Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Hidden Treasure
 4Real Forums : Hidden Treasure
Subject Topic: Welcome Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Diane
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 02 2007 at 5:55pm | IP Logged Quote Diane

Patty, what a beautiful story! They are all such beautiful stories! It is amazing to see how our Blessed Mother is reaching for us.

I have to add a postscript to my story. Tonight my dh and I went for a wonderful long walk after the dc were in bed. I was sharing my post with him, reflecting on how Mary was towering over us at our wedding reception, when he remarked, "you know, way back in my 11th grade religion class, Sr. Suzanne told us that we should pray to Mary for our future spouses. That always stuck with me, and I did it throughout the rest of hs and college."

He had never told me that before. Can we say shivers?

My sweet Mother will most definitely be receiving flowers from me in the future, not only on our anniversary but on all of her feast days!

The Journey of a Mother's Heart
Back to Top View Diane's Profile Search for other posts by Diane Visit Diane's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 07 2007 at 3:15am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

I thought I'd pop back here and say that the postings have been inspirational and each post has some *gem* to share - I like that - to take away something to think about is really great.

I was emailing a lady on the forum who is wondering whether to share her story and I know a little of it already - and my response is POST!   Please, we will be enriched for it!

For anyone who is still considering sharing their Blessed Mother with us, please do!

You never know what thing you share, that you consider *little*, may affect others.

Do you get the feeling I don't want the goosebumps to end?

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

Genevieve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 07 2007 at 2:08pm | IP Logged Quote Genevieve

Helen wrote:
I think you have asked her already to show this to you. I look forward to hearing what happens to you next!

Thank you everyone for your kind replies. I really like the "bear hug" analogy Lissa gave. Much better than a life vest thrown to you while you paddle in a black, stormy ocean. MUCH more comforting.

I thought I'll share to you what did happened over the weekend. I've been wearing a brown scapular for the past five years. It was a more of like "I'll try and see what happens". Some time in 2004, I decided that I was finally be enrolled with the Brown Scapular but for whatever reason never got around to it. Well... guess what happened over the weekend. Yup! I enrolled myself and my children. Dh was already enrolled. There wasn't a change of heart. I have been thinking of enrolling for a while. Somehow circumstances just made it possible. Remembering that I wanted to enroll while at church and also having no other place to rush off to afterwards. It seems a lot like Helen describes it. Perhaps reading your testimony to daily Mass and rosary was the extra push I need. Now I"m not sure whether this amounts to a Total Consecration but it's a formal step towards a deeper relationship with Mother Mary. So far there isn't a deep emotional feeling like when I converted and accepted God into my heart. It's more subtle. Who knows where she would take me next?

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 07 2007 at 4:17pm | IP Logged Quote amyable

Hi everyone,

I've just written and deleted this post about 4 times!

I've been lurking, and wondering if I should join you, if I should try to consecrate myself to Mary. Something about me remains terrified, and despite the beautiful stories here, I can't stop myself from thinking that "those things happen to other people" and "I'm not cut out for this."

I will briefly share that as an adopted child, I often fantisized that Mary was my *real* mother (of course I understood that couldn't possibly be true, but I guess I figured "she would have been if she could have been.") It is extremely difficult for me believe I can give my heart yet another Mother, when #1 abandoned me and #2, while she tried, had lots of baggage and the love was/is pretty conditional. I think I'm afraid that by consecrating myself, I will be bound by oath to *her*, but that she will be able to just abandon me, and leave me flying in the wind. Probably sounds like crazy thoughts to some of you.

Right as I was taking the home pregnancy test for my current, complicated, pregnancy, a thought flew into my head, "Mary Immaculate, this is in your hands." It wasn't something I came up with on my own, because I never refer to Mary that way. It was as if the thought was presented to me from outside myself.

So even though I may be resisting something mightily, I think Mary is starting to throw pebbles up to my window to get my attention. I need gentle, though, very gentle pebbles!! Like sand... although the only thing that gets my attention is usually boulders. I can be very hard to convince, and even if "miraculous" things started happening, I bet I could sit there and explain it all away...

I'm going to start keeping my eyes, ears, and heart open though. And continue lurking, at least until morning sickness is gone and some second trimester energy returns.

Thank you all for your stories.

