Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Meals for new moms? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 10 2005 at 11:57pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

I saw Amie's request for ideas for freezer meals for when her baby is born. That reminds me of a question I have wanted to ask you all.

Could some of you share recipes for your favorite meals to bring to the mom of a new baby or families in crisis? I have a repertoire of a few meals that I bring, but I'd like some new ideas. The easier the better. Those that easily feed larger families would be especially welcome. Thanks so much!

Molly Smith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 11 2005 at 6:13am | IP Logged Quote Molly Smith

One of my favorites to bring is tacos. I usually do beef taco meat, mexi-rice and refried beans with cheese. Hard and soft shells. Shredded lettuce, diced tomato, diced onion and shredded cheddar in separate ziploc baggies. It's just a little different from the usual.

Here's another good one--it's good cold or warmed and it always is a big hit. I usually bring this in spring/summer with a fruit salad. Marinate a couple pounds of chicken in Newman's Own Oil & Vinegar dressing, then grill chicken. Cook a box of bow-tie pasta according to package directions, drain, run under cold water and set aside. Cut about two cups each of asparagus, sugar snap peas and carrots into roughly 1 - 1 1/2 " slices and blanch (asparagus and sugar snaps should take about 2 minutes each, carrots about 4 minutes). Drain and run under cold water to cool. Halve about 2 cups cherry tomates and toss all the veggies and pasta in enough Newman's Own Oil & Vinegar dressing to coat. Either put whole grilled chicken pieces on top, or slice or chunk it up and toss it in with the pasta and veggies. Of course you could sub the dressing I use for something "lite" or a different brand/flavor.

I'm in a rut, now, and those are the only two things I've brought to anyone in ages. However, they're so different from what people normally bring that they haven't gotten old yet . Kids almost always like the tacos, and they can easily pick out any veggies they don't like in the chicken pasta dish.

amiefriedl
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 11 2005 at 7:56am | IP Logged Quote amiefriedl

Tacos are such an awesome idea! I never thought of that! Meat/beans are easy to prepare, then just create a fresh 'salad bar' and deliver! I'm so glad you guys mentioned that.

Last weekend I did a huge pot of kid-friendly veg-hamburger soup. I made the broth dark and rich tasting and then used a hand blender to make those pesky onions, garlic and celery bits disappear. Then plopped in frozen grn bns/peas/carrots/corn mix with the simmered burger bits and seasoned. Have you ever tried a few pinches of Nutmeg in vegbf soup? It seems to make it very attractive for the kids. Blending a little more of the soup to make it a stew seems to help too.

Then I made a bunch of loaves of fresh whole wheat bread and delivered.

Tacos actually sound much more fun though, and more likely to please! And the honeybaked ham idea is very classy!

Back to Top View amiefriedl's Profile Search for other posts by amiefriedl Visit amiefriedl's Homepage

Cindy Mac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 11 2005 at 8:19am | IP Logged Quote Cindy Mac

I was going to ask Elizabeth for the recipe for that salad. It was absolutely delicious!

I make something called No Peek Chicken. Take 1 can each of cream of muchroom, cream of chicken and water and combine it with a package of Uncle Ben's Wild Rice (not the instant kind) and put it in bottom of baking dish. Top with raw chicken, and sprinkle chicken with onion soup mix. Cover with foil and stick in oven for 2.5 hours at 375. Don't peek! Chicken is so moist and rice isvery tasty.

Kellys Klassroom Korner
St. Anne's Academy
Back to Top View Cindy Mac's Profile Search for other posts by Cindy Mac Visit Cindy Mac's Homepage

tovlo4801
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 11 2005 at 8:44am | IP Logged Quote tovlo4801

We've just been bringing meals to my son's piano teacher's family, so it's a great topic for me right now. I have a couple meals that I tend to turn to, but I tried something different last week. I made an egg bake and some muffins. Breakfast for supper! Tonight I'm bringing one of my standards. I get a big long loaf of french bread. I split it open and spread a mixture of oil and parmesean cheese on the bottom. Then I layer ham and provolone cheese, close it up, cut the loaf into individual size pieces and wrap it up in tin foil. They can either eat it cold or warm it in the oven for melty cheese. I'm just sending it along with carrots, dip, chips and a fruit salad. My other standard is swiss steak with brown rice, a salad and some sort of dessert.
Back to Top View tovlo4801's Profile Search for other posts by tovlo4801

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 11 2005 at 8:45am | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

After Carter was born a friend brought me a big deli platter and said, "Everyone brings dinner, here is lunch!" It was great!!! So much nicer than pb&j .
I delivered french dip sandwiches, rolls. tater tots, green salad, and a fruit salad earlier this week to a friend.
I am new at taking meals so I like the ideas being shared here.   

