Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Do you do color????? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Genevieve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 28 2007 at 1:30pm | IP Logged Quote Genevieve

This is such a fun thread! We are about to move into our new house next month. Since my furnishing are mainly earthy tone, we could go any which way with wall colors. Been pouring over Sherwin Williams color themes and I think we would be going with their Arts and Crafts color scheme. I change wall color every time we move. I never can make up my mind.

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 28 2007 at 1:37pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

I LOVE color, but my husband is more neutral...so
the front rooms of our house are a warm light tan/beige, but then...

Kitchen: BRIGHT yellow (if I have to be in there, it must be cheery)
Bathroom: french blue
Upstairs bathroom: Navy and white
Boys bedroom: Flag blue
Master BR: French blue again (dh is a basketball fanatic so he calls this Tarheel blue to "preserve" his manliness because he thinks it's "girly." )

Theresa - I love your burgundy! I have a can waiting to paint our foyer, but it takes so many coats and I don't have the time yet!!

Cay -- Your laundry room is my kind of cheery room!

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

Theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 28 2007 at 2:26pm | IP Logged Quote Theresa

Paula, I loved the color names of your rooms. They sound pretty and yummy!   

humanaevitae
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 28 2007 at 3:39pm | IP Logged Quote humanaevitae

I finished the boys room a year ago and painted it royal blue with a bright colored car border. Then...we ended up moving the little boys to our old bedroom as we added on a master bedroom. Of course the little boys wanted their same color scheme so their new room was decorated exactly the same!

Poor dh was despondent to learn that the original bright blue room now needed to be decorated according to a pastel doll theme for dd!

I finally gave into oldest ds and let him decorate in camo. The walls are army green and khaki with a lovely war scene border.    

Our upstairs bathroom is BRIGHT kelly/neon green and has a jungle theme.

Our bedroom is done with tan and deep red on the walls. I LOVE it!

The downstairs is mostly dirty white with some peach shining through (we haven't repainted yet) or a light grime-covering brown.

Your rooms sound quite inspirtational and my Dh is starting to shudder over my delight!

I wonder...if we use unusual colors on the wall...will it keep visitors eyes from seeing the mess on the floor?

insegnante
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 28 2007 at 3:47pm | IP Logged Quote insegnante

I think the name of our living room paint was berries and cream. I'm not great with color words but it is definitely pink, neither dark nor light nor bright. It is on the two full walls; the only other wall our living room has is broken up by the entry to the dining room, and each side of that is cream (pretty much looks white to me.) Hmm, I am not describing these things very well.

I'm tired of this pink color. It's very "me" though; too me. It's a curl up and relax with a book color, and I need a "get up and do something already" color in this room I'm in most of the time.

We never got around to painting anything else but our older son's room since moving in 3 1/2 years ago. It's the previous residents' cream on most walls, I think a very light greyish-blue in a room we just use for storage and maybe in another basically unused room, and a green-with-brown-trim combination my husband really dislikes in his home office.

DS1's room is a nice cheerful but not blindingly bright yellow. My husband wants to paint his office yellow, probably a brighter one. We bought the paint about three years ago. In our old condo which he bought for himself right around the time he met me, he had painted the walls a variety of colors I can't even remember.

Theresa
Back to Top View insegnante's Profile Search for other posts by insegnante

Theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 28 2007 at 3:47pm | IP Logged Quote Theresa

humanaevitae wrote:
I wonder...if we use unusual colors on the wall...will it keep visitors eyes from seeing the mess on the floor?

I hope so!

Ruth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 28 2007 at 6:53pm | IP Logged Quote Ruth

I love to color. This is such a great thread. I love everyone's ideas. I wrote a new post today and posted pictures of some of the rooms in our house. The only rooms I haven't painted are the bathrooms upstairs.

Master bedroom- Mediterranian glaze
Boys' room- Winter wheat
Girls' room- Pink, green, orange
Oldest dd- "Blessed Mother" blue
Sitting room- Leather sponge glaze
Kitchen- Antique Red
Sunroom- Butter yellow

Here is a link, if you'd like to see.

I love to color

mom to 7 miracles

My family blog

Loreto Rosaries
Back to Top View Ruth's Profile Search for other posts by Ruth Visit Ruth's Homepage

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 28 2007 at 7:17pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

I love color! I will never tolorate white or "smoker's white" painted walls again!

