Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: Celiac Disease-new diagnosis Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
wahoo92
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 09 2007 at 5:03pm | IP Logged Quote wahoo92

One of my best friends was just diagnosed with Celiac Disease. There is no history in her family and her initial labs did not show evidence of the disease. So, this has come as quite a shock (it was diagnosed from a biopsy during a scope procedure). She and her husband are both medical, so they completely understand the disease process and its implications. What she is distraught over is the changes in her day to day life that this diagnosis will require (with regards to adhering to a gluten-free diet). She already has four picky little eaters (ages one to seven) and due to her husband's erratic schedule, prepares more than one dinner daily. She could hardly make it through the grocery store yesterday as she tried to find ANYTHING that she could eat. She bought a few gluten free breads that were just tasteless. She is such an upbeat, positive person, and it was sad to see her so distraught. I have noticed from time to time here that ideas are discussed regarding gluten free diets. I am asking if any of you have any good resources to share-recipe books (although she loathes the thought of having to make so many foods from scratch), web sites, or places that offer products for the gluten sensitive person.   Our local Whole Foods was quite a disappointment as far as gluten free products go. Any ideas?? Thank you.
Back to Top View wahoo92's Profile Search for other posts by wahoo92

Anneof 5
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 09 2007 at 6:07pm | IP Logged Quote Anneof 5

Hi,
I have been gluten free for over a year and it is getting easier than it once was. Do a google search for gluten free foods. Check out www.celiac.com. Lots of message boards there. There are lots of resources out there. I am blessed to have a local natural foods store where gluten free foods are labeled on the shelf with red tags so they are easier to find. But I can find a lot at my local Super Target, too, if I know what to look for. Many brand names are OK. There are lists on the websites that others share with us although ingredients can change without notice so we have to stay current with that. It might be easier to just stay with plain meats and vegetables and stay away from processed foods where gluten can be hidden in everything (salad dressings, soups, etc.). I tend to eat plain meats (seasoned with gluten free spices-McCormick spices are usually fine), rices, fresh vegetables and fruits and such. I eat eggs a lot. Reading labels has become second nature for me. Books such as "Wheat free, Worry free" and others are helpful. I think there is now even a Gluten free for Dummies book. "Gluten Free Pantry" brownies are fantastic! They have a website and catalog.
Bread is a tough one. I have just finally found one locally that comes the closest to real bread that I have been able to find in the past year and a half!! But I don't eat a lot of it anymore so having to spend $6.50 a loaf on it is an occasional treat for me.
I did get pretty down about it after I was diagnosed but it is better than the alternative, which includes stomach distress and host of other symptoms for me if I accidentally ingest it. Tell her to hang in there. My kids have learned a lot and my 5yo is always asking if this or that is gluten free. (We made all of our Christmas cookies by substituting Bob's Red Mill GF flour for regular flour and they were pretty tasty!)
If you have anymore questions I would be happy to help.
Anne
Back to Top View Anneof 5's Profile Search for other posts by Anneof 5

lilac hill
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2007 at 6:38pm | IP Logged Quote lilac hill

I like the taste of Pamela's mixes, can even get them at Amazon grocery. When I used the baking mix for cranberry nut muffins, they did not get gummy or cave in. Still need to try to make bread.
Rice cakes, corn tortillas, New Grist beer, Puffins cereal, and my rice cooker all help. And stay away from soy sauce for that rice, try tamari instead. We eat many more potatoes.
Popcorn, chocolate,french fries and coffee are still on the fine list

Wife to Rick (7/83), Mom to dd#1(6/87), dd#2(1/90), and dd#3(6/94) in central PA.
Back to Top View lilac hill's Profile Search for other posts by lilac hill

krgammel
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 09 2007 at 7:13pm | IP Logged Quote krgammel

We have a family in our local group that have Celiac. Mom was in a car accident earlier in the year and we have alternated cooking for them, this GFCF Diet lists all the products that are safe.

We were able to purchase many items at Super Target and there is a company called The 99 cent store that has a large variety of GFCF baking mixes.

