Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Hidden Treasure
 4Real Forums : Hidden Treasure
Subject Topic: True Devotion - Chapter 2 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 12 2007 at 12:16am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

"If, then we establish solid devotion to our Blessed Lady, it is only to establish more perfectly devotion to Jesus Christ, and to provide an easy and secure means for finding Jesus Christ."...Chapt 2, paragraph 62 - True Devotion.

Helen wrote:
We’re using St. Louis De Montfort’s True Devotion to Mary as a starting point because it is a classic, readily available, and foundational element of Marian devotion. If you don’t have any established practices, this book is a very good place to begin. See where it leads you.

Feel free to share your insights and ask questions about the book just as if we were together at the oasis discussing ways to find our Hidden Treasure together.

What is our practical goal?

We have 7 chapters to read and discuss by April the 25th, where we will then start our 33 day preparation to culminate in our consecration on the 27th of May – the feast of Pentecost.

How to approach the second chapter?

If we can all hope to have read this 2nd Chapter by 24th of February? You can evenly pace yourself with 2 to 3 paragraphs per day, allowing time for proper reflection. (this chapter's paragraphs are a little lengthier and there are not as many.)

With an average of 12 days per chapter, this allows prayer time, for our hearts to be touched and enlightened, asking for Mary’s guidance through it all.   A novena asking for these particular graces, could be a suggestion also, it does not have to be lengthy prayers each day, three Hail Mary’s is powerful.

Most importantly – where do we bring our thoughts for this 2nd Chapter?

This thread will be here for us to keep coming back to, so we may share our many, varied thoughts and to ask questions during this time.   

Due to the forum being closed for the first ten days of Lent, the third chapter will most probably posted the last day the forum is operating. So Chapter 3 should go up on the 20th of February to still allow everyone to read from the links during the silent, reflective period.

The True Devotion by St Louis de Monfort

Chapter 2: In what Devotion to Mary Consists

1. Basic principles of devotion to Mary

*   First principle: Christ must be the ultimate end of all devotions

*    Second principle: We belong to Jesus and Mary as their slaves

*    Third principle: We must rid ourselves of what is evil in us

*    Fourth principle: It is more humble to have an intermediary with Christ

*    Fifth principle: It is difficult to keep the graces received from God

2. Marks of false and authentic devotion to Mary

1. False devotion to our Lady

~ Scrupulous
~ Superficial
~ Presumptuous
~ Inconstant
~ Hypocritical
~ Self-interested

2. Marks of authentic devotion to our Lady

~ interior
~ trustful
~ holy
~ constant
~ disinterested

3. Principal practices of devotion to Mary

4. The Perfect Practice

~

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 12 2007 at 2:57am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

True Devotion wrote:
"If, then we establish solid devotion to our Blessed Lady, it is only to establish more perfectly devotion to Jesus Christ, and to provide an easy and secure means for finding Jesus Christ."...Chapt 2, paragraph 62 - True Devotion.

I think that this new chapter covers an important worry or concern, for many initially, - does such an 'intimate' devotion to Mary take away from Jesus?

So many questions (great questions) have been coming up in the first week or so and I have questions resulting from them too and I had kept thinking, "What contempary saint's writing can be drawn on for extra interpretation and experience, who has lived and spoken about this devotion?"   Totus Tuus came to mind - the Holy Father was sure to have written about it!

Just responding to this quote which is the one of the first paragraphs in the chapter. I found a letter of Pope John Paul II to the Religious of the Montfortian Congregations on the occasion of the 160th anniversary of the publication of "True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin" - it is simply wonderful reading from a saintly Holy Father who completely lived the True Devotion and would have had great insights of understanding on it, so here is the link to his full letter.

I've just pasted a couple of statements that pertain to the above paragraph ~

Pope John Paul II wrote:
As far as I am concerned, the reading of this book was a great help to me in my youth: "I found the answer to my doubts," which were due to a fear that worship given to Mary "if developed too much, might end by compromising the primacy of the worship of Christ" (My Vocation, Gift and Mystery, pg. 42). Under the wise guidance of St. Louis Marie de Montfort, I understood that, if we live the mystery of Mary in Christ, there is no such risk. This saint's Mariological thought, in fact, "is rooted in the Mystery of the Trinity and in the truth of the Incarnation of the Word of God" (ibid.).

Pope John Paul II wrote:
St. Louis Marie recommends with particular force the loving contemplation of the mystery of the Incarnation. True devotion to Mary is Christocentric. In fact, as the Second Vatican Council reminded us, "Devoutly meditating on her (Mary) and contemplating her in the light of the Word made man, the Church reverently penetrates more deeply into the great mystery of the Incarnation" (Const. Lumen Gentium, 65).

