Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Brigid's Cloak Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
msclavel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 7:05pm | IP Logged Quote msclavel

I just read Brigid's Cloak to myself this afternoon to start preparing for it in February.

Honestly, I didn't think I would like this book.

It moved me to tears. There was something so beautiful and almost mystical about her kneeling to pray and being given this beautiful vision of the Holy Family in the stable. But I think it was the simplicity of the last line "I was in Bethlehem..." My heart just skipped a beat. I think it spoke to a longing within me for that very same closeness and intimacy with Our Lord and His Mother, to visit Him in the Blessed Sacrament and step out of time and place and simply tell everyone, "I was in Bethlehem."

Once again I am amazed at Cay's gift for picking these books. I think with this book I truly understand the meditative quality she is looking for.

Now I don't know how I'll be able to read it to the children and not be overwhelmed by it all over again. But that's not a bad thing, YKWIM?
Back to Top View msclavel's Profile Search for other posts by msclavel

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 8:38pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

This is my younger daughter's favorite book -- as Brigid is her middle name. For All Saint's Day last year I made a blue cloak that was lined with gold stars on a blue background -- she just thinks this is the coolest thing....she's always dancing around in it and then pretending she's Brigid shepherding her sheep.....

I too love this book!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 8:56pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

It's a favorite, here too...one of those tales from the cusp between pagan and Christian times that so appeals to me.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 19 2007 at 10:41pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

My dd-6 has asked to read it almost every night for the past week or so! It's beautiful. Helen Caan's illustrations are so rich.

Tonight we spent about 10 minutes comparing the bottom borders of each page . (which of course are beautiful). We picked our top 2 and decided to try to draw/paint them tomorrow! Who would've thought??????

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 19 2007 at 10:46pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Mary G wrote:
For All Saint's Day last year I made a blue cloak that was lined with gold stars on a blue background -- she's always dancing around in it and then pretending she's Brigid shepherding her sheep.....

Mary: do you have a picture of this on your blog, by chance? If you do, would you post the link? My dd would LOVE to see this!

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 20 2007 at 8:23am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

suzgallus wrote:
Mary G wrote:
For All Saint's Day last year I made a blue cloak that was lined with gold stars on a blue background -- she's always dancing around in it and then pretending she's Brigid shepherding her sheep.....

Mary: do you have a picture of this on your blog, by chance? If you do, would you post the link? My dd would LOVE to see this!

Suz -- no but I can put one up -- before St. Brigid's feast; I'll let you know here...

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 20 2007 at 12:55pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

I just picked our copy up at the library this morning! I can hardly believe her feast is just around the corner. It seems like it was just last year we were "discovering" this book.

Mary, I *love* the cloak idea - my boys would eat that up! I have wanted to find a starry blue fleece to make a nice blanket. I may check at the craft store tomorrow on the way home from church ...

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 20 2007 at 3:36pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

OOH, I'm so glad you brought this up, I need to get this one ASAP!! Blessings!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 20 2007 at 7:27pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Got it, it's amazing!! I LOVE the IRISH, must be why I love Alice so much!!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

CathinCoffeland
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 21 2007 at 4:39pm | IP Logged Quote CathinCoffeland

I cry everytime i read it -i cant help it.

Brigid is my dd's name saint and we had the book before we got c.m. - it was actully the deciding factor in buying cay's book!

Mary- what did you make your dd's cloak from, i made a simple one a while back from glittery blue felt but dd would love something "flowy"

Im so glad i saw this thread! all i have been thinking of is getting this baby born- i should plan some thing for dd before i go into labor (it better be before feb!!)

MAggie
Back to Top View CathinCoffeland's Profile Search for other posts by CathinCoffeland Visit CathinCoffeland's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 22 2007 at 11:59am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Mary G wrote:
suzgallus wrote:
Mary G wrote:

Suz -- no but I can put one up -- before St. Brigid's feast; I'll let you know here...
Here's the blog post with a photo of Maggie's cloak which she loves to wear as often as possible!

msclavel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2007 at 4:37pm | IP Logged Quote msclavel

Ladies, there is soooo much on the internet about St. Brigid! I am a little overwhlemed! Has anyone ever made a St. Brigid cross? Did you use something other than rushes?
Back to Top View msclavel's Profile Search for other posts by msclavel

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2007 at 5:05pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

msclavel wrote:
Ladies, there is soooo much on the internet about St. Brigid! I am a little overwhlemed! Has anyone ever made a St. Brigid cross? Did you use something other than rushes?