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 07 2007 at 5:18pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Amyable wrote:
It is extremely difficult for me believe I can give my heart yet another Mother, when #1 abandoned me and #2, while she tried, had lots of baggage and the love was/is pretty conditional. I think I'm afraid that by consecrating myself, I will be bound by oath to *her*, but that she will be able to just abandon me, and leave me flying in the wind. Probably sounds like crazy thoughts to some of you.

I understand your feelings Amy, we are all conditioned by our past and it in turn often dictates our future - it is human nature.

I would say that Mary has a very special place in her heart for those who have felt *motherless* in this world but she is Alma Mater who knocks gently at our hearts and I know that the cry "mamma, where are you? mamma I need you!" never goes unanswered.

I should say that even in my times of darkness, that I was fortunate to have an earthly mother through who I saw the powerful hand of my Blessed Mother. Yet even then it took time to step out, like a baby walking for the first time, with hesitation and wobbly legs, to reach out to her, like all babies do when we have our arms streched out in return to receive them in their first steps.

My feelings (which were my suffering) were not miraculously removed for some time either, I just had to keep holding on. To rely only on what my head had learnt about this Mother of mine and this is where spiritual reading about Our Lady and the wonders she has worked in people's lives is so important, it will feed and norish our faith in her especially when we are surrounded by darkness.

I have read that many atheists and agnostics have often been challenged or curious to ask "if you are out there God, and you love me, I ask you to show yourself to me - even though I find it hard to believe you even exist!" - that this is a powerful prayer that demonstates a desire for faith when all seems unclear.

The same with Our Blessed Mother, if we just voice our feelings (our weaknesses and doubt even) and ask that you *wish* you could feel different, if you could only be brought to that realisation of her motherly presence and care that is so personal. It is never too late to discover our mother and in turn feel as if you had never lived without her!

Amyable wrote:
I will briefly share that as an adopted child, I often fantisized that Mary was my *real* mother (of course I understood that couldn't possibly be true, but I guess I figured "she would have been if she could have been.")

It almost has a fairytale quality to it, don't you think? The princess being raised by uncaring guardians, believing them to be their true parents - wishing and fantasizing that they had really been born into a more loving world and family and then they discover often later than sooner this was really true, bring the tale to a happy ending. (I can recall only CS Lewis' A Horse and His Boy" at present but sense in my mind there are other stories we have been raised with.)   I often think that this world's fairytales find there reality in history of the Church and those in it, only the real ones are even better!

Mary can heal all hearts.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 08 2007 at 9:28pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

amyable wrote:
I'm going to start keeping my eyes, ears, and heart open though. And continue lurking, at least until morning sickness is gone and some second trimester energy returns.

Thank you all for your stories.

Great Amy, Welcome!
I just posted something for you over at the other thread, How do we know Mary is our Mother?

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

julia s.
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 09 2007 at 7:30pm | IP Logged Quote julia s.

I hope I can do this post justice and place here what Our Lady wants me to and keep close in my heart what she wishes of me.

When I was growing up I liked the Rosary. I'm not sure I truly associated it with Mary, but I liked the rhythmn, and thinking back I may have been talking to her, but in the way I think kids talk to grown-ups sort of more thinking out loud than a conscious purposeful conversation. We had a May procession in our classrooms at school every year where we crowned the Mary statue. I remember how teary my one teacher used to get, and I knew I should be getting something out of it, but I didn't. Everyone was happy so I was too and that was enough.

I remember going one summer to a (I'm not sure what it was) I'll call it Mary camp. We sang songs to Mary and prayed and we made rosaries. There was just few of us there. We all drove in the same car togerther and had lunch afterward. I liked it, it was peaceful and I remember trying really hard to please the sisters and singing well for Mary. But that seems almost like another life to me now.

As I grew up I still prayed the rosary (I still do) just not as frequent. I grew wrestless with my life at home and grew distant from my family. I never really liked Mary as I grew into a woman. I'm embarrassed and ashamed to say this, but I figure it will help others understand that no feeling is too damaging that Mary won't accept and love you.

I think like most women Mary suffers from a stigma of being damaged by her true importance. Kind of a "what's she got that I don't got" kind of thinking. I thought she was smug, I thought she was underserving, I thought she was just lucky and by comparison the rest of us always unfortunate. I thought she could never relate to the rest of us who were not born with a halo. I cringe to think it now. And I'm truly embarrassed by my thoughts.