In the meantime here is the list of items we shared within the group for those taking food into them:

White Rice
Hormel Natural Choice Deli Meat (Honey turkey or smoked ham)
Wishbone Italian Robusto Salad Dressing
Prego Spaghetti Sauce TRADITIONAL ONLY
GREAT VALUE brand taco shells from Walmart
Any kind of fresh or frozen veggie or fruit
MOTTS BRAND NATURAL APPLESAUCE 6pk
Lay's Brand Plain or Wavy potato chips
Sprite
Minute Maid Brand Juice Boxes MUST BE 100% juice
Juicy Juice Brand Juice Boxes MUST BE 100% juice
Skittles
Double Bubble Bubble Gum
Gluten Free BBQ flavored Rice Cakes on diet isle at Walmart
Unpopped popcorn kernals in a bag
Carrott Sticks
Frito Brand Fritos
Quaker Brand Apple Cinnamon Rice Cakes (THIS FLAVOR ONLY)
Cashews
Jet Puff Marshmellows
Sam's Semi Sweet Chocolate Morsels
Pear Juice

I know she has been able to buy Pamela's Pasta at Big Lot.

Hope this helps, feel free to PM me if you'd like. We could get them connected for recipes etc.

+Kristen in TX
Back to Top View krgammel's Profile Search for other posts by krgammel

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 09 2007 at 7:45pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Hello Wahoo, my family does not Celiac disease, but 3 of us suffer from allergies to wheat, dairy and eggs. We just found out last year, so it's been a quite a change for us too. I feel that cooking from scratch is your friend's best defense, as there are just so many products out there that contain gluten. Yes, there are mixes and pre-processed stuff but if she's open at all to experimenting....

if I may ask, what kinds of food is she into -- or was, until the Celiac diagnosis? Is she adventurous at all or is she pretty much a pasta - bread person? If she's interested in Asian food I can help her a bunch there -- I post most of those recipes at noodlesandrice.com. I also have some allergy-free recipes at stefoodie.net.

and at bakingdelights.com -- just click on "allergy-free" in the categories -- the great thing is that where I/we write "egg replacer" she can just use real eggs. And use butter instead of the applesauce or oil or shortening that we use.

oooh, and two of my favorite gluten-free blogs:

gluten free girl
gluten free by the bay

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 09 2007 at 9:16pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

First of all, my heart goes out to her friend. When my son was first diagnosed of being allergic to wheat, eggs and milk, I was nursing and had to be on the same diet. I went through many stages of despair, anger, frustration, depression, denial, sadness... I cried so many times. And my first visit to Whole Foods was AWFUL!!! It's a whole change of life, and being an adult, it's very, very hard to change the habits. She needs to allow herself to grieve.

I have tons of ideas....she does not need to despair of every buying premade foods! It's so much easier now for celiacs or those with food allergies?

May I ask what area do you live? Do you have a Trader Joe's nearby?

Like Stef's family, my son is allergic to eggs, wheat and milk. I have a food blog (in my signature) and try to record meals we can serve...but I'm not a great foodie like Stef. We use oat flour, and barley flour on occasion. Depending on the doctor's opinion, oat is a questionable flour.

Have your friend shop at the more expensive upscale grocery store in her town....most probably there is an organic or specialty food aisle there. My grocery store carried Tinkyada pastas, which are rice pasta, safe for gluten free diets. There are all kinds of cereals and other products marked as gluten free. At the first stages I would just find all the packaging that's marked "gluten free".

In the frozen food department my store carries an Amy's brand that has a line of gluten free (although vegetarian) entrees...and they are tasty. There are also frozen rice waffles, Van's is one of the main brands, although Trader Joe's has their own brand which I like better.

Read Bette Hagman's books from the library...and there are many other authors for celiacs and gluten free diets. I have a list from Hagman's book I typed up for someone else of things to avoid when reading labels if you would like me to send it on to you. PM your email address if you wish.

