Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: Teenager wants to develop his muscles Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 12 2005 at 2:04pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

My 16yo son has been asking me for ways to weight-train and increase his muscle mass. It doesn't have to involve weight-lifting per se -- he was shovelling snow this winter for example -- but would just like a variety of ideas. Are there any books he could read, websites, personal advice or experience from any of you?

Thanks!

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Taffy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 12 2005 at 6:20pm | IP Logged Quote Taffy

Willa,

I found this book to be very informative... Here's the link and info:

"Getting Stronger"

Hope it helps

Back to Top View Taffy's Profile Search for other posts by Taffy

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 14 2005 at 3:25am | IP Logged Quote Leonie

My teens also like the book Toning for Teens by Joyce Vedral. And the Tae Bo workouts on video/VHS by Billy Blanks ( works on muscle development via martial arts).

Leonie in Sydney
Back to Top View Leonie's Profile Search for other posts by Leonie

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 14 2005 at 12:21pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

Thanks Liz and Leonie!

Take Up and Read

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: May 15 2005 at 5:03am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Michael Foss Writes:

He can build mass in many different ways. The easiest, and most inexpensive way is just using your own body weight, doing simple push ups and dips. You need a strong chair for both. For the push up, rest the balls of your feet on the chairtop, slowly lower your chest to the floor and then, in a continuous motion straighten your elbows. For the dips, face away from the chair, grip the chair, palms on the top and fingers on the bottom. Keep your knees straight as you bend your elbows until they make a right angle and then come back up.
I usually do 25 push ups, 4 times, and 30 dips, 5 times.
Here are few other exercises that require weights:
The chest press is hands down the best way to increase chest, arm, and back mass.
I also do lateral arm raises, and frontal raises with dumbbells for my arms and shoulders. When doing the lateral and frontal raises be careful not to use a lot of weight as you can easily injure yourself (I have).
To build leg mass and tone I would suggest purchasing a 7 or 6 Kg (15 lb) Medicine ball, (about $25-$30) and use it with lunges. lunge 20 yards forward and then on the way back lunge backwards, that builds both your quads, and hamstrings.
A good way to build calf mass is a simple calf raise. Get on the first stair of a staircase with your heels hanging off the edge. Keeping your knees straight, move your heels slowly up and down.

A two books I highly recommend are:

Mark Verstegen's Core Fitness, I have checked this book out of the library so many times. The exercises are phenomenal.

Core Performance: The Revolutionary Workout Program to Transform Your Body and Your Life

Lorne Goldenberg's Strength Ball Training is another that I have read several times over:
Strength Ball Training

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 23 2005 at 1:48pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

We don't have older sons so we are not particularly knowledgeable here. My dh was once into weight lifting etc. and wanted the rest of us couch potatoes to get into better physical condition so he bougt a chin-up bar from Wal-Mart or someplace like that. He hung it up in the doorway between the laundry room and den and we all tried to do chin -ups. When it wasn't being climbed on, or pulled on, I used it to hang up laundry coming out of the washer or dryer.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

time4tea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 02 2005 at 3:04pm | IP Logged Quote time4tea

Hi!

Sorry to get in on this post so late!

My husband does the "Fitness Made Simple" workouts with John Basedow. He really enjoys them, so he has been introducing the workouts to our oldest ds, at this point using light weights and just stressing form. It has been wonderful for both of them. The workouts are very easy, meaning they are not complicated. They feature only tried and true weight training exercises. Perhaps just as important, they do not feature women exercisers wearing the latest, skimpy workout clothes, so they are great for teenage boys in that way, too!

Hope this helps!

Blessings,

Jenny
Back to Top View time4tea's Profile Search for other posts by time4tea

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 09 2005 at 10:50am | IP Logged Quote Chari

Willa.........ever since you started this thread, I have been searching the web for a certain group that I KNOW has two great books for Catholic young men...........and I believe one is about physical shape.........I guess I do not have their literature right now either.

Well, today I found a pamphlet from them, so, if you write to this address, you can ask for their list of books and tapes

Soldiers of Christ
Box 100
Kenosha, Wisconsin

I have always been tempted to buy the books for my boys........but have never got around to it.

They do not appear to have a website   

How's life without Clare ?

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 09 2005 at 11:34am | IP Logged Quote Willa

Thanks, Michael for the book recommendations and exercise descriptions.   That's awfully helpful, especially since our library system has both. Would you recommend the strength ball over a set of weights if you had to choose between the two?

Also, thanks Jenny and Janet and Chari! Chari, what's life like without Anne? I feel very solitary here -- even our dog and cat are males....

Take Up and Read

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 09 2005 at 6:24pm | IP Logged Quote Chari

"I" have a mama cat with four sweet kittens!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version