So I just sort of ignored her and focused on her son and His father and the Holy Spirit. Until, well a few things.   One was these forums. I would see her in some of you. You were gentle and loving and so very kind (not the least bit smug and holier than thou). I knew it was her reflection (the way Montfort? says the moon is a reflection of the sun, so Mary reflects her Son), some of you ladies are a clear reflection of Mary. Just passing down the light.
Another was my prayer life kind of came to a gentle pause and I felt Jesus gently lead me to His Mother. Almost saying, "I can't take you any further -- you have to go with Her now."

So, I've been doing small steps with Mary. Trying different things (modest clothing here and there, gentler words, more rosary, and observing the women here who carry her so well). I'm terribly inconsistant. Obedience is the lesson I'm trying to learn. But I also learned today, that Mary has to fill you with the grace in order for you to do God's will. It really is through her that you reach her son, you can't do it without the graces she has to give.

Four days ago I didn't think I was ready for the Total Concencration to Mary. I was scared. But oddly enough I had been reflecting on my life and the times I chose not to do something out of fear and looking back how many wrong choices I made because of that fear. I prayed on other matters that were aching my heart and today I feel at peace for the first time in a very long time. It is like when I was a child surrounded by my relatives and you knew you were well taken care of and loved and accepted. And you didn't question it.

So I'm very happy to join you ladies here on this journey. And I'm so glad I don't have to do it alone.

Back to Top View julia s.'s Profile Search for other posts by julia s.

julia s.
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 09 2007 at 7:32pm | IP Logged Quote julia s.

Oh, and Helen those Mary Vitamins are something else. Thank you from the bottom my heart for bringing Mary more deeply into my life!

Back to Top View julia s.'s Profile Search for other posts by julia s.

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 10 2007 at 2:01am | IP Logged Quote Helen

julia s. wrote:
I hope I can do this post justice and place here what Our Lady wants me to and keep close in my heart what she wishes of me.

You did Julia.
What a beautiful post.

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 10 2007 at 4:09pm | IP Logged Quote Lissa

Amy and Julia, I'm so glad you are both here. Thank you for what you have shared.

Amy wrote:
I can be very hard to convince, and even if "miraculous" things started happening, I bet I could sit there and explain it all away...

I don't know, you might be surprised...after all the "pebbles" (boulders?) thrown my way these past two weeks, I can believe anything is possible!

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 10 2007 at 5:37pm | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

This is just the best thread...ever!

You are all amazing women---for who Our Mother has worked wonderful things and formed so beautifully.

Keep the inspiration coming please!

and 2 yet-to-be-met
Back to Top View Nina Murphy's Profile Search for other posts by Nina Murphy

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 10 2007 at 8:23pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Helen wrote:
Take a moment to say hello, even if we know you already here at 4Real, and tell us a little bit about what brought you to Our Lady and the desire to make a (or find out more about) total Consecration to her.

Hello. I made my consecration to Mary as a member of the Militia of the Immaculata, in February of 1999.

My journey to the Immaculata began when I was a child. For the most part I grew up as a nominal Methodist. I became a Catholic when I was 17. While I can't say Marian devotion has "come naturally" it is certainly something I felt drawn to. Somewhere along the line my dad had acquired a small statue of Mary (he was a big collector of any and every thing) and I clearly remember kneeling before that statue when I was about 12 years old and praying. I honestly have no idea what I prayed but I am sure the Immaculata does and I feel certain she played a big part in my conversion. My middle name is Marie and it wasn't until years after I was a Catholic that it occurred to me that it was a form of Mary. When I realized it I felt so happy - it was like I was given a little gift from my Mama.

I've been lurking here since this thread started. I've wanted to say hello but every time I tried I would get interrupted. I thought maybe this was the enemy trying to stop me but now I actually suspect it was the Immaculata stopping me because of something she wanted me to see that I wasn't.    Originally I was tempted to to write that I don't know that I've lived out my consecration very well, but upon prayer and reflection the Immaculata has shown me that although it hasn't necessarily manifested itself in the way I thought it would, my consecration has borne fruit in my life - quite a bit in fact. But then this is often the way with God isn't it? Things work out differently than we imagine they will. And yet God's way is always better.

