Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Activity-Feast of the Baptism of Our Lord Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
kjohnson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 07 2007 at 5:41pm | IP Logged Quote kjohnson

I decided to post this outside of the thread regarding the dating of the feast of the Baptism of Jesus. In honor of tomorrow's feast, I have posted a detailed explanation of the Icon of the Baptism of Jesus and offered a download of a coloring page of the Icon for the kids to use tomorrow.

Here it is.

Blessed feast!

Back to Top View kjohnson's Profile Search for other posts by kjohnson

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 07 2007 at 5:44pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Thank you, Katherine! I am just planning out our day tomorrow and the coloring page will be a great activity. Thanks for sharing it!

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

rm4mrfrus
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 07 2007 at 5:54pm | IP Logged Quote rm4mrfrus

Katherine, this is great!! I just printed off copies for us too! Thank you so much for all the work!

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 07 2007 at 11:52pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Another activity or decoration idea here. When Jennifer posted her nautical Advent wreath pictures earlier it struck me as a great wreath to use again for this feast since it includes the beautiful shells, symbols of baptism. Gather up those shells you have around the house and use them as a centerpiece with some candles for this feast day. I am going to see if I can manage to find each of the children's baptismal candles by tomorrow night (oh, if only everything was in one place - need some organization here!). Since I happen to have 4 children it's the perfect number to actually put them in the Advent wreath holder with shells scattered around.

And thanks for the coloring page icon, Katherine!

ETA: picture

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 08 2007 at 12:16am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

MaryM wrote:
Another activity or decoration idea here. When Jennifer posted her nautical Advent wreath pictures earlier it struck me as a great wreath to use again for this feast since it includes the beautiful shells, symbols of baptism. Gather up those shells you have around the house and use them as a centerpiece with some candles for this feast day. I am going to see if I can manage to find each of the children's baptismal candles by tomorrow night (oh, if only everything was in one place - need some organization here!). Since I happen to have 4 children it's the perfect number to actually put them in the Advent wreath holder with shells scattered around.

Mary, that is truly brilliant with a capital "B"--for Baptism! I love it! Like you, I may not be able to find all the candles but even if I can just manage baby Eileen's it will be meaningful--and I know I have some shells around too.

All of these ideas are wonderful. Thank you Katherine--I can't wait to use your materials--and ALL!

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 08 2007 at 12:58am | IP Logged Quote ALmom

Thanks for the explanation of the icon and for the downloadable sketch you did. I know that we'll be doing art in our house tomorrow! Thanks.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

Ruth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 08 2007 at 7:23am | IP Logged Quote Ruth

Katherine,

This is wonderful. Thanks for posting the picture to color and for explaining the icon. It will be a great activity for today.

God bless.

mom to 7 miracles

My family blog

Loreto Rosaries
Back to Top View Ruth's Profile Search for other posts by Ruth Visit Ruth's Homepage

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 08 2007 at 8:41am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

The explanation of the Icon is tremendous! Thank you Katherine!

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 08 2007 at 8:41am | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

kjohnson wrote:
I decided to post this outside of the thread regarding the dating of the feast of the Baptism of Jesus. In honor of tomorrow's feast, I have posted a detailed explanation of the Icon of the Baptism of Jesus and offered a download of a coloring page of the Icon for the kids to use tomorrow.

Here it is.

Blessed feast!

Thank you again Katherine for sharing. I put up the icon as our computer background today so the kids crowded around the monitor as I explained all the symbolism, per your description. My dd is coloring your beautiful drawing for us to display.

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 08 2007 at 11:46am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Thank you, Katherine.

My *plans* this week are to read the gospel reading, go through the icon explanation and give the children the coloring sheet (thank you so much, Katherine ) and do the atrium baptism presentation (there's a picture of Cheryl's baptism center on her blog in the link here) from Moira Farrell's Home Catechesis.

There are 3 parts to this: Part I (Christ our Light) Part II (Living Water) Part III (The Living Word) found in HC 3-5.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2007 at 5:20am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Katherine, I just wanted to thank you again for sharing your beautiful coloring sheets with us. We had such a lovely day yesterday celebrating the Baptism, and those sheets were a hit.

