Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Preparing for Ireland Study?? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 05 2007 at 10:51pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

My family is going to Ireland this summer!
My husband's parents are celebrating their 55th anniversary by bringing their whole clan -- children, childrens' spouses and grandchildren.

I wanted to try to do some kind of unit study to prepare (Chari's idea!).   Could you share your ideas for:

Books?
Activities?
Information?
Movies?
Music?

Anything else?

I have some resources from all the years I've been part of this large Irish family, which I will try to get together and share in some sort of organized form, but would love your suggestions

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 06 2007 at 2:12pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Hilda Van Stockum's Bantry Bay series from Bethlehem come straight to mind, cottage at Bantry BayFrancie on the Run and Pegeen.

Movie that I'm thinking of is Darby O'Gill and the little people. There is also a book of the same title.

What fun, I'd love to hear of some good history books for Ireland. I do have a VERY ancient 1917 'history of Ireland' by 'Miss Corner' but too much for children I enjoyed it though.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 06 2007 at 8:51pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

One of our family's favorite books was an old OOP book called "Ireland: The South and the West of It" Can't remember the author, but we all fought over it- ages 14 and up. Another book, "Red Hugh of Donegal" is good, and published by Bethlehem Books. Another children's book, about St. Columba, is "The Man Who Loved Books" by Jean Fritz. Noel Streatfield's book, "The Magic Summer" takes place in Ireland, too, for children. For bigger kids (and you probably have this one on your list, already)there's "How the Irish Saved Civilization" by Cahill. Frances Parkinson Keyes wrote a book called "The Heritage", about a girl who marries an Irishman-I liked it but it's classic FPK, longwinded paragraphs, a bit oppressive in parts, but interesting about life in Ireland a century ago. On a lighter note, there's the book (and BBC adaptation) of "The Irish RM".

The movie "My Left Foot" with Daniel Day Lewis takes place in Ireland.

Isn't "The Silent Man" with John Wayne about a fellow who goes back to the Auld Sod and marries an Irish gal?

"Darby O'Gill" is a fun movie for the kids.

Music: we always liked Tom Clancy and the Clancy Brothers. Also, there is a recording called "Faith of our Fathers" that is old,traditional Irish hymns---we always play it on St. Patrick's Day.

I'm sure there will be piles more of ideas coming your way. What a great opportunity for your clan!

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 06 2007 at 9:01pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Kelly wrote:
Isn't "The Silent Man" with John Wayne about a fellow who goes back to the Auld Sod and marries an Irish gal?

The Quiet Man is what you're thinking of. Great movie!   For some reason my family thinks it is a Christmas movie....

We love Finn McCoul by Tomie dePaola which could take you into geography and the Giant's Causeway.

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 07 2007 at 1:26pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Willa, what an exciting opportunity for your family!

I wanted to let you know that in the Fall 2006 issue of Heart & Mind there is a unit study entitled - Ireland: Land of Saints and Scholars. I would be happy to mail it to you if you think it would be useful.

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 07 2007 at 2:53pm | IP Logged Quote Lissa

Great suggestions above! I want to go!

The King of Ireland's Son by Padraic Colum is a rollicking good read-aloud for your younger children.

Gimme Some Elbow Room is a fun music CD my kids ADORE--we first heard about it from Chari years ago on the CCM list! At least I'm almost positive it was Chari. Chari, was it you?    The "Oh What a Hurry-Burry" song is a frequent refrain around here...(it describes a chaotic scene from the life of what appears to be a large family)...

Another fun CD is the Clancy Children's So Early in the Morning.

Don't forget about St. Brigid of Ireland! (My confirmation name saint, btw, and a most inspiring person.)

What about that movie The Secret of Roan Inish? I haven't seen it...have always heard good things about it. Anyone know?

