Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: There's Alice...then there's me Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 08 2007 at 6:16pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

Although the majority of my boys are small, I think the secret to engaging boys in crafts and teas is to include lasers and appropriate sound effects. Or maybe swords. Because every important social occasion can be improved by impromptu swordplay, as everyone knows.

--Angela
Three Plus Two
Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 08 2007 at 6:21pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Angel wrote:
Although the majority of my boys are small, I think the secret to engaging boys in crafts and teas is to include lasers and appropriate sound effects. Or maybe swords. Because every important social occasion can be improved by impromptu swordplay, as everyone knows.

--Angela
Three Plus Two

Fire (as in candles) is big too.

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

MichelleW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 08 2007 at 6:27pm | IP Logged Quote MichelleW

I think the key is knowing your faith, knowing your children and enabling the connection of the two. Alice does that so well, and that is what I appreciate about you, Alice.

When I see the wonderful things going on at The Cottage, I don't think that I need to re-create that exact celebration in order to capture the atmosphere of living faith in my home. Instead, I am encouraged to think about how I can make this celebration real in MY family with all the personalities and interests represented in MY home.

In many ways, I think that the times of greatest IMperfection will be just as cherished (if not more) by our children. It is in those times that we are real to them, and I think that makes a lot of difference to young adults.

I don't believe that Alice has never had an idea flop or that Cay has never had an idea soar. I do believe that God has blessed your children with the mother they needed to grow into the people they will become. WE are all incredibly blessed by you both (and the other wonderful moms on this board)

Ok, I don't know why I was feeling all preachy, but it's over now. I have the flu and couldn't start school today, so it must be the frustrated lecturer within me. Carry on...

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 08 2007 at 6:45pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

MichelleW wrote:

When I see the wonderful things going on at The Cottage, I don't think that I need to re-create that exact celebration in order to capture the atmosphere of living faith in my home. Instead, I am encouraged to think about how I can make this celebration real in MY family with all the personalities and interests represented in MY home.

Exactly and well put. We make all these great ideas have work in different style based on who we are.

On a different note, as we're mentioning thise that make a hit for boys. We stabbed "devils food" cupcakes on the feast of St, Michael. Stabbing and (butter) knives were a hit!

That was so funny what was listed above. . .fire, swords, lasers, sound effects. . .I died laughing because it is so true!

Now add dirt or some sort of big mess and they're set!!

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

MichelleW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 08 2007 at 8:00pm | IP Logged Quote MichelleW

When we did Noah we buried a hose in dirt and the kids built a whole town with roads, etc above it. When it was time for the rains to come we turned the sprinkler on for "it rained from above" and turned on the hose that was buried for "the waters from the deep." That town was totally demolished in seconds, the kids were covered in mud and they had so much FUN!

Last year, for Pentecost, I baked a Pentecost cake and frosted it. Then Dominick thought of the apostles and the tongues of fire. He added his Lego men and little Lego flames attached to their little heads to the cake. It made it so special (and hysterical).

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 08 2007 at 11:34pm | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

Lissa wrote:
We had Erica's gang over for Epiphany cupcakes. I was laughing so hard, later, to think how chaotic and disorganized I was about the whole thing. When I frosted the cupcakes, I got so many crumbs in the icing it looked like cookies-and-cream instead of vanilla. And I couldn't even blame it on the kids!

Then the poor Sanchez clan was barely in the door before my girls were thrusting cupcakes before their faces, and I think most of the kids had decorated and eaten half before we got around to singing (we never did pray), and it wasn't until halfway through the song that I remembered I'd meant to have the 3 Wise Men from our nativity join us at the table! So I'm singing off key and plopping Magi on the table and Eileen has a mouth full of cupcake. How's that for holy and reverent?

It was fun, though!

ROTFLOL

It was GREAT fun! Thanks to you, Lissa, we actually did something for Epiphany and I swear the above scene is not how we experienced it. It was lovely and yummy and your singing was definitely NOT off key. It is a wee bit funny that we have mostly girls! :)

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 08 2007 at 11:36pm | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

ROTFLOL again!    Swords, fire, dirt....I'm dying this is so funny!!!

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version