Gluten-Free Products & Warnings (including Dairy-Free Products)

And although this is for allergies, this still is a helpful guide on wheat avoidance: Wheat avoidance

Cross contamination. At the early stages of your her diagnosis, she wants to avoid any contact of gluten to help heal. Find out about Kosher labeling. Meaning of Kosher Symbols or here

Call manufacturers. With the new allergy label law, you'll read "made in same facility that shares equipment with wheat...." Sometimes these companies are just putting this on their label as protection. Call the manufacturer to get into your comfort zone. At first I avoided all, now I just stay away from the main ingredient label.

And become friends with local health food stores. Almost every one that I visit in different areas now specialize in gluten free products, and usually have a section dedicated for these needs. And if hers doesn't carry the foods, start asking for them! There are new premade and quick to make foods. I just tried a cake mix (can't remember the brand) and was pleasantly pleased. And since she can have eggs and milk, things don't have to be dry and crumbly all the time!

I find there are some from scratch foods that aren't hard or much more time to make. If she ever made tacos or Sloppy Joes from a package, that's out, but just adding your own spices to meat mix isn't that huge a step.

Rachel Ray cookbooks might be very helpful for some quick, yummy ideas for 30 minute meals. That might be a compromise. Not all her foods contain wheat. Anything with pasta can be subsituted with rice pasta....

Some of my snacks were tortilla chips, salsa (read the label) are safe. Fruit, veggies. And many brands plain dark chocolate is free food. And wine. And Diet Coke. This list my snack foods and treats for a long time. She could add eggs and yogurt to the list.

Your friend will feel hungry, almost starving. Eating will become bittersweet, food is an enemy for a while. And resentment for all those parties or dinners that people serve nothing you can eat! Her social life will be harder, as she will have to think and ask before going anywhere. She needs to invest in some nice portable lunchboxes to bring food to places so she won't go hungry!

I'm glad your friend found help for her problems, but I'm praying for her during her transition.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 09 2007 at 9:29pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

excellent advice, jenn! i have to admit we didn't really go through the grieving process around here, so i'm a bit insensitive to it. hubby has such a great attitude, about everything. it's the littles that have a harder time of it, your post really has me thinking here and gives me new insight as to how my 8-yo is feeling, can you believe that, and i'm his mother.   

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

wahoo92
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Jan 10 2007 at 6:40am | IP Logged Quote wahoo92

Hi Ladies! These are such helpful thoughts and ideas. I know they will be well received. Thank you so much for your time.

We are in the Charlottesville area in Virginia (still sniffling over the loss of Lissa-you Southern Californians should consider yourself VERY fortunate to have her in your midst). No Trader Joe's that I know of (my husband does nearly all of the shopping), but quite a few local, high-end stores.

Please, keep the ideas coming-I know that she will eventually find some kind of support network, but these are the kinds of things that I thought would be comforting for her to hear now. This group is unbelievable!!

Sarah
mom of three girls-8,5, and 2
Back to Top View wahoo92's Profile Search for other posts by wahoo92

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 10 2007 at 8:04am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

stefoodie wrote:
excellent advice, jenn! i have to admit we didn't really go through the grieving process around here, so i'm a bit insensitive to it. hubby has such a great attitude, about everything. it's the littles that have a harder time of it, your post really has me thinking here and gives me new insight as to how my 8-yo is feeling, can you believe that, and i'm his mother.   

I'm glad it could help a little. My little guy is starting to not enjoy the difference. Oh, it's such an emotional journey, Stef! While Christ said we shouldn't worry about what to eat or what to wear, you have to worry about every morsel that you eat -- preplanning, reading labels, cooking all the time. You're made to be obsessed with food, even though it doesn't taste as good as you remember or would like it.

All family gatherings and celebrations are celebrated around food. Going out to restaurants is such a treat, and that's taken away. And it's not that the family or friends are doing things wrong by including food. It's universal...look at the Mass, the Heavenly Banquet, centered around the Eucharist -- our Bread of life!

So there was a lot of sorting out for me to not resent all the people living normal lives.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 10 2007 at 11:05am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Oh, the other thing I was thinking last night. While this is an educational time for your friend, finding out what she can and can't eat, it's good to dwell on the positive....and write things down.

