Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Did Miss Mason know about toddlers? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
KellyinPA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 26 2007 at 1:51pm | IP Logged Quote KellyinPA

Ladies,

Please don't feel upset when reading about others school days. You are in the season of small children, someplace we ALL were at one time or another. It helps immensely when you have an older one or two to help take turns playing with the toddler but until that day comes, along with all the great advice already given here, just try to remind yourself that the baby IS the "lesson". The academics will come but the character lessons learned while dealing with babies and toddlers is priceless.

the abundant life
Back to Top View KellyinPA's Profile Search for other posts by KellyinPA

MichelleM
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 26 2007 at 1:55pm | IP Logged Quote MichelleM

Hi Shawna.

Oh, I can so relate...right now my toddler is pulling my fingers from the keyboard while I type.

This may sound unusual and maybe impractical for you, but I have been known to take long country drives with the children for some Real Learning time. (I've probably been pretty close to Kim's ranch on some of our drives!)

The benefit of this is that the littles get a long nap, I get some reflective (quiet) time and the older children listen to audio books or read on their own. We've listened to so many great books this way, Little Women, The Lord of the Rings, The Silver Chair. We have the Hobbit waiting for us in the car-the sun is shining & the baby is cranky-perfect time for a drive.

We often see deer (along with other critters) and often end up in places that are great for nature study. The gas does get expensive but my littles usually won't take a nap at home so I feel it is worth the cost. When I'm having a "pull out my hair day", my husband always tells me to go take a drive. We're always the better for it.

The children enjoy it so much that they often beg to go on a drive & listen to the rest of the story. It's always such an adventure!

Our nature blog: All of Creation
Back to Top View MichelleM's Profile Search for other posts by MichelleM

mary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 26 2007 at 3:57pm | IP Logged Quote mary

KellyinPA wrote:

Please don't feel upset when reading about others school days. You are in the season of small children, someplace we ALL were at one time or another. It helps immensely when you have an older one or two to help take turns playing with the toddler but until that day comes, along with all the great advice already given here, just try to remind yourself that the baby IS the "lesson". The academics will come but the character lessons learned while dealing with babies and toddlers is priceless.

i think this is so very true. last year, i had horrible morning sickness and the best i could do was nature walks, read alouds, and a first communion notebook. it was the best year we have had. it was slow and simple and sweet. and now i have a baby who has had reflux, bronchitis, and monthly double ear infections. i remember reading elizabeth's real learning book when she writes about her older boy holding the sick baby, and i thought, how sweet! and yet, when i'm in the midst of that sick baby and messy house and books that aren't getting read,and my oldest child is holding the baby while i try to load the dishwasher, i have to remember to see the sweet moment and realize that my boy is learning something special. it may not be what i had planned, but it's good.   
Back to Top View mary's Profile Search for other posts by mary

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 26 2007 at 4:36pm | IP Logged Quote amyable

KellyinPA wrote:
Ladies,

Please don't feel upset when reading about others school days. You are in the season of small children, someplace we ALL were at one time or another.

And even though the "play by play school days" blogs *sound* like they are giving all the action of the day, I'm sure there is a lot more going on behind the scenes that doesn't get typed out. At least in my blog I know that's true. I write what the bigger girls try to get accomplished for school, but don't always type in that every day:

- it got accomplished on my last nerve as I had to yell to be heard over the cranky toddler, or

-how long that day my 3yo just sat around bored sucking her thumb (so long it makes me cry!) or

-how many toddler preschooler fist fights I broke up...

-what my house looks like at the end of any given hour

You get the point. I don't type in all those "toddler details" because that stuff happens ALL DAY LONG and my posts are long enough, lol.   Maybe I'll make a point of doing a day from the point of view of my 21 month old next week. (not that anyone was refering to *my* blog, lol, but just using myself as an example)

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

onemoretracy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 26 2007 at 5:30pm | IP Logged Quote onemoretracy

Yup, I just list off on our daily diary what the good stuff was that we accomplished. I will be quite honest and say I do not and will not list any bad stuff.

However, that is what I made the blog for. I just needed to see what we did do, even if it wasn't on the lesson plan. I do not put things that were on the lesson plan that we didn't get to. It helps me to see the learning moments that happen in between checking off the to-do list.

Like I am pretty sure making a pie is a learning moment, but it wasn't on the lesson plan. Some other stuff that was on the plan was shoved back, but hey we have pie!   

The kids may get shut out at the spelling bee tonight, but they'll come home to some pie!

DS Ryan-9
DS Luke-6
DD Laine-6
DD Mary Clare-3
DD Sara (Dec.6 '08)
My Blog
Back to Top View onemoretracy's Profile Search for other posts by onemoretracy

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 26 2007 at 7:32pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

amyable wrote:
KellyinPA wrote:
Ladies,

Please don't feel upset when reading about others school days. You are in the season of small children, someplace we ALL were at one time or another.

And even though the "play by play school days" blogs *sound* like they are giving all the action of the day, I'm sure there is a lot more going on behind the scenes that doesn't get typed out. At least in my blog I know that's true.