Pope John Paul II wrote:
Devotion to the Blessed Virgin is a privileged means "of reaching Jesus perfectly, loving him tenderly, and serving him faithfully" (True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin, 62). This fundamental desire to "love tenderly" issues forth immediately in an ardent prayer to Jesus, begging the grace to share in the ineffable communion of love which exists between Him and his Mother. The total relativity of Mary to Christ, and in Him to the Holy Trinity, is first seen in this observation: "Lastly, you never think of Mary without Mary thinking of God for you. You never praise or honour Mary without Mary joining you in praising and honouring God. Mary is entirely relative to God. Indeed I would say that she was relative only to God, because she exists uniquely in reference to him. She is an echo of God, speaking and repeating only God. If you say 'Mary' she says 'God'. When St. Elizabeth praised Mary calling her blessed because she had believed, Mary, the faithful echo of God, responded with her canticle, 'My soul glorifies the Lord.' What Mary did on that day, she does every day. When we praise her, when we love and honour her, when we present anything to her, then God is praised, honoured and loved and receives our gift through Mary and in Mary" (True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin, 225).]

The Holy Father was quoting the True Devotion at this point ~

"She is an echo of God, speaking and repeating only God. If you say 'Mary' she says 'God'. When St. Elizabeth praised Mary calling her blessed because she had believed, Mary, the faithful echo of God, responded with her canticle, 'My soul glorifies the Lord.'"

This sounds particularly beautiful.

I can see I will be referring to his letter on many other things to come, for sure....

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

Tifflynene
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Feb 17 2007 at 10:50am | IP Logged Quote Tifflynene

Thank you for addressing the intimate devotion to Jesus. SLM does not address how we should approach the Blessed Sacrament at adoration in relation to a consecration to Mary.

I eagerly await my adoration time each week and now I'm feeling confused about going before Jesus directly.

And thank you so much for the link to the Holy Father's letter. I can't wait to read it!

Mother to 5 living blessings!
ds (age 13); ds (age 8); dd (age 4); ds (age 3); and baby on the way
Back to Top View Tifflynene's Profile Search for other posts by Tifflynene

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 17 2007 at 11:01am | IP Logged Quote Helen

Tifflynene wrote:
Thank you for addressing the intimate devotion to Jesus. SLM does not address how we should approach the Blessed Sacrament at adoration in relation to a consecration to Mary.

St. Peter Julian Eymard, the Apostle of the Eucharist, began his dedication to the Blessed Sacrament by immersing himself in the Hidden Life of Jesus in Nazareth in the presence of Our Lady. St. Peter Julian Eymard frequently refers to Our Lady as the perfect Tabernacle, the most beautiful Ostensorium (sp)?, the worthy chalice of the Lord.

His devotion to the INcarnation led him to great, mystical devotion to the Real Presence.

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

Tifflynene
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Feb 17 2007 at 11:17am | IP Logged Quote Tifflynene

Thank you Helen!

I will look up St. Julian Eymard...I would like to read more about him. Do you have a good source for his devotion?

Your knowledge is a gift and inspiration here!

Mother to 5 living blessings!
ds (age 13); ds (age 8); dd (age 4); ds (age 3); and baby on the way
Back to Top View Tifflynene's Profile Search for other posts by Tifflynene

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 18 2007 at 7:16am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Tifflynene wrote:
I eagerly await my adoration time each week and now I'm feeling confused about going before Jesus directly.

I look at it as being with Our Lord in the presence of Our Lady, that there is no distance between the three of us. Similar to when I receive Holy Communion, I say as going up, "Dear Mary, please come into my heart and soul, so that Jesus will enter your heart and soul a fitting and most perfect dwelling place (within me)...." I feel that we are recieving Jesus together, it is just that Mary's presence makes our union more perfect, it is returning to Our Lord the way He chose to come to me (and all of us.)

I remember when Pope John Paul II wrote his apostolic letter on the Rosary, Rosarim Virginis Mariae he uses beautiful language to describe our relationship with Mary when contemplating Christ(in the rosary but it can be applied even more aptly to Eucharistic Adoration):

Pope John Paul II wrote:
With the Rosary, the Christian people sits at the school of Mary and is led to contemplate the beauty on the face of Christ and to experience the depths of his love.

To recite the Rosary is nothing other than to contemplate with Mary the face of Christ.