Our bedroom is "glazed donut" - a pale mustardy-gold with red and black or dark wood accents.
The bathroom is a deep dark royal purple with gold, red, and black or bronzed accents.
The hall bath is sage green with blue, yellow, white, and chrome accents.
The girls room is yellow and blue.
One boys room is a darker blue with gray and red accents.
We have stopped before painting any further because we don't want to bother as we hope to move very soon.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

MichelleM
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 28 2007 at 7:34pm | IP Logged Quote MichelleM

MaryM wrote:
I'm too chicken to do anything else because of the idea of painting over again. I keep thinking about it because it does need to be painted and I would spice it up. Maybe you all will inspire me.

Mary,

Sherwin Williams has a website
that let's you experiment with paint colors so you won't need to paint again. My dd's love to spend time on this site decorating rooms.

I also bought a paint fan from S.W. for $10. It's very helpful and allows you to coordinate all your rooms. (A future goal of mine.) Home Depot wanted $40 for their color fan!

To save money, I choose a S. W. color and then go Home Depot. They have all of S.W. paint colors in their system and will mix up a batch that matches what you want.

Our nature blog: All of Creation
Back to Top View MichelleM's Profile Search for other posts by MichelleM

JuliaT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 28 2007 at 9:27pm | IP Logged Quote JuliaT

I am definitely a color girl!

Our living room was supposed to be beige but it turned out to be a muted yellow. It looks nice, though, with navy and brick red accents.

The family room which is off of the living room is a brick red.

The master bedroom is a sage green with ivory and red accents

The girl's room is yellow and pink

My ds' room is slate blue.

I haven't done the kitchen yet because I am chicken. I want to paint it a lighter shade of the sage green that is in our bedroom but the kitchen is very dark so I don't know whether it would be wise to paint it this color or not. So I am biding my time.

Blessings,
Julia
mom to 3(7,6,4)
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Juliainsk
Back to Top View JuliaT's Profile Search for other posts by JuliaT

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 29 2007 at 4:29am | IP Logged Quote ALmom

I'm ordinarily not daring - so mostly earthtones unless the house comes pre-painted in which case we tend to leave up whatever is there . However, would letting your toddler dd paint pictures on her wall count. We did that once figuring it can always be re-painted and what is a better canvas than the wall of your room - free and in sufficiently large size! She just used whatever paints we had. (There was some resemblance to red hearts - some pink - Oh I wish I'd taken a picture. Hopefully it is in old videos somewhere!

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 29 2007 at 1:27pm | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

Everyone's color choices sound beautiful and inspiring, but this discussion has me wondering....we moved to a smaller home with mostly antique white walls except very light, hardly noticable color in two bedrooms. Most of the rooms in our former homes were wallpapered or painted with more noticable shades of color. Since moving here I've been quite surprised at how much more peaceful and serene everything feels with such a neutral, monotone color scheme. Our religious artwork stands out more and my senses are less focused on the color scheme and decor than in prior homes. Has anyone experienced a surprising appreciation for less color, or am I just getting stranger as I get older? I've toyed with the idea of painting (especially since the walls do not hold up to fingerprints and repeated washing)...before we came here I thought for sure I wanted to paint the dining area burgundy....but every time I think about painting I worry that we'll lose the serenity of our monastic-type walls. I keep hoping this thread will convince me, one way or the other!

insegnante
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 29 2007 at 1:38pm | IP Logged Quote insegnante

Servant2theKing wrote:
Has anyone experienced a surprising appreciation for less color, or am I just getting stranger as I get older?

Sometimes I wish the wall in this living room were still whitish. One thing I don't like about having a very definite wall color is that it sort of sets a mood that may not always work. Like I said, the mood this pink color sets is not an energizing one. Yet, I'm not sure I'd like it to be so energizing all the time -- the way our house is set up right now, this is the easiest place for all of us to be at night when we should be getting relaxed and tired for sleep. I don't find other people's white/whitish walls boring. Usually it's the overall decor and the smaller touches that give the home its unique look. Of course if the wall is whitish it's also less likely to clash with anything nice you might find to decorate the room with.

