Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Movies on WW2 for kids Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 21 2007 at 10:06am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Hi everyone - I am starting to think about my WW2 unit study - and getting all excited about it. I will post as soon as I have the energy to get it all typed up. I am stuck on movies for kid though - most are for adults. Please share any ideas you may have. I have:
- Miracle at Moreaux
- Hiding Place (not for kids)
- Bridge Over the River Kwai (not for kids)
- The Great Escape (not for kids?)
- Schindler's List (not for kids)
- Anne Frank's Diary (not for kids?)

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 21 2007 at 11:04am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Marilyn,

I'm not sure the ages of your kids, but The Longest Day is a great view. Not overly violent, but may be too long for the kids.

Also, don't forget The Sound of Music.

I'm forgetting others, but there are lots of fun musicals and comedies that were done during the War that portray homelife.

Then, for the girls in the audience, you could always watch Molly: An American Girl on the Home Front -- which has an interesting bonus feature about the USO and its impact for the soldiers.

I also did a blog post about knitting a scarf for WW2 vets that might be a fun project to do.....

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 21 2007 at 11:51am | IP Logged Quote stacykay

Thank you, Marilyn and Mary, for the great movie ideas. We won't be hitting WWII for two years, but I am going to file these away for then!

Marilyn, for the two movies you had question marks on, The Great Escape does have some who die in the movie. I don't know the ages of your dc, but that is a consideration. The English prisoners "duty to escape" is interesting, though.
As far as Anne Frank, I don't recall anything "graphic" in it, but the adults do quarrel. I don't think, since I was a teen seeing for the first time, to now, that my stomach doesn't drop at the end, when Anne is in the attic with the boy, whose name I can't recall, and you hear the eerie sound of the police/ss/whomever coming to their "hiding place."    Moves me to tears just thinking of it.

God Bless,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Jan 21 2007 at 2:44pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Hi Marilyn!
Would you believe that I thought of asking this very question here just the other day? I'm interested to read the input here. We are beginning our WWII studies here soon. We've already begun reading The Mitchell's: Five for Victory as a read aloud.

Maybe we could get our families together for a WWII field trip this spring?

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 21 2007 at 3:09pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

teachingmom wrote:
Hi Marilyn!
Would you believe that I thought of asking this very question here just the other day? I'm interested to read the input here. We are beginning our WWII studies here soon. We've already begun reading The Mitchell's: Five for Victory as a read aloud.

Maybe we could get our families together for a WWII field trip this spring?

Hi Irene - I have been wanting to pm you for days - still lacking energy. We have just finished the Mitchells!! - though theoretically we are not starting WW2 until next fall. I have a list - which is still handwritten of lots of books and resources - do you want it when I have typed it up?

We would love to get together for a field trip - WW2 Memorial or Holocaust Museum (is this ok for kids), Iwo Jima etc.

I will pm you soon about getting together - Abby would love to meet some more homeschooled girls - especially being surrounded by brothers who do not quite share her passion for dolls, sewing, knitting etc - though she tries very hard to make them!! I am just hoping that now I am entering wk 14 that the hyperemesis is going to start improving.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 21 2007 at 3:40pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

The Scarlet and the Black

It's been several years since we saw it but I think the whole family watched. It was very good. Anyone else, on the appropriateness for younger ages?

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 21 2007 at 4:30pm | IP Logged Quote Maddie

The Fighting Sullivans.

Mrs. Miniver

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 21 2007 at 4:37pm | IP Logged Quote Maddie

Spitfire

Battle of Britain

Tora! Tora! Tora!

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 21 2007 at 6:56pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

MaryM wrote:
The Scarlet and the Black

It's been several years since we saw it but I think the whole family watched. It was very good. Anyone else, on the appropriateness for younger ages?
Definitely ok for the younger ones, altho there are one or two scenes that may be chancy ...

But otherwise, I think it's a great view.

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 21 2007 at 7:45pm | IP Logged Quote stacykay

I had forgotten about Mrs. Miniver! Love that movie!

We have a Holocaust Museum nearby. I didn't see anything at their web-site, but I have heard from others that age-wise, 12-14 might be the youngest they would suggest, at least at this one.

I am filling my file with all your great suggestions! Thanks!

God Bless,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version