Wow! Actually the whole document talks about this relationship between us, Mary and Jesus, it is worth reading.

Then the he addresses Eucharistic adoration and talks about Our Lady and her role in that too -Letter to Priest in 2005 Holy Thursday and here is a quote from it:

Pope John Paul II wrote:

A "Eucharistic'' life at the school of Mary

8. The relationship between the Blessed Virgin Mary and the Eucharist is a very close one, as I pointed out in the Encyclical Ecclesia de Eucharistia (cf. Nos. 53-58). In its own sober liturgical language, every Eucharistic Prayer brings this out. Thus in the Roman Canon we say: "In union with the whole Church we honour Mary, the ever-virgin Mother of Jesus Christ our Lord and God". In the other Eucharistic Prayers, honour leads to petition, as for example in Prayer II: "Make us worthy to share eternal life with Mary, the virgin Mother of God."

In recent years, I have warmly recommended the contemplation of the face of Christ, especially in my Letters Novo Millennio Ineunte (cf. Nos. 23ff.) and in Rosarium Virginis Mariae (cf. Nos. 9ff.), and I have pointed to Mary as our great teacher. In the Encyclical on the Eucharist I then spoke of her as the "Woman of the Eucharist" (cf. No. 53). Who more than Mary can help us taste the greatness of the Eucharistic mystery? She more than anyone can teach us how to celebrate the sacred mysteries with due fervour and to commune with her Son, hidden in the Eucharist. I pray to her, then, for all of you, and I entrust to her especially the elderly, the sick, and those in difficulty. This Easter, in the Year of the Eucharist, I gladly repeat to each of you the gentle and consoling words of Jesus: "Behold your Mother" (Jn 19:27).

With writings like this we will NEVER forget what an incredible blessing he was and still is, to the whole world.

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 18 2007 at 7:35am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

I've just read my own quoting above and seeing that the Holy Father referred to his Encyclical on the eucharist, Ecclesia De Eucharistia I found it and read what was mentioned in relation to Our Lady, it is long but here it is:

Pope John Paul II wrote:
AT THE SCHOOL OF MARY,
“WOMAN OF THE EUCHARIST”

53. If we wish to rediscover in all its richness the profound relationship between the Church and the Eucharist, we cannot neglect Mary, Mother and model of the Church. In my Apostolic Letter Rosarium Virginis Mariae, I pointed to the Blessed Virgin Mary as our teacher in contemplating Christ's face, and among the mysteries of light I included the institution of the Eucharist.102 Mary can guide us towards this most holy sacrament, because she herself has a profound relationship with it.

At first glance, the Gospel is silent on this subject. The account of the institution of the Eucharist on the night of Holy Thursday makes no mention of Mary. Yet we know that she was present among the Apostles who prayed “with one accord” (cf. Acts 1:14) in the first community which gathered after the Ascension in expectation of Pentecost. Certainly Mary must have been present at the Eucharistic celebrations of the first generation of Christians, who were devoted to “the breaking of bread” (Acts 2:42).

But in addition to her sharing in the Eucharistic banquet, an indirect picture of Mary's relationship with the Eucharist can be had, beginning with her interior disposition. Mary is a “woman of the Eucharist” in her whole life. The Church, which looks to Mary as a model, is also called to imitate her in her relationship with this most holy mystery.

54. Mysterium fidei! If the Eucharist is a mystery of faith which so greatly transcends our understanding as to call for sheer abandonment to the word of God, then there can be no one like Mary to act as our support and guide in acquiring this disposition. In repeating what Christ did at the Last Supper in obedience to his command: “Do this in memory of me!”, we also accept Mary's invitation to obey him without hesitation: “Do whatever he tells you” (Jn 2:5). With the same maternal concern which she showed at the wedding feast of Cana, Mary seems to say to us: “Do not waver; trust in the words of my Son. If he was able to change water into wine, he can also turn bread and wine into his body and blood, and through this mystery bestow on believers the living memorial of his passover, thus becoming the 'bread of life'”.

55. In a certain sense Mary lived her Eucharistic faith even before the institution of the Eucharist, by the very fact that she offered her virginal womb for the Incarnation of God's Word. The Eucharist, while commemorating the passion and resurrection, is also in continuity with the incarnation. At the Annunciation Mary conceived the Son of God in the physical reality of his body and blood, thus anticipating within herself what to some degree happens sacramentally in every believer who receives, under the signs of bread and wine, the Lord's body and blood.

