Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Book Club
 4Real Forums : Book Club
Subject Topic: CM vol 6 --ch 1 Self-Education Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Genevieve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 15 2007 at 9:45pm | IP Logged Quote Genevieve

WJFR wrote:

Quote:
Knowledge is not sensation, nor is it to be derived through sensation; we feed upon the thoughts of other minds; and thought applied to thought generates thought and we become more thoughtful.

This seems to be her objection to methods of education that rely too heavily on "sensory" things. She thinks these things -- such rhythmic dancing, sensory work, creative self-expression, are valuable, but not sufficient in themselves.

Willa, or anyone else, could you elaborate more on knowledge is not sensation? You mention rhythimic dancing and creative self-expression. How is this different from narration with a twist? A lot of narrations my 4 year old gives me is through painting and forming clay. It shows me what expreiences and books have touched his heart. Perhaps I am confused with Montessori sensorial work. Then again, Montessori talks how a child learns through sensorial experiences during the early years. It is through sensorial knowledge that the child can form abstract ideas.

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 17 2007 at 7:44pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

Genevieve wrote:
Willa, or anyone else, could you elaborate more on knowledge is not sensation? You mention rhythimic dancing and creative self-expression. How is this different from narration with a twist? A lot of narrations my 4 year old gives me is through painting and forming clay. It shows me what expreiences and books have touched his heart. Perhaps I am confused with Montessori sensorial work. Then again, Montessori talks how a child learns through sensorial experiences during the early years. It is through sensorial knowledge that the child can form abstract ideas.

I think the time CM was writing was when there were a bunch of spin-offs of Montessori's and Rudolf Steiner's thoughts on children.   It was a time of transition of educational thought and the educational experimentation mingled with the philosophy of the time, which had tendencies towards Modernism.   

CM thought handiwork and hands-on and disciplined movement were very good things and planned these into the school schedule.

However, she was trying to point out that these things in themselves aren't enough.   Not that they aren't good, but that they aren't knowledge.

I think from reading the Pope's encyclical written around the same time, and from some writings from Chesterton and others, that there must have been a misunderstanding about knowledge in the air at that time.   There is a Latin word "ducere" which means to draw and also to lead or guide and the word "education" is based on that Latin.      So I think some thinkers on education thought that education was just a matter of "drawing out" what was already inside the child.

Charlotte Mason's position is a bit different, but sometimes confused with this one.   She thought children were born complete persons, but that the "food" of the mind was Ideas and that led to knowledge.   So rhythmic movements and arts and crafts might put the body (and consequently the mind, since they are so integrally related) in better form to receive and assimilate ideas, but they weren't Ideas and only ideas lead to knowledge.

Of course, your example of using materials and movement to EXPRESS ideas is quite a bit different because as you say, it's a form of narration.   She did have children put on little skits or write poetry or make relief maps in the sand, things like that as a form of narration.   She also had them draw their own illustrations of books they were reading.   So you are very much on the right track!

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 17 2007 at 7:45pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

PS I'm not saying that MOntessori or Steiner were modernistic, just in case that was not clear.   I don't exactly know how CM felt about Montessori or Waldorf. I just wanted to point out that some of the educational excesses of CM's times pointed back to false theories of what the human being was like.   

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 18 2007 at 11:44am | IP Logged Quote Lissa

MicheleQ wrote:
Well, um, gee I'm feeling a bit self conscious here. I was hoping I'd come back and find a good conversation going but now I'm wondering if everyone whose read this just thinks I am full of it.

Doesn't anyone have anything else to say??

Michele, here it is a week and a half later, and I am only just now getting to read the thread! I'll read the rest before I add my comments, but for now just wanted to say I loved what you & Willa wrote, and you are most certainly NOT full of it!

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 18 2007 at 11:48am | IP Logged Quote Lissa

Mary G wrote:
Michele -- how could I think you're full of it?

I just re-read chapter 1 tonight and agree with most (if not all )of what you say. This chapter (and in fact this book) really sold me on CM's philosophy of education. I'm just not sure why she never went the "whole way" and suggested folks homeschool as who is more apt to see the whole child, the potential of the child and his/her person-ness.

I like her distinction between a well-written text and a "rhetorical passage written in journalese" -- basically, altho she doesn't use the term here -- living books vs twaddle.

I really like her closing line at the end of Chap 1:
The teacher who allows his students the freedom of the city of books is at liberty to be their guide, philosopher and friend; and is no longer the mere instrument of forcible intellectual feeding.

Mary, I love that quote too! I even blogged about it yesterday!! I was musingmusing about how very much CM's ideas shaped me as a mother (not just a homeschooler but the whole picture).

Willa wrote:
I think from reading the Pope's encyclical written around the same time, and from some writings from Chesterton and others, that there must have been a misunderstanding about knowledge in the air at that time.   There is a Latin word "ducere" which means to draw and also to lead or guide and the word "education" is based on that Latin.      So I think some thinkers on education thought that education was just a matter of "drawing out" what was already inside the child

Willa, I think that's a very good description of Steiner's beliefs...so much of what he recommended had to do with presenting material which was supposed to parallel the child's physical and spiritual developmental stage. Old Testament stories at age nine to parallel the rebelliousness of the "nine-year change;" ancient Rome at age 12 when children are supposed to be logical and pragmatic; and so forth. And the teacher is only to present the material in a somewhat raw form and let it "speak" to the inner workings of the child. This viewpoint suggests a kind of esoteric, innate spiritual knowledge (connected of course to Steiner's belief in reincarnation and karma) which it is the teacher's job to, as you say, draw out; and so yes, I would agree that CM is countering those ideas with her understanding of knowledge as something that grows out of study, observation, and thought (and also maturity), and which is the result of chewing on well-articulated Ideas and pondering relationships and connections.

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 20 2007 at 8:49am | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Lissa wrote:
MicheleQ wrote:
Well, um, gee I'm feeling a bit self conscious here. I was hoping I'd come back and find a good conversation going but now I'm wondering if everyone whose read this just thinks I am full of it.

Doesn't anyone have anything else to say??

Michele, here it is a week and a half later, and I am only just now getting to read the thread! I'll read the rest before I add my comments, but for now just wanted to say I loved what you & Willa wrote, and you are most certainly NOT full of it!

Oh Lissa how embarrassing! Forgive me everyone for my petulance. I shouldn't have written that...and here it is all this time later and I haven't responded to everyone's wonderful comments either! No time - life's pretty busy right now.

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version