Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Russia Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Robin
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 10 2005 at 10:56pm | IP Logged Quote Robin

I've decided we're going to jump with both feet into a study of Russia. I need recommendations for picture books, videos, music, historical fiction, icons, saints.
You name it, I want it

(Ages 4, 10, and 11)

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 11 2005 at 12:14am | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Music: "Tchaikovsky Discovers America" story/music cd by Classical Kids; "Night on Bald Mountain" by Rimsky-Korsakov---there's a cartoon segment on the "Fantasia I" movie put to this music, it's a little scary, but Good Triumphs Over Evil!; Ballet stories and music from "Giselle" and "Swan Lake"...check out the DK "Illustrated Book of Ballet Stories" book and cd, very nice; of course, "Peter and the Wolf", many versions available;

Books: "The Endless Steppe" by Esther Hautzig ; "Babouschka" by Tomie de Paulo; "Michael Strogoff" by Jules Verne;and what IS the name of that picture book about a Russian church at Christmas, I think it's published by Ignatius or Bethlehem books, but it's very sweet. Grrr. I'll think of it..."The Miracle of St. Nicholas" maybe? Also, the picture book "Brother Joseph, Painter of Icons" (I think).

Movies: "Fiddler on the Roof"

Also, check out the website for the St. Nicholas Center. Lots of good info/songs/goodies you can order about St. Nicholas, THE saint of choice in Russia.

Seton has a booklet on Icons that looks interesting, maybe too old for your children, but it might provide some interesting info.

Lastly, don't we have a Mom on this loop, Katie, who lives in Georgia, part of former USSR???? I bet she has some great insight!

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 11 2005 at 7:05am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Robin:

My dh and I are in the process of watching a set of DVDs put out by History Channel -- Russia: Land of the Tsars.

This is great -- 4 hours of overview starting from the beginning of the Russe Vikings through Nicholas then 2 hours of specifics on Ivan, Peter and Rasputin. Not for the littles, but older kids would probably enjoy it. It can get a bit graphic (after all the Russians did alot of killing of their own!).....

I got it at the library.

Blessings

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 11 2005 at 10:44am | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Hi Robin!

I am really exploring Russia right now, myself...It started with a new love for the Eastern Rite Catholic churches (see Eastern Rite Catholicism thread!!) and lately I have been reading some of Catherine Doherty's works. She was a Russian who immigrated to America in the 1920's (to escape the Communists) and she is a wonderful spiritual mystic and writer. She wrote one book that Jenn M. recommended. It's called My Russian Yesterdays . This is a beautiful book about the spiritual life of the everyday Russian, before Communism, written in an informal, engaging manner. You could read it yourself, first, and then share parts with the kids..

To study some of Russia's iconographers is a must...Andrei Rublev comes to mind. I just ordered the film, by Andrei Tarkovsky, simply titled, Andrei Rublev It is on the Vatican's Top 10 Greatest Movies of All Time List.

Also, Michael O'Brien's latest novel has tons of Russian references..It's called Sophia House and I am half-way through it and totally immersed in it...He has a play right in the middle of it on Andrei Rublev (that's how I got going on that rabbit trail!) Also, on a tangent, O'Brien was an iconographer himself for seven years!!

Here's a history site on Russia for kids...I haven't looked at it closely, yet...

I know most of this is geared for adults/older kids, but just wanted to share...

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: May 11 2005 at 11:14am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

How about some folks tales? WHile Arthur Ransome was on assignment in revolutionary Russia, he translated some folks tales:

Favorite Russian Fairy Tales
The Fool of the World and the Flying Ship
The Firebird

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

Robin
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 11 2005 at 1:32pm | IP Logged Quote Robin

Kelly wrote:
Music: "Tchaikovsky Discovers America"

The Music Masters cd on Tchaikovsky is what got us interested...

Kelly wrote:
Lastly, don't we have a Mom on this loop, Katie, who lives in Georgia, part of former USSR???? I bet she has some great insight!

Katie are you out there? I'd love to have a simple child's history of Russia... Something like Hillyer or HE Marshall.

Robin
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 11 2005 at 1:38pm | IP Logged Quote Robin

jdostalik wrote:
I am really exploring Russia right now, myself...It started with a new love for the Eastern Rite Catholic churches (see Eastern Rite Catholicism thread!!) and lately I have been reading some of Catherine Doherty's works. She was a Russian who immigrated to America in the 1920's (to escape the Communists) and she is a wonderful spiritual mystic and writer. She wrote one book that Jenn M. recommended. It's called My Russian Yesterdays . This is a beautiful book about the spiritual life of the everyday Russian, before Communism, written in an informal, engaging manner. You could read it yourself, first, and then share parts with the kids..