As a result, there is a profound analogy between the Fiat which Mary said in reply to the angel, and the Amen which every believer says when receiving the body of the Lord. Mary was asked to believe that the One whom she conceived “through the Holy Spirit” was “the Son of God” (Lk 1:30-35). In continuity with the Virgin's faith, in the Eucharistic mystery we are asked to believe that the same Jesus Christ, Son of God and Son of Mary, becomes present in his full humanity and divinity under the signs of bread and wine.

“Blessed is she who believed” (Lk 1:45). Mary also anticipated, in the mystery of the incarnation, the Church's Eucharistic faith. When, at the Visitation, she bore in her womb the Word made flesh, she became in some way a “tabernacle” – the first “tabernacle” in history – in which the Son of God, still invisible to our human gaze, allowed himself to be adored by Elizabeth, radiating his light as it were through the eyes and the voice of Mary. And is not the enraptured gaze of Mary as she contemplated the face of the newborn Christ and cradled him in her arms that unparalleled model of love which should inspire us every time we receive Eucharistic communion?

56. Mary, throughout her life at Christ's side and not only on Calvary, made her own the sacrificial dimension of the Eucharist. When she brought the child Jesus to the Temple in Jerusalem “to present him to the Lord” (Lk 2:22), she heard the aged Simeon announce that the child would be a “sign of contradiction” and that a sword would also pierce her own heart (cf. Lk 2:34-35). The tragedy of her Son's crucifixion was thus foretold, and in some sense Mary's Stabat Mater at the foot of the Cross was foreshadowed. In her daily preparation for Calvary, Mary experienced a kind of “anticipated Eucharist” – one might say a “spiritual communion” – of desire and of oblation, which would culminate in her union with her Son in his passion, and then find expression after Easter by her partaking in the Eucharist which the Apostles celebrated as the memorial of that passion.

What must Mary have felt as she heard from the mouth of Peter, John, James and the other Apostles the words spoken at the Last Supper: “This is my body which is given for you” (Lk 22:19)? The body given up for us and made present under sacramental signs was the same body which she had conceived in her womb! For Mary, receiving the Eucharist must have somehow meant welcoming once more into her womb that heart which had beat in unison with hers and reliving what she had experienced at the foot of the Cross.

57. “Do this in remembrance of me” (Lk 22:19). In the “memorial” of Calvary all that Christ accomplished by his passion and his death is present. Consequently all that Christ did with regard to his Mother for our sake is also present. To her he gave the beloved disciple and, in him, each of us: “Behold, your Son!”. To each of us he also says: “Behold your mother!” (cf. Jn 19: 26-27).

Experiencing the memorial of Christ's death in the Eucharist also means continually receiving this gift. It means accepting – like John – the one who is given to us anew as our Mother. It also means taking on a commitment to be conformed to Christ, putting ourselves at the school of his Mother and allowing her to accompany us. Mary is present, with the Church and as the Mother of the Church, at each of our celebrations of the Eucharist. If the Church and the Eucharist are inseparably united, the same ought to be said of Mary and the Eucharist. This is one reason why, since ancient times, the commemoration of Mary has always been part of the Eucharistic celebrations of the Churches of East and West.

58. In the Eucharist the Church is completely united to Christ and his sacrifice, and makes her own the spirit of Mary. This truth can be understood more deeply by re-reading the Magnificat in a Eucharistic key. The Eucharist, like the Canticle of Mary, is first and foremost praise and thanksgiving. When Mary exclaims: “My soul magnifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Saviour”, she already bears Jesus in her womb. She praises God “through” Jesus, but she also praises him “in” Jesus and “with” Jesus. This is itself the true “Eucharistic attitude”.

At the same time Mary recalls the wonders worked by God in salvation history in fulfilment of the promise once made to the fathers (cf. Lk 1:55), and proclaims the wonder that surpasses them all, the redemptive incarnation. Lastly, the Magnificat reflects the eschatological tension of the Eucharist. Every time the Son of God comes again to us in the “poverty” of the sacramental signs of bread and wine, the seeds of that new history wherein the mighty are “put down from their thrones” and “those of low degree are exalted” (cf. Lk 1:52), take root in the world. Mary sings of the “new heavens” and the “new earth” which find in the Eucharist their anticipation and in some sense their programme and plan. The Magnificat expresses Mary's spirituality, and there is nothing greater than this spirituality for helping us to experience the mystery of the Eucharist. The Eucharist has been given to us so that our life, like that of Mary, may become completely a Magnificat!

The deeper our relationship with Mary, the deeper our relationship with the Eucharistic Lord.

