Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: The Hidden Power of Kindness Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 24 2007 at 3:42pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Should the book discussions be moved to Book Club?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

KellyJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 24 2007 at 8:52pm | IP Logged Quote KellyJ

On second thought, would it be too much for me to join in the discussion as I can, recalling and re-reading parts here and there as applicable? I still don't think I can fit in re-reading the whole book right now, but this is such a good book that I'd like to discuss it with you all as I am able.

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 26 2007 at 3:52pm | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

I wanted to tell everyone: Thank you for recommending to me...I have decided to make a sign (I make a lot of signs---we display two at a time!    ) of the Fraternity of Kindness 3 Do rules/ 3 Don't rules. Thanks for inspiring me!!!

and 2 yet-to-be-met
Back to Top View Nina Murphy's Profile Search for other posts by Nina Murphy

saintanneshs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 27 2007 at 8:57am | IP Logged Quote saintanneshs

Yea! I've had this book for a while but haven't had a chance to get to it. I've got lots of time for reading now!! So count me in! I'll be reading the discussions but don't know about jumping in as it's so hard to type one-handed these days!

Caroline
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 20 2007 at 10:44am | IP Logged Quote Caroline

Has this discussion started? I couldn't find it, but I have the book now and would love to join!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 20 2007 at 10:48am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Caroline wrote:
Has this discussion started? I couldn't find it, but I have the book now and would love to join!

No discussion has started. I'm still wading through the first chapter. I find it really hard to digest, therefore slow moving/reading of this book.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 20 2007 at 11:09am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

I started rereading and I stopped. Focusing right now on catching up with the True Devotion folks. Will go back to reading THPoK maybe after Easter.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 20 2007 at 1:23pm | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

I actually gave it up, too!

I moved on to specific Lenten meditations and back to the old faves on Abandonment to Divine Providence. That's what brings me the most comfort. Maybe, like what Fr. Caussade says in his (aforementioned) book, we should read what makes obeying God and fulfilling our duties of our state of life "easier" and makes us love, love, love Him more--- and not necessarily wrestle with certain books or methods of prayer that seem to be frustrating.

(Not that Kindness takes away my peace---it's just hard for me to stay encouraged and focused through it...I need LITTLE chunks at a time.)

and 2 yet-to-be-met

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 20 2007 at 7:48pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

JennGM wrote:
No discussion has started. I'm still wading through the first chapter. I find it really hard to digest, therefore slow moving/reading of this book.

How funny. I absolutely LOVE this book. I am almost done with it and cannot put it down. I have used so much of what he has said with my family and have repeatedly paraphrased his advice to the kids. I bet you are just already kind people and its like preaching to the choir for you all. I, on the other hand, needed a good course on kindness and a swift "kick in the pants" and so did my kids!

The thing I have really liked about the book is his use of examples. I have often wondered about sins of "detraction, calmuny, etc." and what exactly they meant.

I have thought this one of the best books I have read in a long time as hard as a spiritual self improvement type. But, I really needed it.

That being said, I should warn you that this book makes you feel uncomfortable (at least me). It is hard to read what you do wrong or how God might be looking at the state of your soul. For me this book has made me uncomfortable enough to really work on changing some bad habits I have. He does not mince words.

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 20 2007 at 7:54pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

Nina-

I just read what you wrote. And I agree. If you become discouraged or don't find something helpful, then I think its time to move on. I didn't mean to sound like this book would be for everyone.

I think it has spoken to my heart at this time when I have really struggled to put on a happy face or find kind words with my family and I saw that same behavior rub off on my kids. We needed a kindness overhaul. In fact, that has been our main emphasis this Lent.

We had a very hard fall with my pregnancy illness and I think we spent too much time together (we never left the house. . .ever) and we were going through a hard time so tempers flared and bad habits formed in dealing with each other.

I didn't mean to sound like you all were in some way deficient for dropping this book. . .

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 20 2007 at 9:29pm | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

In NO way... !

I guess I didn't check my tone to make sure I didn't sound whiney...I was just trying to explain why *I* had dropped out as well--- but I guess I didn't really need to! I said too much.   

I know what you mean about the book making you really evaluate your charity and look deeply within at your bad habits. And I love Fr. Lovasik completely---he's awesome and inspired.

and 2 yet-to-be-met

saintanneshs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 20 2007 at 10:11pm | IP Logged Quote saintanneshs

Ohhh, you don't know how glad I am to read that the discussion hasn't begun yet. I think I might finally be recovered enough to handle some participation (postpartum). I think I might be ready for a few lessons in kindness!

MarieA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 10 2007 at 9:30pm | IP Logged Quote MarieA

I'll be eagerly watching for when this discussion begins.   

Last fall, I came across this book up at the bookshop in the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception. It was just sitting on the counter as I went up to pay for some other items and the cover page seemed to speak to me.

It is such a wonderful book and I find myself often carrying it around with me in order to read it during spare moments.

Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception

Marie
Back to Top View MarieA's Profile Search for other posts by MarieA

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 11 2007 at 11:55am | IP Logged Quote Sarah

Marie

Should we start a thread discussing it? I finished it and found it to be so helpful. I also feel like its a book that I'd like to pick up again and again for certain excerpts.

MarieA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 11 2007 at 10:11pm | IP Logged Quote MarieA

Sarah,

Sounds like a great idea! I've been skipping around in it for a bit, but have just started it from the beginning again. (Give me just a couple of days to get a head start. I do most of my reading late at night.)

Here is a link for it... (In case anyone else would like to get a copy.) The Hidden Power of Kindness

Marie
Back to Top View MarieA's Profile Search for other posts by MarieA

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 12 2007 at 9:58am | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

I've been waiting to start reading. A discussion would be great!

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 12 2007 at 12:17pm | IP Logged Quote stacykay

I'll be watching for the thread! Count me in!

God Bless,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version