Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Gift of Gracias Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
farmgirls
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 26 2007 at 6:17am | IP Logged Quote farmgirls

You ladies are so remarkable and inspiring but I am not always quite as prepared so I thought I would post what we did with another family yesterday for our reading of Our Lady of Altagracia.

After we read the book, we commented on the foreshadowing of "the orange sun was sinking below the horizon." Comparing it to all the orange suns in the trees of the Lady's apparition. We talked about how you can't always tell what is meant as a foreshadow unless you read the book twice!

We compared the size of the original picture, 33cm*45cm, and converted it to inches to see how little it is.

Looked at a map to find Spain and the Dominican Republic, talking about how it was formerly called Hispaniola and it's being the island where Columbus landed. Also compared the colors of the national flag to the colors of Our Lady's dress.

We BOUGHT orange flavored cookies, Cadbury chocolate covered orange flavored wafers, which happen to be in the shape of orange slices. There were also three different types of oranges sliced open so they could compare them. They all agreed that oranges looked more appealing than olives! We drank orange juice and took a whiff of orange blossom water which I did happen to have on hand.

We did the copywork and colored a picture of Our Lady.

Maybe it is more than I thought!

Blessings,
Katy
Back to Top View farmgirls's Profile Search for other posts by farmgirls

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 26 2007 at 10:18am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Katy:
That sounds so great! What fun!
Isn't it funny that when you write down what you actually did, it ends up being so much more than you thought?

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 26 2007 at 10:28am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Katy,
Welcome to the board.
This is so great.
Such gentle, productive learning happening at your house.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 16 2008 at 10:15pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

MaryM wrote:
Cay, in Mosaic you suggest studying the various apparitions around the world during the year. Did you have an idea of which appartitions to use? There are lists of the "approved" apparations, then there are other apparations that have been claimed. There are also many ethnic depictions of Mary that aren't associated with apparitions. Would you use those as well?

We have started a focus of Mary under her various titles (many of which are related to apparitions like January's OL of Altagracia). I shared the first month's images here.

Mary,
Can you believe a year later I'm just now getting to this???

My children and I do what you mentioned doing "focus of Mary under her various titles". I get too confused with which apparitions have been approved and which ones haven't and why and why not. Anyway, I like to read the legends and symbols that go with the various titles and, as you said, we usually end up covering the apparitions this way.

Every year I have big plans to make a notebook of all the Marian titles and apparitions. Every year we do a few and never finish. Hopefully my children will absorb something of our readings and studies.

It's January. Perfect time to open the Catholic Mosaic to page 218 and focus on this study.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 18 2008 at 9:21am | IP Logged Quote Martha

Oh yea! I'm doing this for coop on the 25th and came to my favorite resource for ideas and find 3 pages of them! Very happy! thanks ladies!

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

joann10
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 18 2008 at 2:24pm | IP Logged Quote joann10

We learned about Our Lady of Altagracia for the first time last week from Catholic Mosaic. The children and I absolutely loved A Gift of Gracias. We also used Cay's suggestion and made a collage (more like a poster) of what we are thankful for. You can see it here.
Back to Top View joann10's Profile Search for other posts by joann10

NavyMom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 18 2008 at 3:53pm | IP Logged Quote NavyMom

What a fun thread to find (and perfect timing)! I have checked A Gift of Gracias out from the library and was planning to read it to my kids but now I have so many ideas to go along with the reading! I am going to do a search for Maddie's muffins and try Dawn's snowballs and make an ORANGE TEA PARTY for the kids and 2 friends next week. We will have to celebrate on Wed (2 days late) but that is OK!

Margot, thanks for the link to Illuminated Ink- I just ordered the set of Marion Apparition Cards.

Tracy and Dawn- We too have a copy of 'Days of the Blackbird' I picked it up at a used book shop and have been saving it. It too sits on a special shelf with all my other CM books. Do you do anything special with this book?

Thanks for all the lovely ideas ladies!

Back to Top View NavyMom's Profile Search for other posts by NavyMom Visit NavyMom's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 02 2009 at 10:13pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Bumping this, as we are a mere 2.5 weeks away   

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 03 2009 at 10:05am | IP Logged Quote momwise

Wow, this thread is 2 yrs. old. It's always hilarious to go back and read someone's replies and then realize it was your post !

Thanks for the reminder Suzanne. It helped more than you know.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version