Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
The Arts in the Everyday
 4Real Forums : The Arts in the Everyday
Subject Topic: What do you do with the artwork? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
doris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 07 2007 at 5:38pm | IP Logged Quote doris

My eldest dd draws all the time. Some of it we display, some we put in her home ed folder, some we send to people. But she also draws and draws in bed at night (it takes her ages to get to sleep) and those drawings are often scrappy, or crumpled. But she's really hurt if I suggest we throw them out.

On the other hand we can't keep everything and she's going to fill the house up at this rate. Any suggestions?

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 07 2007 at 5:46pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Could you scan them into a computer and save them on a disk?

Another suggestion would be to have her keep them in binders with sheet protectors.

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

kjohnson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 07 2007 at 6:43pm | IP Logged Quote kjohnson

My children have opted to keep their favorite art work in notebooks in their rooms (much like what Alice suggested). They learned the hard way that the refrigerator is artwork death row in our home. (I admit, I don't like clutter.)   

Back to Top View kjohnson's Profile Search for other posts by kjohnson

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 07 2007 at 8:22pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Maybe you could keep them for awhile (we use one of those cardboard under bed boxes) and then have her sort through periodically (every 3 or 6 months?) and pick a few she wants to save. Sometimes when the immediacy is over a child has less problem parting with something.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 07 2007 at 9:08pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

I have a HUGE tote that all the art work goes into for the year. This is AFTER it has hung on the refrigerator. I'm like Katherine - I dislike clutter! At the end of the *school* year we go through the tote together and they pick out the best of the best, and that gets saved in plastic sheets in 3-ring binders.

Cici
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 07 2007 at 9:48pm | IP Logged Quote Cici

kjohnson wrote:
the refrigerator is artwork death row in our home

I hate to admit it, but here, too. I'm going to have to get a notebook, though, because my daughter is on to me!

missyc
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Jan 08 2007 at 1:25am | IP Logged Quote missyc

once a month , we gather all of their artwork/ craft projects on the kitchen table and arrange them nicely for a photograph. Afterwards we pitch most of the artwork (or give some away to family and friends).The kids keep a few of their favorites for a portfolio review at the end of the year. The kids are happy to have a photo reminder of their artwork and I'm happy that it doesn't clutter up our home!

Missy
Wife to John
mom to Virginia, Frederick, Caryn, Joseph, and baby in April !
Back to Top View missyc's Profile Search for other posts by missyc

dizzylaurel
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Jan 08 2007 at 7:00pm | IP Logged Quote dizzylaurel

In PA we have to submit an annual portfolio, so in addition to having some samples in the art section, we also use alot of originals as the subject dividers for each....for example, a picture of a castle was used for the "history" section, a picture of a playground for the "phy.ed"....I also must confess that MANY sheets eventually quietly find their way to the recycling pile or trash. I love my young artists, but we DO have a small house!   

Laurel in PA
Homeschooling   Beth 13, Rebecca 8
http://ploddingtowardholiness-laurel.blogspot.com/

Plodding Toward Holiness
Back to Top View dizzylaurel's Profile Search for other posts by dizzylaurel Visit dizzylaurel's Homepage

Karen E.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 08 2007 at 8:51pm | IP Logged Quote Karen E.

We use a lot of the tactics listed above -- individual "keeper" folders, and boxes. Periodically we sort through them. The photo technique works well, too, especially for big and crafty things.

The kids get better at parting with stuff as they get older! This, too, shall pass!

Visit my blog, with its shockingly clever title, "Karen Edmisten."
Back to Top View Karen E.'s Profile Search for other posts by Karen E. Visit Karen E.'s Homepage

doris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2007 at 10:06am | IP Logged Quote doris

Some great ideas here. Thanks all. I think the photo idea is great. That has helped in the past with being persuaded to break up favourite lego creations.

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 16 2007 at 12:11pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

I just saw this topic and wanted to share what I have done, besides all of the beforementioned ideas

We have a room with 7 large windows, we went to IKEA, bought wire to hang above the windows, we attach the childrens favorite art work on metal clips. They choose their favorites, 2nd favorites go in their art portfolios from Hearthsong, least favorite starts the fires at the end of the week! This way we have seasonal, weekly valances, they look cheerful and the dc get the wonderful privilege if their very own gallery. Of course this room happens to be the first room visitors enter, so there are many OHHS and AHHHS!
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 16 2007 at 12:46pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Very cool, Molly!

I just found this list at Martha Stewart

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Jan 16 2007 at 12:54pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

I decorated the kitchen with it. I've also used it to cover the walls in hallways and stairways.and sending it with Daddy to the office is always a good thing too. I like Alice's scanning idea. Michael was a prolific artist when he was little and I regret saving so little of it.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version