Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Cay, some questions Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
bfarmmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 16 2007 at 8:52am | IP Logged Quote bfarmmom

Hi Cay or anyone else,
First I want to say that I LOVE Catholic Mosaic. We received ours this month. This book is such a treasure, I am so thankful to have it!
I also bought the Home Catechessis Manuals by Moira Farrell, that you recommend. Those are also absolutely wonderful. I can't wait to get started on some of those lessons. I was looking over some of the lessons and I was wondering if you new where I might find some of the "figures" that are in the lessons, such as Jesus, travelers, blind beggar, etc. I was just wondering if you have done these lessons and what you have used or if you have any ideas. I am stumped, anything I think of using is either to big or the figures that I can round up are all different sizes. Maybe I am being to picky. Thanks so much for any ideas.

Sonlight Garden
Back to Top View bfarmmom's Profile Search for other posts by bfarmmom Visit bfarmmom's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 16 2007 at 9:13am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Kirsten:
There are previous threads about this:

here (lots of threads within this link)
and
here

We are making our way through the 3-5 album, so haven't had a lot of figures yet. I'm keeping my nativity set out, though, and we have Noah figure that was used as Micah and Isaih for the Advent presentations.

I sort of just "plunged in" and will take each need as it arises, otherwise I get too caught up in the details and would NEVER start.

I guess I really didn't answer your question but just referred you to lots of pages of reading.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 16 2007 at 9:59am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Thank you for providing those links, Suzanne.
Kirsten, I'm so glad your family is enjoy Catholic Mosaic. Does my good to hear that.   

I just posted pictures of our baptismal presentation at my blog. You can see for yourself that things don't always go perfectly or reverently but we still get so much out of these presentations. After the presentations my girls wouldn't let me put the altar and items up but played with it all afternoon.

The materials can get pricey but I don't let that divert me from my main goal...teaching my children a love and fondness for all things of the Catholic faith.

There are ways around the expense.

For our baptismal presentation, I used a glass salad bowl. I didn't have a shell or a shell-shaped bowl for the water so we used the little finger bowl. We don't have a proper Paschal Candle (but plan to in time for Easter) so we used Annie's baptismal candle.

Before purchasing the altar set, I used a small glass chip-dip bowl for the finger bowl and a small glass vinager cruet found at the dollar store. (We now have a proper mass set .)

I have also used nativity figures instead of the wooden figures. I know there is a beautiful philosophy behind the wooden pieces and I do intend to get some or have my son make some but, for now, I use what I can find.

My son made us our wooden Jesse Tree and I trimmed in green felt (which I'm horrified to admit that my girls used as a Christmas tree for the dogs this past Christmas instead of its original purpose ). He also cut me out the circular Good Shepherd board and someone who runs a Good Shepherd atrium told me to stain with green stain instead of putting on felt.

I rather cut corners and use what I have rather than these beautiful albums sit on my shelf unused. (And I'm not trying to make anyone feel badly if they have these albums that are sitting on their shelf unused .) Really, I'm just like all of you. Sometimes my albums sit on the bottom altar shelf untouched for months.    The mother has to be committed to getting them down and opening them up. But they are so worth the effort. I view them as part of my vocational training.

The one thing I have found we really needed to do the presentations is the minature mass kit.

Our Father's house has this set (scroll down) for $54.00.

Catholic Montessori has a complete set that comes in a lovely velvet-lined, section wooden box (or you can buy items separately).

You have to look at it as an investment for your children and future grandchildren. It's a lovely investment and is part and parcel of observing and celebrating the liturgical year within our domestic churches.

Worth every penny.

HTH!

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

bfarmmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 16 2007 at 10:00am | IP Logged Quote bfarmmom

Thanks Suzanne, This awnsered all of my questions.

Sonlight Garden
Back to Top View bfarmmom's Profile Search for other posts by bfarmmom Visit bfarmmom's Homepage

bfarmmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 16 2007 at 10:05am | IP Logged Quote bfarmmom

Cay, we posted at the same time Thank you for the great ideas and inspiration. Thank you for posting.

Sonlight Garden

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 16 2007 at 10:09am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Cay Gibson wrote:
My son made us our wooden Jesse Tree and I trimmed in green felt (which I'm horrified to admit that my girls used as a Christmas tree for the dogs this past Christmas instead of its original purpose )

[QUOTE=Cay Gibson]I rather cut corners and use what I have rather than these beautiful albums sit on my shelf unused. The mother has to be committed to getting them down and opening them up. But they are so worth the effort. [QUOTE]

so true!

[QUOTE=Cay Gibson]The one thing I have found we really needed to do the presentations is the minature mass kit.
[QUOTE]

We got the one from Our Father's House and it 's great! The girls recognize things during Mass...it's made Mass a whole different experience for them.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 16 2007 at 10:14am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

suzgallus wrote:
Cay Gibson wrote:
My son made us our wooden Jesse Tree and I trimmed in green felt (which I'm horrified to admit that my girls used as a Christmas tree for the dogs this past Christmas instead of its original purpose )

Our dogs are often part of our feasts, celebrations, and congregation.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version