Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Cloth Napkins? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 5:58am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

I bought some yesterday, they were $1 each. They are in the wash right now and we will start this adventure tomorrow! Thanks for all of the great ideas!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

mary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 6:32am | IP Logged Quote mary

we use cloth napkins - i have some from land's end, but they need replacing. i'd like to get a stash of restaurant type napkins. anyone know where i can find these?
Back to Top View mary's Profile Search for other posts by mary

Genevieve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 14 2007 at 10:29am | IP Logged Quote Genevieve

I was wondering how you ladies keep your napkins and tablecloth clean. I'm interested in using tablecloths for dinner but worry about tomato stains and whatnots. I read somewhere about using Scotch guard. Or do you ladies use a lot of Spray and Wash and Oxy-clean?

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 14 2007 at 10:38am | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

I use dark fabrics
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

ElizLeone
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 14 2007 at 11:22am | IP Logged Quote ElizLeone

Genevieve wrote:
I was wondering how you ladies keep your napkins and tablecloth clean.

I was wondering this too. When I use tablecloths, I feel like I'm doing laundry (tablecloths) every day -- or sometimes after every meal! Do all of you have neater kids than I and just keep them on your tables for a while? Or are you constantly washing them?

Munchkins on the Path
Our Adoption
Back to Top View ElizLeone's Profile Search for other posts by ElizLeone Visit ElizLeone's Homepage

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 14 2007 at 11:34am | IP Logged Quote Betsy

mary wrote:
we use cloth napkins - i have some from land's end, but they need replacing. i'd like to get a stash of restaurant type napkins. anyone know where i can find these?

I had purchased some from ebay...I thought they were exactly what I wanted, but they were a polyester blend. They didn't soak anything up and didn't really work like intended. They did also have some 100% cotton but I got talked out of it because they required labor intensive starch and ironing...and I think they might have been coated to prevent stains. I am sure I would have had the same problem with these too!

Now that I have moved and these napkins have disappeared I am going to go with a more terry cloth napkin...don't know if I will make them or buy yet?!?!

For what ever that is worth....

Betsy
Back to Top View Betsy's Profile Search for other posts by Betsy

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 14 2007 at 12:05pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

After having read this thread, I think I am going to get a stash of those terrycloth dishtowel sized rags from Sams. I'll be buying diapers and wipes there again soon enough....

We use a ton of papertowels (mostly because they make GREAT "plates" when I don't want to do yet another plate (*I* am the dishwasher. And I dislike doing yet another load so that someone can eat some crackers or something).

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

vmalott
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 14 2007 at 1:01pm | IP Logged Quote vmalott

We've been using cloth napkins ever since we got married, I think. DH grew up using them; our family only used them when we had a special dinner which required the china to come out and be used. Needless to say, my dear mom thinks I'm nuts to use cloth napkins. I think that's mostly because she has the memories of having to launder, press, and fold them the 'right' way. I DO NOT IRON. The most recent bunch of napkins I got on sale at Target are really nice, big, and don't wrinkle badly at all. I like the idea of the napkin rings...will have to really consider that one.

For the tablecloth, if it's messy, I usually take it off and shake it out over the deck into the backyard. Then, I am known to turn it over to the other side to get some more mileage before washing it again. Then, I usually go a few days with a 'naked' table before the tablecloth is washed and put back on the table. I know, I should get another one to rotate with, just don't think about it until I'm back home from shopping or the cloth is waiting to be washed again! I just HATE scrubbing down the table. The varnish has started to come off, so it gets sticky and looks dirty regardless what I do...so the tablecloth is a great coverup for that.

Dark fabrics are fantastic for getting the most mileage. I have a great burgundy damask-looking one, so there's a pattern on both sides that look pretty much the same.

Oh...and I recyled our old one with the small bleach spot on it and recovered our nasty stained seats.