We made St. Brigid crosses a few years back using pipe cleaners (or, for those more politically correct "chenille stems") It was fun and easy to use these as they have a bit give to them and the kids could do the weaving -- you can also find them in just about any color. I'll have to go get some more at the Craft store so we can make these again.

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 27 2007 at 8:13pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Wanted to bump this and add this thread so no one misses out on any new ideas. Make sure you read Jenn's fabulous suggestions.

My girls and I are going to revisit this book this year. I think my 13 yr old ds won't even mind making a St. Brigid cross.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 28 2007 at 5:27am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Mary G wrote:
We made St. Brigid crosses a few years back using pipe cleaners (or, for those more politically correct "chenille stems")

Mary, thank you so much for this idea! I have not been able to get the straw I wanted but I *do* have plenty of beige pipe cleaners on hand!!

I thought on Thursday for tea we would serve Irish cheddar (St. Brigid being a patron of dairy farmers) and, of course, some decaffeinated Irish tea. I also found a nice easy recipe for St. Brigid's Bread in a new Ann Ball book I just received. If anyone would like it, I'd be happy to post it here.

We also have A Child's book of Celtic Prayers that we will include this week.

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 28 2007 at 1:34pm | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

I'd like the recipe, Dawn. I also noticed that early hour you posted. I'm thinking of having a family over for tea on Thursday afternoon and if I have something to go with St. Brigid's day all the better.

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 29 2007 at 5:39am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

From Ann Ball's Catholic Traditions in the Home and Classroom:

St. Brigid's Bread

2/3 cup butter or margarine
1/3 cup sour milk
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 pkg. yeast
1 egg
1 cup oats
1 cup Bisquick
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. allspice
1/2 tsp. ginger

Heat butter and milk to melt butter in microwave (or melt butter and scald milk). Add sugars. Allow to cool slightly and add yeast, stirring to mix. Let mixture rest for 10 minutes. Add slightly beaten egg. Mix all dry ingredients and stir into yeast mix. Lightly grease a Pyrex pie plate. Pour in batter and bake at 375 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes. When done, allow to cool slightly and serve warm with butter.

I have to say, I'm not sure what she means by sour milk ...?

mary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 29 2007 at 6:44am | IP Logged Quote mary

dawn, i bet it is kiefer. we buy ours, but here's a recipe for making your own. my kids love the stuff.

How To Make Kiefer

The best milk to use is organic whole milk (that comes with the cream on top) from cows never injected with synthetic hormones.

In the evening, pour the whole milk into a saucepan (for example, use 1 or 2 quarts of milk per person). If desired, skim the cream off first. Gently heat the milk until it comes to a boil, stuffing the milk every few minutes so it does not stick to the pan and burn. Then turn off the heat and let the milk cool until it is still fairly warm but not too hot to hold your finger in the milk. Heating the milk to a boil kills any undesirable bacteria which may compete against and inhibit the growth of the healthy kiefer bacteria.
Next, stir in 2 tablespoons or more of kiefer culture into the warm milk. Immediately pour the milk with the added culture into a large glass bowl, cover, then wrap the entire bowl, with 2 large towels to keep it warm. Place one towel under the bowl and cover over the top. Place the second towel on top and wrap the bowl from the top down. Keep it out of drafty, cool places.

By morning (about 6 to 8 hours later), you'll have delicious kiefer. The milk has been converted into kiefer when it has become thickened. This hearty kiefer strain can culture very fast (within a few hours if kept fairly warm).
Back to Top View mary's Profile Search for other posts by mary

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 29 2007 at 7:28am | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

Could she just mean milk with some vinegar or lemon juice added in? That's what I use when I don't have buttermilk.

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

MichelleW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 29 2007 at 10:16am | IP Logged Quote MichelleW

Dawn,

My favorite recipe from my grandma uses sour milk. Evidently, in the days before homogenization milk used to actually sour without going bad. You can recreate this with non-homoginized milk. You can also make your own by souring as KC mentioned. I have also found that regular plain milk is fine. Soured milk works as a leavening help. Not essential, but nice.

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version