Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Fasting Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
kjohnson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 29 2007 at 3:44pm | IP Logged Quote kjohnson

marihalojen wrote:
Cindy and Katherine, our priest gave a homily on this last year, Sundays are also exempt from Lenten fasting, so if you give up coffee, for instance, you can have coffee on Sundays. We all came back for Sunday Brunch (there are a bunch of Catholics in this marina) appalled, we just couldn't believe it. A calendar was even brought out and to get the 40 days of Lent you have to pull out the Sundays. Who knew? Not us anyway.

Yes, Sundays are the day of the Resurrection and not days of penance (even kneeling on Sunday was forbidden by the First Ecumenical Council). In the Eastern fast, the ascetical fast is loosened (wine and oil are permitted) on Sunday and no one would practice an absolute fast on a Sunday, not even the monastics. So that makes sense translated to the Western practice. If you've given up a particular thing in a spirit of penance, you would not abstain from it on Sundays.

Back to Top View kjohnson's Profile Search for other posts by kjohnson

kjohnson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 29 2007 at 3:48pm | IP Logged Quote kjohnson

JennGM wrote:
I remember at the end of Lent a few years back I went to Confession. I mentioned how I failed at observing my Lenten penances. This priest basically told me that as long as I loved God it didn't matter if I prayed, did penance, kept my personal goals, etc. God still loved me. I was quite , and it didn't sit right.

Anyway, without priest bashing, sometimes you have to go with the little voice that tells you that it isn't right. Priests are not infallible. They are human, like us, and can make mistakes.

We once had dinner with an Orthodox priest who blessed hamburgers on Friday and jokingly said they were now shrimp.      My husband asked him if he thought his hand of blessing was a magic wand.

Back to Top View kjohnson's Profile Search for other posts by kjohnson

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 29 2007 at 7:52pm | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

Someone mentioned that it is not in the spirit of penance to look forward to Friday abstinence from meat as the opportunity to eat lobster tail. In our family, we eat meatless about half the time anyway. One Lent for our Friday penance we ate Wheatena for dinner every Friday. We certainly didn't come up short on nutrition, but you can be sure the sacrifice was apparent!

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version