Write down what you can eat, brand names.

Make meal plans and keep copies.

Write down recipes that work, make notes of things you like.

At least for me this helps. I need to see the positive -- think of what I can and like to eat. But when life become really stressful, I forget and get down. Sometimes I forget what I even make on a regular basis. I pull out the chicken and say "Blech! What can I DO with this?" My food blog reminds me of what has worked and what is yummy, and what have been the highlights.

Someone left me a comment on my food blog and I was delighted to find HER food blog with a few allergy free recipes, and worked out the kinks in my recipe!

I guess in a short way, tell your friend don't forget to dwell on the positive side of this situation!

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 10 2007 at 11:12am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Jenn, thanks so much for that link!!! I found it a while back and promptly lost it. So happy to have found it again. Will have to try those speculaas!

mom to five

kjohnson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 10 2007 at 12:10pm | IP Logged Quote kjohnson

It's interesting, Jenn, that you mentioned the Bread of Life. Our priest made an announcement a few weeks ago that he would be offering a chalice for anyone in the parish with Celiac Disease (apparently there are 2 in our parish).      I thought it was a very loving gesture.

Back to Top View kjohnson's Profile Search for other posts by kjohnson

Anneof 5
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 10 2007 at 1:02pm | IP Logged Quote Anneof 5

That has been my most difficult transition of all-what to do about the Eucharist. Very painful emotionally and spiritually for me. I continued to receive the host for several months but was still plagued with stomach problems. Finally I asked my priest and he said to receive from the cup instead as it contains the fullness of the Eucharist. That is easy enough to do at my parish where we have the cup at all Masses but not when I attend another parish. I am now taking the cup that all share and run the risk of cross contamination but have no outward symptoms from that. I have had people tell me Jesus would never hurt me and that I should continue to receive the host, but the sad fact is that the wheat will hurt me. You are so very blessed to have such a generous priest!
Anne

kjohnson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 10 2007 at 1:49pm | IP Logged Quote kjohnson

I wouldn't let other people talk me into receiving the Host if I was in your position either. Although the bread and wine are mystically changed by the Holy Spirit, the elements remain and those elements can make you very sick.

But I would definitely not worry about communing in the common cup. It's the Cup of Immortality and there are countless stories of the common spoon in the eastern churches being used during times of plague in which no one was infected through cross contamination.

God bless you as you carry this cross.   

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Jan 11 2007 at 12:55am | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Two of my dd's have a friend next door with Celiac Disease. Our families eat together rather often, so I am aware of some of the struggles to eat gluten-free.

This family tends to eat normal dinner foods, simply staying away from bread completely. So they eat a lot of chicken or beef, with vegetables, rice or potatoes. Mexican meals tend to work well, since corn tortillas are allowed.

I'll share two great dessert recipes that your friend's family might appreciate, since baked goodies tend to be a difficulty.

Gluten-Free Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
(We love these so much that we make them for ourselves, even though we don't have any gluten sensitivity here.)

1 cup brown sugar

1 cup peanut butter

2 eggs

1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon vanilla

3/4 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease cookie sheets. Blend brown sugar, peanut butter, and eggs. Mix in baking soda and vanilla with a spoon. Add chocolate chips. Bake at 350 degrees for 8-11 minutes.

Double Chocolate Fudge Cups
(These are great! Almost like brownies when made in mini-muffin cups.)

3 squares BAKER'S Semi-Sweet Baking Chocolate
1 Tbsp. canola oil
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
4 large egg whites
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar

PREHEAT oven to 350°F. Microwave chocolate and oil in glass measuring cup on HIGH 1 to 2 min. or until completely melted. Stir in cocoa powder; let stand at least 5 min.
BEAT egg whites and sugar in medium bowl with electric mixer on high speed 3 min. or until tripled in volume. Reduce speed to medium low; blend in melted chocolate mixture until well combined. Spoon batter into 6 paper-lined medium muffin cups. (Muffin cups can be almost full.)
BAKE 18 min. or until puffed and center is set. (Reduce cooking time if making in mini-muffin pans.) Remove from oven; let cool. (Or, eat warm with whipped cream on top.)