I love the Eastern Rite too! Although I've never been able to attend a liturgy.    I had followed the thread with relish and I think you've convinced me to get Catherine Doherty's book. Thanks so much!

Victoria in AZ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 11 2005 at 2:22pm | IP Logged Quote Victoria in AZ

jdostalik wrote:
To study some of Russia's iconographers is a must...Andrei Rublev comes to mind. I just ordered the film, by Andrei Tarkovsky,

Also, Michael O'Brien's latest novel has tons of Russian references..It's called Sophia House and I am half-way through it and totally immersed in it...He has a play right in the middle of it on Andrei Rublev (that's how I got going on that rabbit trail!) Also, on a tangent, O'Brien was an iconographer himself for seven years!!

Great stuff to know about Michael O'Brien. Thanks!

Recently watched Andrei Rublev myself and wanted to add that this is not a movie for kids. Of course it's violent when barbarians are taking over. There are scenes with nudity involving a pagan festival. It was also too slow moving for my teenage son. Absolutely worthwhile for adults though. I plan to watch it again with the director's commentary turned on.

Back to Top View Victoria in AZ's Profile Search for other posts by Victoria in AZ

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 11 2005 at 2:35pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

jdostalik wrote:
She wrote one book that Jenn M. recommended. It's called My Russian Yesterdays . This is a beautiful book about the spiritual life of the everyday Russian, before Communism, written in an informal, engaging manner. You could read it yourself, first, and then share parts with the kids..

Took the words out of my mouth. It's a book with lasting impressions. Then after sharing some of the info to the kids, you can incorporate some of the foods and traditions mentioned, such as the Easter breads, and Russian embroidery and textiles. I think I can dig up a few titles.

A series I grew up with, that many libraries may still have is called "Folklore of the World" by Edward Dolch. Stories from Old Russia was one of my favorites. I found a few copies on bookfinder.com, and I've found some at library sales and eBay. These books are full of folktales from different lands, with great illustrations. It's another series that has left a lasting impression on me and all my siblings, (I first read in 3rd grade).

My husband studied a book in college by Hedrick Smith called The Russians. Written in the 1970s, it's a very comprehensive study of the life of Russia during Communism, but also a great comparison of what America was at the time. Obviously this is an adult book, but there's some great information about the people, personality and architecture, geography and traditions that may help you track down some other material. I haven't finished the book, I read it in snatches, and so I can say, you really can only read parts and not lose too much. It's readily available as a cheap paperback in used bookstores. I haven't read his followup book called The New Russians.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 11 2005 at 4:44pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Jenn, you read my mind about "The Russians" by Hedrick Smith! Good read for Mom. I haven't read "The New Russians" yet, either (another one for the list, along with "Sophia House" and "My Russian Yesterdays". Ah, so many books, so little time! I was up until 4:00 last night reading Wm. THomas Walsh's book, "Philip II", Louv's "Last Child in the Woods" (see Science thread) and "Surviving the Applewhites" (see Unschooling...or did we discuss it there? Hmmmm) AND listening to a new cd I'm zipping over to Rabbit Trails to list. Just not enough hours in the day! But I digress...)

Back to Russia, though. Another idea is to listen to the music of "The Firebird" by Stravinsky, and learn about Stravinsky, as well, an interesting "bird" in his own right. There is also a nice cartoon segment on Firebird on the Fantasia II film. There are also videos of the ballet available. You could do that in conjunction with reading the fairy tale, that would be fun.
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 11 2005 at 8:33pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Mary G. wrote:
Robin:

My dh and I are in the process of watching a set of DVDs put out by History Channel -- Russia: Land of the Tsars.

This is great -- 4 hours of overview starting from the beginning of the Russe Vikings through Nicholas then 2 hours of specifics on Ivan, Peter and Rasputin. Not for the littles, but older kids would probably enjoy it. It can get a bit graphic (after all the Russians did alot of killing of their own!).....

I got it at the library.

Blessings

Just wanted to amend my suggestion as quoted above. We just watched the part about Catherine the Great and it's very graphic about her affairs and the blood-letting gets to you after a while. It would be a great "adult background"video for mom and dad, but I don't think I'd let my non-teens watch it...it's definitely pretty graphic and doesn't skate past the murders, assassinations and other killings occuring throughout Russia's history.