So I'm here to say hello and encourage those of you who are new to this journey. I'll be renewing my consecration along with you.

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 11 2007 at 12:49am | IP Logged Quote Helen

MicheleQ wrote:
So I'm here to say hello and encourage those of you who are new to this journey. I'll be renewing my consecration along with you.

What wonderful news!
Thank you Michele

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 11 2007 at 3:22pm | IP Logged Quote Lissa

Another beautiful story, Michele. So glad you are here.

I love you ladies so much!

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Feb 12 2007 at 12:18am | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

I've spent less time than usual on the computer the past few weeks. When I noticed this thread it was already pages long after only a few days, and I decided to wait to read it until I had the time to get through it all. Well, here I am three weeks and 7 pages of posts (!!!) later.

Thank you all for sharing your stories. So many of them have touched me. I have to admit that I identify quite a bit with Cay and Lissa. I grew up in a post-Vatican II Catholic family and parish. I never learned to pray the rosary until my twenties and Mary was almost never mentioned. That, along with lots of involvement as a college student in evangelical protestant ministries, has made me a rather poor candidate for a strong relationship with my Mother in heaven.

My dh has a great love for the Blessed Mother and the rosary, so much of my Marian devotion comes through him. But as Lissa has said, I haven't felt it up to now. I have so far to go in cultivation a real heartfelt love for our mother, Mary. I am interested in continuing to read and pray along with you all.

One interesting coincidence is that I have been praying something new for the past few weeks, completely independent of this thread (since I hadn't yet read anything here). When I make a morning offering, I also pray a prayer to Mary. Only recently, for no apparent reason, I was inspired to add a one-line prayer in my own words each day asking Mary to help me be a better wife and mother. Maybe that was divine inspiration preparing me to follow along with you all here?

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 12 2007 at 12:39am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

teachingmom wrote:
One interesting coincidence is that I have been praying something new for the past few weeks, completely independent of this thread (since I hadn't yet read anything here). When I make a morning offering, I also pray a prayer to Mary. Only recently, for no apparent reason, I was inspired to add a one-line prayer in my own words each day asking Mary to help me be a better wife and mother. Maybe that was divine inspiration preparing me to follow along with you all here?

They're not coincidences are they?    God-incidences we jokingly refer to them at our place - but in this case a Mary-incidence!   

What a blessing to you and your girls in particular, to have a strong, devoted husband to his Heavenly Mother.    

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 12 2007 at 8:28am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

teachingmom wrote:
Only recently, for no apparent reason, I was inspired to add a one-line prayer in my own words each day asking Mary to help me be a better wife and mother. Maybe that was divine inspiration preparing me to follow along with you all here?

Wow, no coincidence there, Irene. That is amazing!

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 12 2007 at 8:59am | IP Logged Quote Lissa

Oh, Irene, more goosebumps! So glad you are here.

Rumpleteazer
Forum Pro
Forum Pro
"Cormac"

Posted: Feb 13 2007 at 1:24am | IP Logged Quote Rumpleteazer

Hello to all. I'm Clare, the daughter of Willa (WJFR), and I imagine the youngest to be participating, as I'm closing in on 17. Naturally that's a bit intimidating, but I'm so interested in the Consecration and growing closer to Mary.

I haven't made the Consecration, but I've always been devoted to Mary, a devotion that has grown as I have, and has been further inspired by my recent joining of the Legion of Mary as an auxiliary member.

I've enjoyed all the beautiful and inspiring stories. I don't really have one to tell, as I'm just beginning on my path to true devotion to Mary, but someday when I'm older I'll be able to say that one of my starts was on the Hidden Treasure forum!

I was so delighted to hear of the starting of this forum, even more so when I found I could participate. I'm looking forward to learning from all you older and wiser ladies!
Back to Top View Rumpleteazer's Profile Search for other posts by Rumpleteazer Visit Rumpleteazer's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 13 2007 at 5:19am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

So lovely to see you here Clare!

Let me tell you that I was only a year or so older when I first made my consecration, so don't feel intimidated, we are all learning together and in my case 're-learning.'

It is a great blessing you are wishing draw ever closer to Mary at such a young age ~ God bless you on your continuing journey!

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version