We are big fans of The Quiet Man. I loved Darby O'Gill as a child but haven't shown it to my kids yet...glad y'all reminded me of it. A song from that movie is one of the special songs for our family...when each of my children is a newborn I make up or adapt a little song just for him or her. Erin's song is "My Darling Irish Girl" from Darby O'Gill.

I also always remember Sean O'Connery and the young woman, what was her name, standing at the top of a hill looking down at the valley and imagining that raiders were attacking. "Who is it? The VIkings or the Danes?" she asks. That one little bit of dialogue stayed with me vividly and was the first time I really grasped the scope of history, if you know what I mean. I was a little girl, watching this OLD movie about even OLDER times, and THOSE characters were talking about older times still!

For older kids, Local Hero takes place in Ireland but it has been so long since I saw it (decades) that I honestly don't recall whether it is appropriate or not. It used to be one of Scott's favorite movies, I remember. Something about an American corporate guy sent to a little Irish fishing village on a company mission...they wanted to buy up the land, something like that? And of course he gets wrapped up in local relationships and has to choose between his job and his heart. Maybe you could look up reviews to see if it contains unsuitable content. Or Steve Greydanus might know!

Did anyone mention the picture book about the Book of Kells? The Sailor Who Captured the Sea by Deborah Norse Lattimore. Which could lead to an exploration of the Book of Kells itself, and Celtic knotwork, all the symbolism there, the amazing patterns...gosh, I'd kind of like to pursue that rabbit trail myself.

kingvozzo
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 07 2007 at 11:06pm | IP Logged Quote kingvozzo

Willa, what a great trip you'll be taking! I'm very jealous . My dad is from Ireland, with all his family still over there, and my mother's parent's were as well, but I've still not ever had a chance to get over there...
Here are some quick thoughts...
There are many great books about the mythology of Ireland, as well as the Church's strong influence. Besides St. Patrick, you could read up on St. Brigid, St. Kevin, St. Brendan, St. Ciaran
A History trail might include the potato famine, including the political factors that contributed to so many starving even though the country was producing food...The influence on immigration, and how America was changed when millions of Irish came here in the 19th century, what they went through when they got here.
Some silly books would be the Jamie O'Rourke books by Tomie DePaola.

Back to Top View kingvozzo's Profile Search for other posts by kingvozzo

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 08 2007 at 1:26am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Willa, how wonderful! Does your husband have alot of siblings? Sounds like it will be a great family reunion.

Erin mentioned the book from the movie "Darby O'Gill and the Little People" and I second that! There are two - Darby O'Gill and the Good People and Darby O'Gill and the Crocks of Gold - what is unusual but great about these books, they read like the accent the Irish have, quite thick too! So it will take a little bit to get in the swing of it but the children would love it!

I second The Quiet Man - “Sir!...Sir!...Here’s a good stick, to beat the lovely lady!” for more memorable quotes from the movie look here.

Music-wise I really love Clannad (most are siblings to Enya) famous for the song, Theme from Harry's Game and their lead singer Maire Brennan (sister to Enya) wrote & sung on her own a few Christian CD’s in recent years – I have two and highly recommend them! Perfect Time and Whisper to the Wild Water. These links allow you to hear a little of each song, one is to Saint Patrick called "A Light on the Hill" here are it's beautiful lyrics:

Low Ro Ho Ro
Glór na Gael
Low Ro Ho Ro
Éist le glór Dé

A sea journey takes him across
Takes our hero across
With the word in his heart
Lonely he prayed on the hill
Night and day a hundred times
A hundred times and more
And the voice
He heard calling
To plant the light of life
The light on the hill

Low Ro Ho Ro
Glór na Gael
Low Ro Ho Ro
Éist le glór Dé

Low Ro Ho Ro
Glór na Gael
Low Ro Ho Ro
Éist le glór Dé

A mission of faith sounds the bell
Brought a holy man with dreams
With his dreams for this Island
Letters he left to declare
This was his promised land
It's the land that was chosen
The voice
And his message
Still lives a thousand years
A thousand years and more

Low Ro Ho Ro
Glór na Gael
Low Ro Ho Ro
Éist le glór Dé

I hope you all enjoy your unit study and more especially this lovely, up-and-coming trip to Ireland!