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Jan 11 2007 at 6:52am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Anneof 5 wrote:
That has been my most difficult transition of all-what to do about the Eucharist. Very painful emotionally and spiritually for me. I continued to receive the host for several months but was still plagued with stomach problems. Finally I asked my priest and he said to receive from the cup instead as it contains the fullness of the Eucharist. That is easy enough to do at my parish where we have the cup at all Masses but not when I attend another parish. I am now taking the cup that all share and run the risk of cross contamination but have no outward symptoms from that. I have had people tell me Jesus would never hurt me and that I should continue to receive the host, but the sad fact is that the wheat will hurt me. You are so very blessed to have such a generous priest!
Anne

I understand that what you mean here is not that you're worried about germs by that you're worried about bits of the host in the cup? Contamination from people who just ate wheat and are now drinking? Is that right?
I can tolerate a very little bit of wheat because I don't have celiac but even that little bit can be problematic for you, right?

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

kjohnson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 11 2007 at 7:45am | IP Logged Quote kjohnson

Elizabeth wrote:
I understand that what you mean here is not that you're worried about germs by that you're worried about bits of the host in the cup? Contamination from people who just ate wheat and are now drinking? Is that right? I can tolerate a very little bit of wheat because I don't have celiac but even that little bit can be problematic for you, right?

Oh, Anne, I totally misunderstood what you meant. Please forgive me. I had no idea that the bits of wheat was what you were referring to when you mentioned cross-contamination. I assumed germs. I'm now understanding more why you said our priest was so generous to have a single cup reserved for people with this disease.

Anneof 5
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 11 2007 at 1:23pm | IP Logged Quote Anneof 5

Yes, Elizabeth, you understood my concern about cross contamination. Katherine, don't worry, no offense taken. So far I haven't wanted to draw any extra attention to myself so I have not mentioned a separate cup to Father. I feel embarassed enough approaching the Eucharistic minister for a blessing and then proceeding to receive the cup from the next one. (That is what he told me to do and I respect him as a very holy priest.) But I do have concerns about the germs, also. I have had a really bad cold lately and don't know if I should approach the cup for fear of spreading what I have. Also, immune systems of those with Celiac are sometimes compromised. It is a really strange, exclusive experience to go to Mass and not participate in the Eucharist. I did attend a funeral Mass at another church after Christmas and did recieve the host and I had a lot of symptoms because of that.
I have really appreciated the discussion of this topic and ideas shared by so many. Thanks so much.
Anne

kjohnson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 11 2007 at 1:28pm | IP Logged Quote kjohnson

Anne, I really can't imagine how hard this is for you. I just want to let you know that you are in my prayers and I am confident that through this hardship, God will bring you closer to Him.

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Jan 11 2007 at 3:29pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

I have no experience with Celiac's but a good friend of mine and her son have it. I asked for suggestions and she said:

Brands that I really like are The Gluten-Free Pantry (I think almost all of their stuff is very good), Envirokids (only some of their products are GF), and Gluten Free Oats (website listed below).

There are many normal foods that are also GF. All fresh fruits and veggies, most dairy and meet products (but she will have to check the labels on all of these).

"Silly Yak" bakery a bakery in Madison WI
Cherry Brook Kitchen source of gluten-free food
Enjoy Life Foods source of gluten-free food
Gluten Free Drugs
Gluten Free Oats It's a small family farm
Gluten Solutions Great site to buy GF foods on-line
Gluten-Free Mall source of gluten-free foods
Kinnikinnick Foods Great on-line place to buy bread, cookies and donuts
Miss Roben's a.k.a AllergyGrocer Another wonderful on-line store for GF foods
Ruby Range Gluten Free Mixes Gluten free, low carb mixes using mesquite flour
Sherry's Health source of gluten-free foods

Celiac/Coeliac Wheat/Gluten-Free List A very good on-line support group
Celiac Disease On-Line Support Group Delphi Forums (Click "skip the advertisement")

--------
I hope that her info helps!

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version