Theresa
Back to Top View insegnante's Profile Search for other posts by insegnante

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 29 2007 at 2:07pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Servant2theKing wrote:
Everyone's color choices sound beautiful and inspiring, but this discussion has me wondering....we moved to a smaller home with mostly antique white walls except very light, hardly noticable color in two bedrooms. Most of the rooms in our former homes were wallpapered or painted with more noticable shades of color. Since moving here I've been quite surprised at how much more peaceful and serene everything feels with such a neutral, monotone color scheme. Our religious artwork stands out more and my senses are less focused on the color scheme and decor than in prior homes. Has anyone experienced a surprising appreciation for less color, or am I just getting stranger as I get older? I've toyed with the idea of painting (especially since the walls do not hold up to fingerprints and repeated washing)...before we came here I thought for sure I wanted to paint the dining area burgundy....but every time I think about painting I worry that we'll lose the serenity of our monastic-type walls. I keep hoping this thread will convince me, one way or the other!

I do color, although I haven't dipped the brush yet on our walls in this house, I did in the last house. I am very sensitive to colors, and I find I gravitate to more soothing, calm, soft colors. Reds, oranges, brighter yellows, dark bold colors make me jumpy and stressed. I know there is a whole psychology behind colors, and decorators say darker colors don't necessarily make a room smaller...but I know what pleases me. I also don't like tans and browns, to wear, or on my wall.

I chose colors like a light blue/green, like Martha Stewart B24 Whitecap -- that one is my absolute favorite (I have the number memorized). But I also choose buttercream, soft whites and soft blues and greens and lavendar. Probably the darkest I go would be used for some contrast, like under the chair rail or trim.

It's not that I'm afraid of color...I just want to be relaxed in rooms. I admire those that can use the darker colors in dining rooms and such. I love to see their houses and visit, but I can't do in my own.

And, the paler colors I don't have to be matchy-matchy with my painting and such.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 29 2007 at 2:49pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

If the rooms are small and not as much natural lighting as you would like, then painting a lighter color is definitely a plus. We immediately felt like we had more space and everything seemed brighter with light walls. We went from tan to almost white (getting the house ready to sell the first time - but we moved back in after 8 mo of it not selling and loved the change). My religious pictures get my attention more too.

The best thing we did was paint using a washable semi-gloss on every single wall! A quick wipe takes care of every fingerprint or mudprint. We'll probably not paint this house for a long time (the colors are dark and not really my favorite, but right now insulating the attic and repairing doors, electrical, etc. is the priority).

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 29 2007 at 3:06pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

MaryM wrote:
Oh, I am so boring. Everything here is off-white. I'm too chicken to do anything else because of the idea of painting over again. I keep thinking about it because it does need to be painted and I would spice it up. Maybe you all will inspire me.

Mary M.

You can always borrow some of our leftover paint that the previous owners left.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mary and I were just discussing this the other day -- you see, the house we moved into in August had all the walls painted really interesting colors that I would NEVER have chosen, but all our stuff seems to go....
Kitchen/Dining rooms are both done in a gold -- so we put lots of our icons in the dining room and it does look good.
Living Room is a dark, olive green that looks great with the knitted wall hanging I had worn as a shawl when we met JP2 in 2002. Only thing I don't like about that one is they also painted the ceiling dark, so the room tends to be dark.
The downstairs bath is a dark orange.
The upstairs bath is lilac with purple stenciling.
Girls' room is dark blue
Boys' room is a blue-green
Master room is burgundy -- oddity here is two opposite walls are one shade and the other 2 walls are another darker shade!

These rooms are odd, but now that we've been here a few months, I've grown so used to them. Only recommend that if you do go with dark colors -- make sure you have lighting that will work and doesn't need reflecting to brighten up... I seem to always be in shadow in our living room

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 29 2007 at 4:15pm | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

One idea I had forgotten while reading these posts came from an old issue of Victoria magazine...the homeowners had stenciled allover metallic patterns over a darker base color...in one room they did a silver metallic design over a deep rose, in another they did gold metallic over a deeper sage green...the silver on rose room changed with the time of day and they enhanced the effect with lots of mercury glass and candlelight...hmmm, we may need to reconsider the concept of color change after all. For now, it's snowing outside and I just feel like hibernating! Bet it would be easier in a dark, cozy colored room!

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 29 2007 at 4:27pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

MAry G your walls sound great to me

And thanks Servant for that nifty metallic tip, I might try that in my bathroom.
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 01 2007 at 12:53pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

molly wrote:
MAry G your walls sound great to me

And thanks Servant for that nifty metallic tip, I might try that in my bathroom.

Molly,

Here's a blog post I just did of the colors in my house. Some of the pix aren't close enough to the color, but you'll get an idea anyway!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version