Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Literature
 4Real Forums : Living Literature
Subject Topic: Revising the Real Learning Booklist Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 5:55am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Real Learning (the book) will be revised this spring for its second edition. One plan in the works is to revise the booklist. We'll add some books and delete some books. We can change the format, too. Here's the place to tell me about books to drop. Here's the place to suggest a "don't miss" book. Here's the place to make your wishes known for organization or structure of the list.You're the experts; let's let the second edition reflect the wisdom we've gained since the first edition was first published.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 12:13pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Are you thinking about dropping Greek myths? How about an "optional reading suggestion" within each month?

I'm up for helping, as always.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 1:37pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

MacBeth wrote:
Are you thinking about dropping Greek myths? How about an "optional reading suggestion" within each month?

I'm up for helping, as always.

No. coincidental posts, that's all. Hey, I know. Let's go camping and figure it out. Worked the first time...

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)

KellyinPA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 3:54pm | IP Logged Quote KellyinPA

Elizabeth,

When will the second edition be published? I was just about to purchase the first one, but I'll wait for the second one if it will be ready soon

the abundant life
Back to Top View KellyinPA's Profile Search for other posts by KellyinPA

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 3:58pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

KellyinPA wrote:
Elizabeth,

When will the second edition be published? I was just about to purchase the first one, but I'll wait for the second one if it will be ready soon

Well, I have a nursing baby who cries whenever we sit at the computer. I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you, Kelly .

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 4:05pm | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

Elizabeth,

I am acting bold here..feel free to dismiss me...my siblings normally do.

Could there be a list of read alouds geared for just boys and just girls?

Just a list of your top recommendations...along the lines of what Mary G was asking in the Top 12.

I just really enjoyed the thread when Alice asked about read alouds for her ds...the recommendations were excellent!

I love the booklist...it has often gone to the library with me....the ease is great...very user friendly...just thought another separate list would be fun and informative.

JMO!

Have gone to bed with your book the last two evenings. Dh is laughing because I don't talk to him...I just read and then say "here read this NOW!" I finally have the book back after loaning it to someone...who took 6 months to give it back!!

God bless,

Marybeth

KellyinPA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 4:19pm | IP Logged Quote KellyinPA

LOL, Elizabeth! I understand completely!
Okay, I'll just go ahead and order the first edition. Does it benefit you to order directly through you?

the abundant life
Back to Top View KellyinPA's Profile Search for other posts by KellyinPA

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 7:38pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

I was frantically digging for your book the other night to read the burnout chapter. Its like therapy. Of course in the chaos that was causing the burnout I couldn't find it, but it turned up today. Whew!!

Keep a chapter on burnout.

Maybe add some stuff about teenage boys and hs-ing? Or a chapter on hs-ing high school, not that we expect you to be an expert, but its nice to know what has worked for others.

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 8:48pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

KellyinPA wrote:
LOL, Elizabeth! I understand completely!
Okay, I'll just go ahead and order the first edition. Does it benefit you to order directly through you?

It definitely does

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 9:17pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

I've also just gotten my book back. When I first read it, I had 1 week to digest and give it back before I moved. Then I got my own copy last Christmas, and loaned it out immediately. All that to say...I'm just starting to check out the book list.

One thing I'm having trouble with now is figuring out what to give my new readers. They are beyond Henry and Mudge, but aren't at Little House (I'm sure that represents quite a spread). Is the elementary book list be at a level that these kids can read or is it more geared toward my reading to them? I did actually get some books off the list last week and I already can't remember. I guess this is probably not really helping you, sorry.

ETA: I think I would like to see a book list like that if that's not what the original lst is for. Am I making any sense? Crud, I'm going to stop talking and go read it again.

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 8:16am | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

Elizabeth, I would recommend adding some of Gloria Whelan's books. We are working through her quartet of books set in 20th century Russia - Angel on the Square, The Impossible Journey, Burying the Sun and The Turning - and loving them. Good stories, and lots of historical information woven into them. I would suggest them for 6th or 7th grade, I think. They could fit into a section on Russia, or on 20th century history. I have reviewed the two we have read so far here and here.