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: May 11 2005 at 10:40am | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Molly Smith wrote:
One of my favorites to bring is tacos. I usually do beef taco meat, mexi-rice and refried beans with cheese. Hard and soft shells. Shredded lettuce, diced tomato, diced onion and shredded cheddar in separate ziploc baggies. It's just a little different from the usual.

Tacos are one of my favorite meals to bring too. I made soft chicken tacos for a household of priests for dinner a few days ago. My kids love this chicken so much that they eat the leftovers alone in a bowl, like stew.

I put Costco frozen chicken breasts in the crockpot along with taco seasoning and some water. About 3/4 of the way through cooking, I shred the chicken with two forks. It's that easy. I usually send it along with flour tortillas, lettuce, shredded cheese, tomatoes, salsa, and sour cream. This week I also sent a bag of frozen corn and a fruit salad to go with it. Sometimes I make cornbread also.

mary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 11 2005 at 11:25am | IP Logged Quote mary

I have brought breakfast in a crockpot - a breakfast casserole that just needs turning on the evening before. My favorite meal to bring is a minestrone soup, loaf of bread and some ice cream.
Back to Top View mary's Profile Search for other posts by mary

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: May 11 2005 at 12:37pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Breakfast in a crockpot? Please post that recipe!

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 11 2005 at 12:42pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

These ideas are great!! I plan to eat some of them myself    I needed some ideas since one of the young moms in this area is on total bed rest, expecting twins and has 2 young children. She is sensitive to tomatoes so I was trying to think of things other than pasta dishes.

I have received a frozen crock-pot meal. The instructions were to thaw, add to pot, cook 8-10 hours and add rice the last hour. It was Sweet and Sour Pork made with a pork loin. We loved it.

I've also taken Sweet and Sour Meatballs with Cooked Rice, Beef Stroganoff with Cooked Noodles and frozen peas, etc.

I've taken along jello or pudding in individual plastic cups for the whole family and individual serving orange or apple juice bottles for the nursing mom. Gotta go help with math!

Come Holy Spirit!!

mary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 11 2005 at 4:14pm | IP Logged Quote mary

these are the breakfast crockpot recipes I have tried. I got them from: http://www.seedsofknowledge.com/brunch2.html
I omit some ingredients for bfing moms.

Crockpot Western Omelet Casserole
1 bag (32 oz.) frozen hash brown potatoes
1 lb. of bacon diced, cooked and drained
OR
1 lb. cooked ham, cubed
1 med. diced onion
1 green bell pepper diced
1 ½ C shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
1 dozen eggs
1 C milk
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper (more or less to taste)
Serves 12
Place a layer of frozen potatoes on the bottom of the slow cooker, followed by a layer of bacon then onions, green pepper and cheese. Repeat the layering process two or three more times, ending with a layer of cheese.

Beat the eggs, milk and salt & pepper together. Pour over the Crockpot mixture, cover and turn on low. Cook for 10-12 hours.

Crockpot Sausage & Egg Casserole
1 dozen beaten eggs
14 slices of bread
2 1/4 C milk (lowfat or skim is OK)
2 1/2 C grated cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
1 lb. sausage, cooked and drained
½ tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper (more or less to taste)
2 tsp. mustard, optional
Grease the sides of the crock with butter.
If desired, spread mustard on one side of the bread and cut bread into large squares. Make layers in the Crockpot of bread, followed by sausage, followed by cheese, ending with a cheese layer. Beat eggs, milk, salt and pepper together. Pour over Crockpot mixture, cover and turn on low. Cook for 8-12 hours.

Southwestern Style Sausage,
Egg & Cheese Breakfast Casserole
18 eggs
1 small can green Ortega chilis
1 lb. cooked breakfast sausage
2 ½ C grated Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack cheese
1 med. onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 tsp. butter
Grease crock with butter. Starting with sausage, layer meat, chilis, onions, peppers and cheese, repeating the layering process until all ingredients are used and ending with a layer of cheese. Beat eggs, then pour over mixture in the slow cooker. Cover and turn on low. Cook for 7-8 hours.
Serve with sour cream or fresh salsa.

Deluxe Crockpot Oatmeal
2 C milk
1/4 C brown sugar
1 T butter, melted
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 C quick cooking oats
1 C finely chopped apple
1/2 C raisins and/or dates
1/2 C chopped walnuts or almonds
Makes 4 Cups (6-8 servings)
Grease the inside of Crockpot. Put ingredients inside Crockpot and mix well. Cover and turn on low heat. Cook overnight or 8-9 hours. Stir before serving.

