Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Liturgical Year Book Recommendations Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 21 2007 at 1:47pm | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

Has anyone seen these?

One Year with God

Celebrating the Church Year with Young Children

Thank you!

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 21 2007 at 2:39pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

BrendaPeter wrote:
Has anyone seen these?

Yes, I have them both. I can recommend them both geared for young children, and I'll explain individually below.

BrendaPeter wrote:
One Year with God

This Daughters of St. Paul book, written by Natalie Kadela is a great one-stop, open-the-book and get ideas for seasons and solemnities of the Liturgical Year for the younger children. Each Feast opens with an explanation to read to the child, a prayer, and then suggestions for projects including crafts, good deeds, prayers, activities. In the back are reproducible coloring pages for each feast. But it's for little ones, like 3-8? I forgot I had this book, so thanks for the memory prod.

BrendaPeter wrote:
Celebrating the Church Year with Young Children

This one by Joan Halmo I recommend but with reservations. Her theme and ideas are fabulous, based on the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd (CoGS). She emphasizes her focus on the Liturgical Year as the Church intends: focusing on Sunday and Easter, then Lent, then Christmas and Epiphany, then Advent.

Like CoGS, so many of the ideas are rich with symbolism, but provide a hands-on approach for the littles to embrace the Liturgy and the Liturgical Year. She even has a few recipes for each season.

Here are my reservations. The author mentions and quotes from a few texts I would not recommend. She also mentions inclusive language, liturgical dancing, and a few other more modern or Catholic PC terms (i.e., calling the Mass "Eucharist"). She includes music, although an off-hand recommendation of the St. Louis Jesuits in the first chapter made me almost throw the book away in disgust.

The Appendix includes a great chart of all the Scriptural readings needed for Sundays, and another appendix with short easy songs to teach to the children. I know CoGS does that, also, but that part doesn't appeal to me, as I think children love and can easily learn chant and hymns in many ways. Why dumb down when you can bring them to a higher level?

All these can be overlooked, as they aren't the main theme of her book. Many of her ideas would fit right along the ideas of this board.

I've wanted to recommend this resource, but can't put a super high endorsement because of the little things I mentioned above.

But, I just saw this past week that Mater Amabilis includes this book in their list for Prep level. So if it fulfills their high standards, I'd say it's a really good book.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 21 2007 at 3:33pm | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

Jenn, I knew you could help me! Thank you!

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version