And did you know that a large tablecloth doubles nicely as an inexpensive Christmas tree skirt??? Yep. $10 gold tablecloth at Target vs. the special $50 satin one...looks just as 'rich.' So proud of myself for that discovery, can't you tell?

When I was a child, I used to make fun of my mom when she would get excited about sheets, curtains, and tableclothes. Shame on me...

Valerie

Back to Top View vmalott's Profile Search for other posts by vmalott Visit vmalott's Homepage

Sherry
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Feb 14 2007 at 1:29pm | IP Logged Quote Sherry

We got tired of scrubbing (and polishing) our table, too, so we bought a length of clear plastic that is sold in the craft area at Walmart, laid in on so that it would wrap underneat the sides, and secured it with staples. Now our 96" long table is fuss-free--if the plastic gets messed up, we just replace it--and it stays shiny and wipes off with Windex.

I'm going to put some cheap washcloths on my list for use as napkins!
Back to Top View Sherry's Profile Search for other posts by Sherry

ElizLeone
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 14 2007 at 2:01pm | IP Logged Quote ElizLeone

Thanks, Valerie. I like the shake and flip idea. I'll have to do that more often.

For all the milk spills though, I guess we'll still be resorting to the washing machine.

Munchkins on the Path
Our Adoption
Back to Top View ElizLeone's Profile Search for other posts by ElizLeone Visit ElizLeone's Homepage

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 15 2007 at 5:06am | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

The plastic Sherry mentioned does a real nice job of protecting cloth tablecloths if you have little spillers! I've seen tips for putting maps, educational placemats, artwork or holy cards between the tablecloth and the plastic topper to add a new dimension to real learning.

An idea for cloth napkins....colorful bandanas! They can also double as impromptu bibs, esepcially if you have children who feel too old for a "baby bib", but are still needing to protect their clothing from inevitable dribbles. If the bandana is a bit too small make a connector by attaching two binder clips ro a length of string and attaching them to the bandana much like the cute little bibs we all love to wear at the dentist's!

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2007 at 6:40pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

SuzanneG has a cute post about her seasonal switch of her cloth napkins on her blog!

here

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2007 at 11:16pm | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

Servant2theKing wrote:

An idea for cloth napkins....colorful bandanas!

We use these for napkins and "paper" plates as well. I get them at Hobby Lobby when they are half off...it makes them about .40 a piece. Whenever I can I pick up plain colored ones that the kids can decorate with fabric markers. These make for fun favors if you have a special guest for lunch or tea as well. We have made napkin rings out of toilet paper tubes for holidays or themed dinners before but right now, I just roll the bandanas in a basket and whoever sets the tabl put s it in the middle and puts a rolled "napkin" at each place. Works for us!
Colleen in Louisiana
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

Joann in AL
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: April 25 2007 at 9:41am | IP Logged Quote Joann in AL

We use cloth napkins, too. We made about 3 dozen in a couple of nice cotton-y, dark plaids. They go with everything, even the gold tablecloth.
It is one of the things that makes my children think we are not poor. LOL You know how you hear old folks say, "Looking back we were so poor, but we never knew it..."? Well, my kids don't know that we use the cloth napkins so that we don't have to buy the paper ones. LOL
Ditto with tablecloths. I have to do laundry anyway. Throwing a few napkins or a tablecloth in with the regular loads doesn't add any extra laundry.

asplendidtime
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 25 2007 at 2:23pm | IP Logged Quote asplendidtime

We use Cowboy-type bandanas, navy for boys and violet for girls!

Our dc tie them on and look cute. Maybe when they are older we'll go to something a little "nicer"...

Mary 14,
Tim 13,
Jonah 12,
Josh 10,
Zoe 9,
Will 7,
Peter 6,
Laura-Mae 4,
Emily-Joy 2,
Genevieve & Gabriella 1
Back to Top View asplendidtime's Profile Search for other posts by asplendidtime Visit asplendidtime's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version