Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: need knitting help Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 01 2007 at 12:42am | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

I'm working on a pair of these booties for Maria:

This is my first time knitting booties so I'm needing a little help understanding a few things. I am at a point where the directions say to "Break yarn (does this mean cut the yarn?) and then "With right side of work facing, rejoin yarn to the inside edge of the 10 stitches and pick up and knit 7 stitches along the side of the foot, knit across 9 stitches on the needle, pick up and knit 7 stitches along the other side of the foot, and finally knit across the remaining 10 stitches."

I'm just not sure I understand this (I can't "see" it in my head yet) and it seems I may have too many stitches although I was sure I had counted right up to this point.

Here's a picture of where I'm at:

Can someone (Mary G., Nissa?) help me understand what I'm supposed to do next?

Thanks!

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

lilac hill
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 01 2007 at 6:25am | IP Logged Quote lilac hill

Disclaimer: I knit backwards, self taught, left hander. but patterns still work

Yes break/cut the yarn, leave enough of a tail to weave in.
You are trying to shpe this flat anchor shaped piece.

From the picture ...
Picture it as tracing the perimeter of the anchor, starting at the tip of your right needle.

I would start picking up stitches along the up and down (North/south )flap, near the point of the right needle.
Then knit the top flap, where you just broke the yarn.
The pick up the stitches along the other sie of the flap.(Down the other side of the north/south flap)

Then the stitches on the stitch holder.

I am guessing that this is a top down pair of booties. Are you changing your pattern to knit every row now so you can knit the sole?

Wife to Rick (7/83), Mom to dd#1(6/87), dd#2(1/90), and dd#3(6/94) in central PA.
Back to Top View lilac hill's Profile Search for other posts by lilac hill

nissag
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 01 2007 at 7:37am | IP Logged Quote nissag

Viv is exactly right - I've made these booties a few times. Here are the ones I made for Louis.

The first time I made this pattern, I had the same problem. Just leave your pick-up tail long enough to snug up the stitches easily - those corners want to pull loose a bit.

It's one of my favorite patterns - I love that whole book. If you make "Mabel" for Maria, I'd love to know! I also have Simple Crochet - yummy!

At Home With the Gadbois Family

Back to Top View nissag's Profile Search for other posts by nissag Visit nissag's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 01 2007 at 7:38am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Viv -- you did great!

Yes, Michele, "break the yarn" just means to cut the yarn. You're moving from doing flat knitting for the top to knitting the sole of the bootie. You're going to "join" those 3 areas on needles/pin to shape the foot. The bottom looks like garter? So you'll knit back and forth and then sew up the back seam.

Clear as mud?

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 01 2007 at 7:42am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Michele,

You're stitch count is fine. K the sts on the rh needle that has 10, you'll p/u sts along the edge (7), then knit across the 9 on the top needle, then p/u 7 on the edge, then finish knitting the 10 sts on the pin. You should now have 43 sts on your needle. This, again, will make that flat shape look like a boot.

Does that help?

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Louise
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 01 2007 at 8:57am | IP Logged Quote Louise

Michele,
May I ask you a question? How long is Maria's foot? I have started to knit little bootees for her, but they look very small. I am using the pattern in size 0 to 3 months, on p.83 in the book Knitting for Two. So far I have made two left feet (one for Mia and one for Kim's Tess ). Before I finish the other two I would like to know if they have any chance to fit.
Louise,
Whose children are enjoying our very first snow!

Back to Top View Louise's Profile Search for other posts by Louise Visit Louise's Homepage

Louise
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 01 2007 at 9:38am | IP Logged Quote Louise

Talking about knitting, I just read Rita's February journal entry. I think all of us knitter can relate in a special way to her words.

Michele, I hope you were able to figure out how to finish Maria's bootee.

Back to Top View Louise's Profile Search for other posts by Louise Visit Louise's Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 01 2007 at 10:52am | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Louise wrote:
Michele,
May I ask you a question? How long is Maria's foot? I have started to knit little bootees for her, but they look very small. I am using the pattern in size 0 to 3 months, on p.83 in the book Knitting for Two. So far I have made two left feet (one for Mia and one for Kim's Tess ). Before I finish the other two I would like to know if they have any chance to fit.   

Louise this is so sweet of you! I LOVE those booties (I have that book). Well, I just measured Maria's foot the other day (when I started on these booties) and it's 3.5 inches from the top of her big toe to her heel.

Thanks for the help Viv and Nissa and Mary (Nissa I didn't realize you had made those booties for Louis). I haven't had a chance to work on them again yet...too busy today but I'll yell for help if I need it.

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 01 2007 at 12:17pm | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

MicheleQ wrote:
   Well, I just measured Mara'is foot the other day (when I started on these booties) and it's 3.5 inches from the top of her big toe to her heel.

No constructive advice to give. I just wanted to say, "Awwww..." Just the thought of that tiny foot just makes me smile and feel all warm.

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 01 2007 at 12:18pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Louise wrote:
Talking about knitting, I just read Rita's February journal entry. I think all of us knitter can relate in a special way to her words.

Louise,

THANKS so much for this link -- I love the way Rita words things and anything about knitting is always wonderful for me to read. THANKS!

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 13 2007 at 5:42pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

I wanted to say thanks to everyone for your help. I did get the booties done:

They're too small for Maria but my niece Mandee is due to have a baby any day so these are going to be for her little boy. I'm making Maria the next size up in what's left of the yarn I dyed pink.

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 13 2007 at 6:49pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Michele --

thanks so much for posting a picture -- they look really cute and any knitting is never going to go to waste! Maria's little tootsies must be big, eh?

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 13 2007 at 7:19pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Mary G wrote:
Maria's little tootsies must be big, eh?

Don't go there Mary (you read that comment huh?)

Her feet are growing yes and these booties are a tad too small so I'm making her bigger ones... in pink!

Louise
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 15 2007 at 12:36pm | IP Logged Quote Louise

Oh, I'm glad I made some new bigger ones! As soon as I sew them up I'll send them your way. And with the way she is growing, I better hurry !   

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version