God Bless, Anne

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 08 2007 at 2:37am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Another suggestion, if you have access to EWTN is to see what documentaries they may be showing in March (around St Patrick's feast) as they have had some lovely ones about St Patrick, Irish music with Dana (lovely Irish scenery) and a good doco on the Skellig Islands (Clannad sing a haunting song about it) and it's ancient history of the monks there - here is an internet link with information and photos of the Skellig Islands.

Like mighty ships that sail atlantic foam
The skellig isles parade the kerry coast
Its a strange place
With a needles eye
Where shipwrecks lie

Chorus
Where the king of the world
Rested for a while
And a place for the pilgrim
A sanctuary of time
Fourteen steps to nowhere
Out of solid stone
Dont lead us to the heavens
Or lead us to the sea

The vikings came to plunder and destroy
But to this day the holy relics stand
In a blind mans cove
Where the wailing woman sighs
And the seagulls cry

Chorus

A journey to these islands so rare
The sound of screaming souls that fill the air
A thousand wings
Against the sky
And grey seals disguised

Chorus

If you have never heard Clannad, (folk-style and Celtic - many of their songs are in the Gaelic language) here is small samplings from their Clannad Greatest Hits including, 'Harry's Game' and 'Skellig.'

God Bless, Anne

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 10 2007 at 3:19am | IP Logged Quote Willa

Oh, thank you all!
I especially loved how you all personalized your ideas -- some of the resources I already know about have new meaning because you have shared your memories and some of the new ones will have a bit of familiarity already.

Annie -- I love those lyrics you posted.   I think my husband has a verrry old Clannad album -- way back before CDs.

Dawn -- thanks so much for the offer to send the Heart and Mind unit.   I just got it in the mail, it turns out, and it looks good and extremely serendipitous

Take Up and Read

vmalott
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 10 2007 at 2:43pm | IP Logged Quote vmalott

Music: Can't believe nobody else mentioned the Chieftains!!! The Chieftains are Ireland's premiere group for traditional Irish music, as opposed to the "folk" music of the Clancy Brothers and other such groups. Absolutely beautiful stuff with Celtic harp, bagpipes, tin whistle, flute, fiddles, and bodhran (that round side drum). They play everything from jigs and reels to more haunting melodies that you've no doubt heard in some movie or other.

Movies: I have personal interest in those Irish freedom fighter movies like "In the Name of the Father" and "Michael Collins" and they might be interesting for older children (you may need to screen for violence, etc.). One movie I absolutely loved was "The Secret of Roan Innish". "Waking Ned Divine" was quirky, but rather funny and had very lovely scenery.

What part of Ireland will you be visiting? What a fantastic opportunity! I can hardly wait for the day we get to visit the country. My mother's parents and father's grandparents all come from Ireland (Cork, Kerry, and Limerick) and there is something deep inside me that keeps beckoning.

Valerie

Back to Top View vmalott's Profile Search for other posts by vmalott Visit vmalott's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 10 2007 at 3:59pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

vmalott wrote:
Movies: I have personal interest in those Irish freedom fighter movies like "In the Name of the Father" and "Michael Collins" and they might be interesting for older children (you may need to screen for violence, etc.).

Michael Collins is my grandmother's absolute favourite I'll give you one guess, yep we're descendants. Valerie you mention you have a personal interest, could it be that you are too?
On a tangent, one night a couple of years back I was talking to a new mum at a Nursing Mothers (La Leche) dinner, she was from Ireland (the youngest of 19 actually) here in my own little town in Australia and it turned out that she also was related to Michael Collins We were so thrilled.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Karen E.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 11 2007 at 7:45am | IP Logged Quote Karen E.