I wanted to share with you all the narrations my boys made to go along with their coloring pages. I had read the Gospel at breakfast. We also looked up the different versions of the Baptism story in the Bible - Matthew, Mark and Luke. Then I came across an exercise in Saints and Feast Days - to ask the children to provide an eye-witness account of the scene by the River. They could elect to be John, a passer-by, a sinner or someone newly baptized. My boys pretended to be passers-by, brothers walking together, who came upon the scene. I typed out what they described, and if you don't mind I'd like to share their passages here.

Crackerjack, age 7:

"I was walking along the river Jordan with my brother when all of a sudden I saw tons of people watching someone in the water with another person. I thought they were playing a game in the water and then I realized he was pouring water over that person. The others were all watching. I noticed on the hill there was a group of more people coming and I wondered why. I thought to myself, is this some sort of magic trick or something? Then I realized someone was being baptized but I didn’t know what it really meant. I heard my mom say it but I never knew what it really meant. I wanted to go ask my mom but it was a long ways back since I’d been walking with my brother for a long, long time. I asked somebody and they said that he was being baptized because he wanted to, but the baptist said at first he didn’t need to be baptized. I knew that he was being baptized for a reason but I didn’t know what reason. And then I saw a dove coming down and I wondered why a dove would be here. It is sort of a rainy day today. But then I realized the dove was not using the wind it was using golden fire. It flew right into him and I wondered was this some sort of magic trick they’re doing? But then I looked all around and realized it wasn’t magic - it was really going right into his body! I felt like I was trying to make my mind up if it was a magic trick or if it was a celebration and I finally decided it was a celebration."

Bookworm, age 11:

"Something strange happened this day although at first it seemed like nothing could have possibly been so peculiar. As I was walking by the River Jordan, I noticed someone in the river doing strange activities with other people. Upon closer investigation, it appeared to be that he was baptizing them. I had found out about this by overhearing some people talking about it earlier today in town. Well, anyways now they were asking him if he was the Christ, and he said, “No.” Then when another man came towards the river, he began talking about how he is not worthy to tie the thongs on this man’s sandals. Pretty soon I caught on to the idea that this was the Christ that everyone was talking about and that he was asking the man who was baptizing the others to baptize him. Then in the middle of the activity the sky opened up and a dove came own to him and then, as I learned afterward he had the Holy spirit inside of him. After I saw this I immediately headed back to the village and told everyone what had happened. They said they didn’t believe me and I told them that maybe they should go and ask John the Baptist. I’m not sure if they did but I am sure of one thing - the Son of God now also has the Holy Spirit within him. I felt amazed."

I think we will do this with more Gospel stories! It was really fun to see how much they remembered from it and their own take on it.

P.s. I wrote a post about our day, including pictures of a seashell candle we made. It was a lot of fun!

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Jan 07 2008 at 7:49pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

I found this coloring sheet and thought that others might like it:
from St. John the Baptist Catholic Church in Front Royal.

They have several other beautiful coloring pages
here.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 08 2008 at 10:26am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

cathhomeschool wrote:
I found this coloring sheet and thought that others might like it:
from St. John the Baptist Catholic Church in Front Royal.

They have several other beautiful coloring pages
here.

Great stuff! Thanks, Janette!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Jenn Sal
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 11 2008 at 7:06pm | IP Logged Quote Jenn Sal

I can't open Katherine's link!

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Jan 11 2008 at 7:13pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Katherine's blogs are all gone. Janette's links work though .

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Maria B.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 12 2008 at 8:34am | IP Logged Quote Maria B.

Janette:

What a great find ... the coloring pages are wonderful. Thank you so much!

Back to Top View Maria B.'s Profile Search for other posts by Maria B. Visit Maria B.'s Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 12 2008 at 11:52am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I just found CatholicMom has mapped out Catholic Coloring and Gospel Activity Pages and has one for the Baptism and a really nice one for Epiphany.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Jenn Sal
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 12 2008 at 2:15pm | IP Logged Quote Jenn Sal

JennGM wrote:
I just found CatholicMom has mapped out Catholic Coloring and Gospel Activity Pages and has one for the Baptism and a really nice one for Epiphany.

I use this every week!    I print out the coloring page Saturday night and have them on the table for Sunday morning. This helps us to prepare for Mass. And since my daughter just received First Holy Communion in November, she said it helps her to fast by keeping her busy while her brother eats!    

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Jan 14 2008 at 9:17am | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

What a great idea, Jennifer! That would be something that I think my younger two would enjoy.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version