Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Spend all your time with your kids Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
amiefriedl
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 17 2005 at 9:21pm | IP Logged Quote amiefriedl

Elizabeth wrote:
One thing that has impressed me as I re-read the beginning of Story of a Soul was Zelie Martin's careful observations in writing. She recorded very subtle nuances about her child. I'd like to do that...

This is a concept that is really well planned out in Mary Ann Budnik's book Raise Happy Children...Teach Them Virtues!. She explains the four temperaments very nicely and then provides a thought provoking examination of conscious for each temperament. Then she clearly sets out instructions for creating a 'virtues notebook' that can be a game plan for working on strong and weak points in a child's character growth. I personally didn't know the part about Zelie Martin doing a variation on this idea. Or if I did, I just plain forgot! I'm sure Mrs. Budnik did know it though because in the second volume of the "Raise Happy Children" series she does a nice examination of the Martin family.

I pleased as punch to hear about Zelie Martin using this method though because I always feel a bit 'crazy' for going to such details sometimes. Time to ramp up my notebook again!

Back to Top View amiefriedl's Profile Search for other posts by amiefriedl Visit amiefriedl's Homepage

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 17 2005 at 10:23pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Marybeth wrote:
There were five children in my family growing up. My Dad would offer up his rosary one day for each child. He would always mix up the days and tell us at dinner who he prayed for that day. He always said his rosary on the train going to and from work. It always made us feel very special. I love the fact now as an adult that every Sat. his rosary was for my Mom. I didn't appreciate that fully as a child.
Marybeth
PS..he still does this everyday for each child but now includes spouses and grandchildren on that particular day also....

What a beautiful thing--your father is very special. When I still had five, I purchased personalized rosaries with each of their names on the five decades (and gave similar rosaries to my husband, mother, and father for Christmas). These beads are a treasure and a wonderful reminder to pray for each child individually every day.

Now that we have six children, I need to have the beads updated!

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 18 2005 at 3:53am | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

Alice,
I am going to order some of the personalized rosaries for gifts. Thank you for the link. God bless.
Marybeth
Back to Top View Marybeth's Profile Search for other posts by Marybeth

Genevieve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 18 2005 at 7:56am | IP Logged Quote Genevieve

Every time I mean to post something here, I feel inspired to go spend one-on-one time with my kids.

Elizabeth wrote:

Zelie Martin's careful observations in writing. She recorded very subtle nuances about her child. I'd like to do that...

I actually started doing something like this based on a similar convversation on a Montessori egroup. What finally worked was that every day at a certain time, I stopped doing whatever I was doing and wrote in my journal what a particular child was doing for those 10 minutes. If nothinge was happening (they are both asleep) , I would record something that happened earlier. Journaling doesn't come natural to me and sometimes I get busy with just holding up the fort. But this seemed to have worked and I have learnt a lot about my children but just focusing 10 minutes on each child every day.

Alice: Love the link!

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 18 2005 at 10:47am | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

I am inspired to start journaling today! Hopefully I can cultivate this habit. I know Flylady says it takes 21 days to make something a habit.
My ds just asked me why my x-ray vision isn't working today!?! Nice to know he thinks I have in the first place.
Marybeth

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 18 2005 at 11:27am | IP Logged Quote Willa

When I had five kids I used to say a decade for each child and for their future spouses or vocations. I prayed for DH separately. Now that I have 7 kids, I have to think of a separate system. Recently I've been using the virtues that go with the mysteries to intercede for the child that might have particular need of that virtue or gift. But I think I will try Marybeth's Dad's idea of praying different Rosaries for different kids and using that time to focus on them.   

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 19 2005 at 7:53pm | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

I just printed off The Domestic Monastery. Thank you for the link. I think this article is very timely for me. I finish volunteering with several organizations soon which will greatly free up my time. Hopefully I will use my new found time/freedom wisely.

I plan to reread Mothers Rule of Life and get started on the areas in my life which need a little fine tuning.

Glad my Dad's rosary "system" will work out for some of you with larger families. I am a Daddy's girl so I always love knowing he is thinking about me and praying for me.

God bless,

Marybeth

Molly Smith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 20 2005 at 6:10am | IP Logged Quote Molly Smith

Leonie wrote:
So, here I am. I am learning again to focus on truly being with my family - and to only use "set" times for other reading or the internet. I am trying to make those times the times *not when no-one needs me - I am trying to be with dh and the kids whether there is a need or not! lol!

Leonie, thank you for this! Your words have stuck with me since the day you posted them, and they have made a difference in my life!! I just figured that if no one actually needed me at that moment, it must be a free moment! But, I'm inflicting myself upon them need it or not . Seriously, though, I discovered that my boys just didn't disturb me if I was on the computer, and I thought they didn't need me because they were off playing--a catch-22. I've played more board games and construction trucks, had the two littles outside on the swings and for walks. Thank you, thank you, for the little kick, Leonie!

Molly Smith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 20 2005 at 6:12am | IP Logged Quote Molly Smith

Marybeth wrote:
Glad my Dad's rosary "system" will work out for some of you with larger families. I am a Daddy's girl so I always love knowing he is thinking about me and praying for me.

I love this! Since I currently have 5 children and a husband , your dad's system would work great for me! Thanks for the suggestion!

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version