Lissa wrote:

For older kids, Local Hero takes place in Ireland but it has been so long since I saw it (decades) that I honestly don't recall whether it is appropriate or not. It used to be one of Scott's favorite movies

I love Local Hero! What a great movie.

I haven't seen it for a long time, so from a parent's perspective, can't remember whether anything is inappropriately portrayed ... Here's an Ebert review.

Oh, Willa! What an exciting time! Prayers for an amazing trip and an amazing unit study!

Visit my blog, with its shockingly clever title, "Karen Edmisten."
Back to Top View Karen E.'s Profile Search for other posts by Karen E. Visit Karen E.'s Homepage

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 11 2007 at 8:55am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

I put up a post around Labor Day about an Irish Fest in KC with lots of links to Irish Musicians we heard and enjoyed. The whole weekend made me feel like I was back in a Dublin Pub.

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

nissag
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 19 2007 at 7:50pm | IP Logged Quote nissag

Lissa wrote:
What about that movie The Secret of Roan Inish? I haven't seen it...have always heard good things about it. Anyone know?

Lissa, Secret of Roan Inish was wonderful! It's based on the book "The Secret of Ron Mor Skerry" by Rosalie Fry. I need to rent it again because I'm wracking my brain trying to remember the blessing that went with the banking of the coals.

And St. Brigid is the subject of my current writing project. She's wonderful!

"Real Lace" was an interesting non-fiction read, and "Under the Hawthorn Tree" by Marita Conlon McKenna was heartbreaking - about the Irish Famine. One summer I listened to an Irish friend read it to her daughter poolside, while the rest of our children took lessons. It is the first in a trilogy.

Angela's Ashes and 'Tis are way too intense for kids - even a lot of teens I know. There is some pretty raw content and not always flattering to the Catholic church. Lots of harsh language and really ugly situations. HOWEVER, if you can stomach reading them, you may be able to extract an acceptable picture to pass on to your children.

BTW, CS Lewis was from Ireland. It could lead down a rabbit trail!

At Home With the Gadbois Family

Back to Top View nissag's Profile Search for other posts by nissag Visit nissag's Homepage

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 03 2007 at 9:38am | IP Logged Quote Willa

I compiled all the resources you mentioned and put in a few of my own and it's on my blog with credit given to all of you.

Ireland

Thank you SO much!

Take Up and Read

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 03 2007 at 11:36am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Willa,
Your unit is lovely...just like you.

I came across a darling picture book last month that addresses the potato famine and the strength of family. I fell in love with the book right away. It's called Small Beauties: The Journey of Darcy Heart O'Hara.

And don't forget about the poems of Fr. John O'Brien.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 03 2007 at 9:09pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Wow! That is a fabulous looking study unit.    I know where to come back to when we get round to Ireland..

KellyinPA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 07 2007 at 3:40pm | IP Logged Quote KellyinPA

My husband and I MAY be going to Ireland this summer too! He's in sales and has to win the trip but so far, he tells me it's looking good I'm trying not to count my chickens so I don't want to do any research until I know for certain, but when I do now I know where to go, thanks Willa

the abundant life
Back to Top View KellyinPA's Profile Search for other posts by KellyinPA

vmalott
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2007 at 7:57am | IP Logged Quote vmalott

Erin wrote:
Valerie you mention you have a personal interest, could it be that you are too?

No, I don't think we are related. However, my grandfather was in the Irish Civil War, enlisting the very day Michael Collins was killed. His discharge papers state he was stationed at Portobello Barracks, which was Collins' HQ. Our family has reason to believe grandpa knew Collins, but didn't officially enlist in the National Army until his death on August 22, 1922.

After the war had ended and commission was up, he emigrated to Canada, then to the US. So, that whole time period is of great interest.

Valerie

Back to Top View vmalott's Profile Search for other posts by vmalott Visit vmalott's Homepage

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version