Sorry for misleading you at first

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 13 2005 at 11:32pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Picture books

The Wolfhound
Sasha's Matrioshka Dolls
Philipok
A Symphony of Whales

All would have good subjects to follow in rabbit-trails. More info about these books on the thread about looking for suggestions for picture books of other countries/cultures.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Robin
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 14 2005 at 2:28pm | IP Logged Quote Robin

Thanks so very much to all who replied!

In looking for music, besides classical, I'm having a hard time finding what I want. I'd like a good cd of Russian dancing music (if that's what you call it). You know the kind that they played on "Fiddler on the Roof" when the Russians and the Jewish men get together and dance and every so often they yell "HEY!". Or is that only one song of its kind? I haven't found much of anything... It seems Russian music is not very popular, but I like the little that I've heard.

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 14 2005 at 8:05pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Robin wrote:
You know the kind that they played on "Fiddler on the Roof" when the Russians and the Jewish men get together and dance and every so often they yell "HEY!". Or is that only one song of its kind? I haven't found much of anything... It seems Russian music is not very popular, but I like the little that I've heard.

Wasn't there something called "Zorba the Greek" that came out around the same time as Fiddler? I can remember dancing around to the music with my sister who was 16 or 17 and I was 11 or so....doing the "opa!" every so often. We even have old 16mm family movies of us doing the dance for my mom's birthday -- great blackmail material!

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 14 2005 at 11:32pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Robin,
I can't recommend specific titles because I'm not familiar with Russian music per se but I do have a site for music that might have what you are looking for. Smithsonian Folkways Recordings is the non-profit record label of the Smithsonian Insititute that is dedicated to preserving folk and cultural music from around the world. I stumbled on them when I was looking for a copy of an old album my parents had of "Christmas in Poland" - it was produced by Monitor Records about 40 years ago (and we had never been able to find other copies of this album after I left home and wanted a copy). The Monitor Record label was founded in the early 1950's and specialized in music from behind the Iron Curtain to fill a gap they perceived in the music available to the American public--music from the then-Soviet Union and Eastern Bloc.

Several years ago, Monitor Records was purchased by Smithsonian Folkways so that this treasury of music would still be available to the public. They have the masters of these recordings and can reproduce them on tape or CD. I thought the prices were reasonable. We ended up ordering the Christmas in Poland one as well as a Portuguese Christmas one and found that the quality is very good. I think Folkways (and particuarly Monitor Record label) is a treasure trove of music from around the world.

If you search "Russia" on the site you come up with 8 pages of recordings - many have sound clips. I listened to several and wondered if any of these might have what you are looking for (see below)- these are dance or folk music. The site also had recordings of Russian liturgical music and chant.
Sample 1
Sample 2
Sample 3
Sample 4

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 15 2005 at 8:38pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Wow, Mary, what a great recommendation! I can't wait to find a chunk of time to explore and listen.

Okay, you might laugh at my next suggestions. This may be a Rabbit Trail of sorts. Robin's question for music as illustrated by Fiddler on the Roof is actually two-pronged, because there are two types of cultures illustrated, the Russian Jew and the Russian Orthodox. The Jews had their own culture, including music and even language. The Bottle Dance from the wedding is an example of the Russian Jew music. The L'Chaim (To Life) dance is more of the Russian Orthodox influence.

One day while listening to Public Radio, I heard about this Yiddish Radio Project, retrieving old radio broadcasts from the 1930s to 50s. I was just fascinated...I never made the connection that the Jews are not just a religion, but a race even with their own language. I just hadn't put two and two together.

Definition of Yiddish: A language based on medieval Rhineland German used by Jews in eastern, northern, and central Europe and in areas to which Jews from these regions migrated. It also contains elements of Hebrew, Russian, and Polish, and it is commonly written in Hebrew characters.

This radio link gives a little culture, including music, of Jewish immigrants in America, as they made their mark, but keeping their culture. How wonderful to have a common language that even when leaving one's homeland you can find a commonality in a strange country.

Little more on Yiddish.

This is all probably just common knowledge to others, but I found this extremely interesting to see in real life the differences of cultures, even though from the same country, as marked through Fiddler on the Roof. And then to see the Yiddish influence on our language and culture.

Common Yiddish Words found in English

Yiddish in America

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 16 2005 at 10:14am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

How about Havana Nagila? Not exactly Russian, but Jewish!

Koshner Nosh plays this as the background. Turn up your speakers and dance!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version