I know it's true for my blog, too. The purpose of my blog is to share about homeschooling, so I write about what we did , not how many times I had to pull the toddler out of the cat food bowl to do it!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Jane Ramsey
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 26 2007 at 9:37pm | IP Logged Quote Jane Ramsey

KellyinPA wrote:
Ladies,

Thank you so much, Kelly! I think this is just what so many of us in that "season of small children "needed to hear!
Back to Top View Jane Ramsey's Profile Search for other posts by Jane Ramsey

Lisa R
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 26 2007 at 9:52pm | IP Logged Quote Lisa R

Shawna,

I can't thank you enough again for asking this question. And all the ladies who've offered advice or just wrote to say we're all not alone is this endeavor.

You just don't know how much it has blessed me.

J.Anne
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 27 2007 at 8:25am | IP Logged Quote J.Anne

I'm so glad I found this subject. You've all described our days - especially Amy's description. I'm also so happy it won't last. My husband is always after me to "keep school to a strict schedule" and I just look at him stupidly - Do I put aside time for my son's screaming during our read alouds?? Obviously, I would LOVE a schedule, but I feel so subject to the moods of a two year old.
I always imagine the homes of the other homeschooling moms to be peaceful, cheerful, and neat (you are all also perfectly fit and have nutritious meals every night ). It's nice to know I'm not alone.

ShawnaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 27 2007 at 8:04pm | IP Logged Quote ShawnaB

Well, I have read your responses over and again, and I am so grateful for the wonderful feedback. I am both encouraged and informed. Thank you!

I wanted to give a quick update too. Thanks to all the wonderful encouragement here...practical and emotion...I have made some great adjustments to our homeschooling plan.

Yesterday, a dear friend came and helped with my children while I took some time to think, plan, and move furniture! What a GIFT!

Here's what I did...

* I realized that our toddlers had way too many toys accessible. I drastically reduced what was in their reach. Conversely, I also realized that I was under-utilizing most of our great Montessori-ish learning toys because they simply get lost in the shuffle.

* I installed a cupboard (repurposed from the garage) on the wall in the play/learning area to hold toddler toys and manipulatives so that I can easily take out one or two at a time. So far, its working great. They are amazingly more content!

* I'm moving booster seats with trays into the learning area for containment while using crayons, sorting toys, etc.

* I'm accepting that naptime and early mornings (thanks for that tip Rebecca!!) are my best options for Read Aloud time and lessons that require my focus. Thanks for helping realize that this is my reality.

* I'm realizing that my challenges are not unique to ME! This is the season of my life. God has placed me here, and I will accept the limitations and be grateful for the incredible blessings that my children are at this stage.

And on an interesting note...we bought a beautiful wooden play kitchen for the toddlers this Christmas. They have hardly played with it until now. There was just too much mess on the floor for them to notice it. But since I have eliminated 2/3 of what was in their play space, they are loving it. As I write, Jonathan is putting the lids on 3 little metal pots and placing them in and out of the oven! So cute!!

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 27 2007 at 8:09pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Wonderful, Shawna!!!!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

HeatherNY
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Jan 27 2007 at 8:38pm | IP Logged Quote HeatherNY

ShawnaB wrote:
I wanted to give a quick update too. Thanks to all the wonderful encouragement here...practical and emotion...I have made some great adjustments to our homeschooling plan.

Thank you for your summary of what's working for you. My 2 year old has been making me nuts. Your success in improving your situation is inspiring. Thanks for starting this topic.
Back to Top View HeatherNY's Profile Search for other posts by HeatherNY Visit HeatherNY's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 02 2007 at 2:24pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

MaryMary wrote:
We very much have the same issues here. Some days I read over everyone's learning note blogs and I want to cry. Mr. 20 month old is a going concern at our house. We have Montessori material and mats. He is just so not ready for them. The items I place out on the shelves usually end up in a heap after 10 minutes. The time I spend each morning cleaning our schoolroom (so that it is clear enough to START the day) is enough to make me want to call it a snow day. My oldest dd, at 6 years of age cannot yet work totally independantly. She needs my direction and attention. If I am not careful, my four year old will fall through the cracks. This is what makes some days so very hard indeed.

and some days, are just SOME days!!

I really am enjoying the Montessori learning method for my 4 yo and now the toddler, and we just try little bits at a time, and move throughout our day around his nap and busy times. I can't say enough about the power of some outdoor time for my littlest as well, it packs a big punch in his afternoon before dinner time if I can manage it and if weather permits. The big kids are more than happy to be out there with him as well, so I can catch up on email, start dinner or just do something other than chase the toddler around!!

I'm really enjoying this thread and sorry I'm in on it so late! I also posted a few links at my blog yesterday for Montessori make your own stuff if you're interested!! Here's the link!

One more thing that is always a plus, MUSIC TIME for the littles. Sort of a musical chairs that they can do with a drum, or the triangle, marching around in circles, then all sit down!
Blessings!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version