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: May 11 2005 at 11:51pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Mary, Those crockpot breakfasts look delicious! I look forward to trying them. I think they would be especially helpful on holiday mornings, like at Christmas or Easter.

Molly Smith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 12 2005 at 5:12am | IP Logged Quote Molly Smith

teachingmom wrote:
Mary, Those crockpot breakfasts look delicious! I look forward to trying them. I think they would be especially helpful on holiday mornings, like at Christmas or Easter.

I'll second that! Thanks for the recipes, Mary. I've never even considered breakfast in the crockpot, but these look great.

mary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 12 2005 at 7:46am | IP Logged Quote mary

teachingmom wrote:
I think they would be especially helpful on holiday mornings, like at Christmas or Easter.

Now THAT is a great idea!

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 26 2005 at 3:19pm | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

Ham and Cheese Bake

Mix together:
2 lbs. frozen cubed hashbrowns
1 1/2 cups Alfredo sauce
2 T butter/margarine
16 oz. sour cream
2 cups cooked cubed ham- I shred lunchmeat
1/2 t pepper
1/3 chopped green onion-can skip if don't have
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Topping:
2 cups crushed corn flakes
1/4 cup melted butter/margarine

Bake@350 for 1 hour
serves 6-8

We have had so many babies born in the last 2 months in our homeschooling group. I make this and bring fruit, bread and cookies. It is easy, and people say their kids will eat it. I make it often and freeze it for us. I took the recipe from a freezer cooking book. I make it and put it in a ziploc bag for storage.

I am thrilled to get new crockpot recipes!!! Yeah!!

Marybeth
Back to Top View Marybeth's Profile Search for other posts by Marybeth

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 26 2005 at 10:05pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Great ideas, friends.

Lately, I've been bringing The Best Ever Chicken Salad with whole grain bread, fruit salad, carrots, corn chips, and sparkling lemonade. For the chicken salad, you can double the recipe using a whole roasted chicken from the market which also gives extra flavor.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 26 2005 at 10:13pm | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

Angie,

You need to be getting the dinners since your baby isn't even a month old!

Love his name!! Have fun cuddling him! I miss those days. My little guy always runs away yelling, "I wiped the kisses!!" He loves to tease me.

Marybeth
Back to Top View Marybeth's Profile Search for other posts by Marybeth

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: May 26 2005 at 11:57pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Angie Mc wrote:
Lately, I've been bringing The Best Ever Chicken Salad with whole grain bread, fruit salad, carrots, corn chips, and sparkling lemonade.

Hi Angie,
I have some questions for you about this recipe. Is creamy salad dressing the same as mayonnaise? Or does it mean something like Ranch or Caesar salad dressing?

Also, what is cole slaw dressing? Is that something they sell in a bottle in the salad dressing section?

And finally, I have never heard of sparkling lemonade. Can you elaborate on that too?

Thanks. And I wish I lived near enough to bring you a meal while you enjoy little John Paul.

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 27 2005 at 11:00am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Marybeth wrote:
Angie,

You need to be getting the dinners since your baby isn't even a month old!

Love his name!! Have fun cuddling him! I miss those days. My little guy always runs away yelling, "I wiped the kisses!!" He loves to tease me.

Marybeth

Too funny about the kisses, MacBeth! Thanks for all your well wishes.

And....no worries about me and food, LOL! All the meals I gave were given BEFORE I had John Paul and turned into meals FOR me from the same folks AFTER the birth (looks selfish when I put it THAT way!)

This is a thoughtful thread to help us think of unique and various meals to bring a new mom. Here in AZ, chicken and rice is popular (received three times.) Back in NE PA, lasagna or zita were most popular .

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 27 2005 at 11:09am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

teachingmom wrote:
   Hi Angie,
I have some questions for you about this recipe. Is creamy salad dressing the same as mayonnaise? Or does it mean something like Ranch or Caesar salad dressing?

Also, what is cole slaw dressing? Is that something they sell in a bottle in the salad dressing section?

And finally, I have never heard of sparkling lemonade. Can you elaborate on that too?

Thanks. And I wish I lived near enough to bring you a meal while you enjoy little John Paul.

Hey Irene,

I had the same questions when I first ran across this recipe. I believe that creamy salad dressing is Miracle Whip but we choose to use mayonaise.

For the cole slaw dressing, we purchased Marie's brand found in the refrigerator section with the other Marie's salad dressings.

I've pick up Santa Cruz Sparkling Lemonade in bulk at Costco. You could try Sam's Club back east or a natural foods retailer.

I would be happy to accept a meal from you, Irene, especially your soft chicken tacos! (BTW, thanks for sharing this recipe a while back...we enjoyed it all winter.)

Love,

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version