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 10:28am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Elizabeth

Just quickly I'll think on this more.
I recently lent Landscapes with Dragons to a friend and one comment she made was that many of the books listed in the back were out of print and therefore was very disappointed. Now I haven't looked at your list that way as I rarely buy anything new, but are many of your titles readily available?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 12:52pm | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

Marybeth wrote:
Elizabeth,

I am acting bold here..feel free to dismiss me...my siblings normally do.

Could there be a list of read alouds geared for just boys and just girls?

I have to agree here. My almost 11 yog is absolutely slogging through Redwall. My boy was finished with the first book in three days. And I don't think my eldest boy will appreciate the Little House series (I think you have to catch them younger if you want boys to read Little House).

Individual books I might drop (and ones which we never bought or which we sold after having had them for a little while): The 23rd Psalm (I don't care for the Rod and Staff page ... the little girl looks a bit beligerant to me), Rain Makes Applesauce (I didn't know how to go about schooling with this one, it was very nonsensical to me), and I also don't understand the need for several Hush Little Baby books. Think we skipped all of those.

Much of what's on the list either we haven't intriduced or we love!

To add: Daisy Comes Home (would you add that with Ping or with the other Jan Brett stuff?), Sea Star (the third in the Marguerite Henry series: Misty first, then Stormy...actually, *any* Marguerite Henry would be great additions. Benjamin West and His Cat Grimalkin is one of our favorites. Also, Eleanor Jewett's Hidden Treasure of Glaston and Big John's Secret would be wonderful additions. Also Calico Captive and *especially* The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare. One more off the top of my head: Secret in the Sand by Mary Edmondston. The review of this book is in my blog.

I hope I've not offended anyone and axed your favorites. Anyway, I'm really the only one who will cut them, if you choose to keep them. These are just my ideas. I might have more when I have time to peruse my shelves.

God bless,

SaraP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 8:30pm | IP Logged Quote SaraP

What about Graeme Base's picture books?

The Eleventh Hour is definitely not to be missed, IMHO.

wamegomom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 10:10pm | IP Logged Quote wamegomom

Elizabeth, your book is one of a few I'd grab in case of a fire! I'm looking forward to Karoline's 3rd year (VBG) to see the second edition.

Would you please include a chapter on what you have been learning about learning disabilities this year with your dc? There are so many days with ds, age 8, who struggles with CAPD among other things, when I wish I could pick up something from you for inspiration, or encouragement to keep on it. My 14 y.o. dd is dealing with visual processing disorder, c.p., and nystagmus. I know you have a chapter in the first edition, but I'm sure you could write more from what you are learning now! It would be such an encouragement.

Mary Alice in Kansas
Back to Top View wamegomom's Profile Search for other posts by wamegomom

Molly Smith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 19 2007 at 11:42am | IP Logged Quote Molly Smith

I absolutely love the booklist, but I've completely reformatted it to be arranged by month. Now I'll just go to my library website, pull out my February booklist that has the books listed for the first 3 or 4 years of the master list and get busy reserving. My kids are 11, 8, 7, 4, 2 and a baby, and I find that we go back and forth across those "year" lines easily.

I'd appreciate a "red flag" list of books and/or authors. Try as I might, I just can't pre-read everything and sometimes things look so harmless on the cover!

lamamaloca
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Jan 19 2007 at 8:01pm | IP Logged Quote lamamaloca

I would love to see Sidney and Norman: A Tale of Two Pigs by Phil Vischer on the list. This is an incredible book, one of the most powerful picture books I've read.

Mom to Pauly, Roger and Rosemarie
Back to Top View lamamaloca's Profile Search for other posts by lamamaloca

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 20 2007 at 9:57pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

I still use the Real Learning booklist when we are looking for ideas - I have it on my comouter now since my books is early always out on loan!

Ae you goin to be adding a high school section? A hih school reading list would be super.

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 21 2007 at 9:29am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

Molly Smith wrote:
I absolutely love the booklist, but I've completely reformatted it to be arranged by month.

Molly, I did the same thing!

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 21 2007 at 12:27pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

We love the Edward Ardizzone books (Little Tim and...) set in England, all about sea life and ships.
Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version