Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: nursing shirt Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 11 2013 at 10:15am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I think this is a good thread. I love how people have resources both for getting nursing shirts AND for how to manage if they don't work for you.

It's really all about the fit. Because of the way I'm built I have a hard time finding shirts that fit and I never found a nursing shirt that would fit. When you go up sizes most shirts are made for a larger person rather than a larger bust even in nursing tops and often the slits are in the wrong place.

but that doesn't mean that they waren't wonderful for those that they fit correctly.

And it also doesn't mean that the rest of us have to hide under blankets even on the hottest days.. lots of ideas above already. But again shirts that fit for what you want to do.. when the shirts are loose enough in the right places.. button downs that only need a few bottom buttons undone or tees that are loose enough to lift in one spot without exposing your whole torso and baby covers your tummy in the small gap are just as modest as a well fitted nursing top including for having to carry baby around while nursing, with or without a sling or other carrier.

The main point I realy think is to find something that fits you well and will work in one way or another for nursing. So go out and try those nursing tops and don't forget to check the slit placement.. because a nursing top that you have to fight with can be more immodest than a regular top that will stay down in all the right places.

I nursed babies for 16+ years anywhere and everywhere and did it modestly and even the couple of nursing tops I owned I found worked better for me to lift from the hem rather than the nursing slits.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

asplendidtime
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 11 2013 at 11:29am | IP Logged Quote asplendidtime

Lost my message trying to find this link:

Angry Chicken's no-sew perfect cardigan from a t-shirt

Was going to say that I have the same wardrobe problem as Jodie, but lifting has its issues to with exposing my back. Saw lots of backs in the Mothers' room at our local HS Convention. So I too use a belly band or layer, with another shirt, a woven buttoned shirt or a cardigan, which when undone, acts as a nice discreet "cape" around the back and side.

I must try the no-sew one though!

Mary 14,
Tim 13,
Jonah 12,
Josh 10,
Zoe 9,
Will 7,
Peter 6,
Laura-Mae 4,
Emily-Joy 2,
Genevieve & Gabriella 1
Back to Top View asplendidtime's Profile Search for other posts by asplendidtime Visit asplendidtime's Homepage

Angi
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 11 2013 at 10:58pm | IP Logged Quote Angi

I had a belly band (t-shirt fabric) that I wore while pregnant to cover the lower belly that seems to become exposed at times. Now, I use it as a belly cover while nursing.
Back to Top View Angi's Profile Search for other posts by Angi

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 12 2013 at 4:38am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I've used belly bands as well as nursing tanks or camisoles for years. They really are great for keeping the belly or back covered. I do like the summer cardigan idea a lot, though for a little subtle shielding on the side.

I have found it is entirely possible to be discreet with regular clothing, but it is just easier with modern nursing wear. I don't much care for the older style dual layered openings, which I find fiddly with little advantage over simply wearing a second layer under a regular shirt, but the ones like Jen linked appeal to me! I think I'll wait a few weeks to see what gaps I find in my wardrobe, but I can definitely see the appeal of having those pieces that feel both flattering and easy. And those demi shirts look perfect to use with a regular cross over or button front dress!

In my "old age," I find I'm more inclined to not want to have to think so much. I never used a nursing cover in the past, but I received one as a gift with my last pregnancy, and I do appreciate not having to be so very "aware." I used to think I was able to be more discreet about what I was doing without a cover, and I still think that is true. But now, I'm over caring whether anyone is aware of what I'm doing and just want to enjoy my meal or conversation without having to think about whether I am flashing anyone

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 02 2013 at 5:41am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Zulily is having several special on each day this week, including Peekaboo, which Jen recommended recently, starting next Tuesday the 6th.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 02 2013 at 6:34am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I always liked using a cover-up, although I know how some hate them. I saw this quick no-sew tutorial which looked great to me http://grosgrainfabulous.blogspot.com/2013/08/diy-fabulous-n ew-style-nursing-cover-no.html. My sister used something similar to this and the full coverage was really nice.

I also was looking at different types of knitted patterns of shawls to use in the cooler months to make as gifts, giving a classy and practicsl look about it.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 02 2013 at 3:17pm | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

I have done that angry chicken tutorial! It worked great... if you want to get fancy you can embroider the edges with a contrasting color and it looks great.

Other notes: the BEST nursing blanket in the world, if you don't do those fabricated cover-ups is made from a super thin muslin. You can even tie a knot around your neck if you've got a wiggly, thrashing baby. Its so great to have a breathable, light weight blanky to use...I don't normally use a blanket to cover up unless I'm in mixed company... I can be discrete without one, but I've found that others, especially men or boys, get uncomfortable with the sight of a baby at breast. My fave brand is Aden& Anais, but there are cheaper knock-offs available now.

Lastly, is my very favorite nursing bra ever.. These are kinda spendy. But, no joke, I have two of them and I have lived in them for a full two years now... post-partum engorged, nursing, and empty grain sack chest now... These stretch beautifully with the fluctuating breast size and shape, with out any wierd creases or gaps. I am in LOVE with them. Super highly recommended!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 03 2013 at 1:13pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

knowloveserve wrote:
I have done that angry chicken tutorial! It worked great... if you want to get fancy you can embroider the edges with a contrasting color and it looks great.

Other notes: the BEST nursing blanket in the world, if you don't do those fabricated cover-ups is made from a super thin muslin. You can even tie a knot around your neck if you've got a wiggly, thrashing baby. Its so great to have a breathable, light weight blanky to use...I don't normally use a blanket to cover up unless I'm in mixed company... I can be discrete without one, but I've found that others, especially men or boys, get uncomfortable with the sight of a baby at breast. My fave brand is Aden& Anais, but there are cheaper knock-offs available now.

Lastly, is my very favorite nursing bra ever.. These are kinda spendy. But, no joke, I have two of them and I have lived in them for a full two years now... post-partum engorged, nursing, and empty grain sack chest now... These stretch beautifully with the fluctuating breast size and shape, with out any wierd creases or gaps. I am in LOVE with them. Super highly recommended!

It's funny those blankets are called "muslin". I think they are made of a cotton gauze, or technically "muslin gauze". But that fabric is dreamy and so breathable. I loved the Bebe Au Lait cover-ups at the time because I didn't have a good sewing machine set up and needed something made, but this fabric would be perfect.

I had one of those bras, and they were good for fluctuating cup size, but not good for my band size. I have a small band, large cup. So there was a lot of movement if it fit above, and if it fit below, it was too tight above and caused clogged ducts. But it was comfy for loose wear at home.

I'm a big pusher of good bra fittings! I'd love to get into that business of making the perfect bra and getting people to know how it fits. A good nursing bra to me should have a band size that's a little stretchy, but not too much, and then a range of cup sizes with that band size (b-c, D-DD,...G-H etc.). I'm just saying, S-M-L doesn't work for everyone!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 2:48pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Zulily is currently having a sale on a nursing/maternity line from Britain called Jojo Maman Bebe. I haven't seen it on sale anywhere else, but it has some of the classier styles for both that I've seen! The prices on Zulily are not bad, a significant markdown.

I find it annoying to try and link to Zulily, but it is easy enough to find the brand. The sale ends in 3 days (whenever that is ). There are also some decent prices on summer items on the main site, though you have to ship from England.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version