fascinated with icons since Katherine's post on her blog about the Baptism of our Lord icon. I'm saving it all for when we get a chance to study icons.

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version