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 18 2007 at 1:58pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

Thanks Anne for all your work.
I really appreciate having all this information in one place.

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

mariB
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 05 2007 at 5:52am | IP Logged Quote mariB

The fourth principle in chapter is amazing to me:

IT IS MORE HUMBLE TO HAVE AN INTERMEDIARY WITH CHRIST

I have never thought of this before! Imagining Jesus as our Mediator with a capital "M" and then imagining Mary as our mediator with a lower case "m" struck me to the core.

In paragraph 85 Montfort states, "Are we pure enough to be united directly to Christ without any help? Is Jesus not God, equal in every way to the Father? If in his infinite love he became our security and our Mediator with his Father, whom he wished to appease in order to redeem us form our debts, should we on that account show him less respect and have less regard for the majesty and holinesss of his person?"

"To go to Jesus, we should go to Mary, our mediatrix of intercession. To go to go to God the Father, must go to Jesus, our Medator of redeption"

This is BEAUTIFUL!

The fifth principal is like looking into a mirror. That we lose graces due to lack of humility!

Paragraph 88:

"How many cedars of Lebanon, how many stars of the firmament have we sadly watched fall and lose in a short time their loftiness and their brightness! What has brought this unexpected reverse? Not the lack of grace, for this is denied no one. IT WAS LACK OF HUMILITY; they considered themselves stronger and more self-sufficient than they really were"

Because the greatest have fallen at times, we should be running to Mary and asking her to pray for our humility! Never thought of praying for that before until now. I have been humbled many times and now I am so thankful for those times realizing that it was a protection of graces!

Back to Top View mariB's Profile Search for other posts by mariB Visit mariB's Homepage

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: March 16 2007 at 5:30pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

I have continued reading along, jotting down notes and questions, but have not had a chance to post. I hope to get several things posted now if the kids keep playing nicely outside!

de Montfort wrote:
83. ...He saw our unworthiness and helplessness and had pity on us. To give us access to his mercies he provided us with powerful advocates, so that to neglect these mediators and to approach his infinite holiness directly and without help from any one of them, is to be lacking in humility and respect towards God who is so great and holy. It would mean that we have less esteem for the King of kings than for an earthly king or ruler, for we would not dare approach an earthly king without a friend to speak for us.

I disagree with this (possibly because I lack humility or hopefully because I am again misunderstanding what he is saying). It is good to ask saints and Mary to pray for us and intercede for us (I do so many times a day), because they are already before the face of God and the more people pray for us the better. But I do not think that our personal prayer to God must always be brought first to an intercessor. He is a king, yes, but He is also our Father. And while I have the utmost respect for both my earthly and Heavenly fathers, I do not feel that I “have” to have an intercessor to go before them. And if on Earth my "real" father were king, I wouldn't have a friend speak in my behalf. I would speak to him myself. Does that make sense?

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 16 2007 at 6:59pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

cathhomeschool wrote:
It is good to ask saints and Mary to pray for us and intercede for us (I do so many times a day), because they are already before the face of God and the more people pray for us the better. But I do not think that our personal prayer to God must always be brought first to an intercessor.

Janette, it's funny this is the topic I posted on in the chapter 4 thread. The concept of continually cultivating the conversation with the Lord through Our Lady. I think it goes to the heart of consecration/True Devotion to Mary. Check the chapter 4 thread the idea of being chisled into a saint or melted by the flame of Mary's candle.
ETA: Chapter 4 Thread

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: March 16 2007 at 8:52pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

Thank you, Helen! I sat down to read the chapter 4 thread, but motherly duties called, and I didn't get past the first post. I look forward to reading!

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: March 16 2007 at 9:52pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

Helen, that is funny -- because I stopped reading the Chapter 4 thread this evening right before your post so that I could read a bit more of True Devotion Ch 4 first (I had only read the first point). I had an "aha!" moment just now when I read 143. "...it teaches us never to go alone directly to our Lord, however gentle and merciful though He may be..." At last, an answer that I can understand as to why I shouldn't go directly to the Father! And then I read your post in the Chapter 4 thread and saw that you point to the same exact thing.      

So if I could just keep my questions to myself for a few chapters, maybe everything will be answered.   

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 17 2007 at 6:58am | IP Logged Quote Helen

cathhomeschool wrote:
So if I could just keep my questions to myself for a few chapters, maybe everything will be answered.   

Oh no! please don't keep your questions to yourself! They're too good.

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: March 20 2007 at 10:52pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

Thank you, Helen. You are so kind!   

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version