Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: Night of the Moonjellies Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Courtney
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 10 2005 at 8:34am | IP Logged Quote Courtney

We'll be rowing this book next week. I've looked at the FIAR archives and in the FIAR book. Does anyone have any ideas for a chapter book read aloud (my dc are 5 and 7 1/2) to go along with this? We'll be doing ocean life for about 2 weeks. Any thoughts? Thank you!

Back to Top View Courtney's Profile Search for other posts by Courtney

Courtney
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 10 2005 at 1:33pm | IP Logged Quote Courtney

I just found my answer! I forget I have "Honey for a Child's Heart" and it has many great lists. I've decided we'll read Pagoo by Holling C. Holling. We haven't read any of these books before.

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: May 10 2005 at 2:17pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

That's a great idea, Courtney. You might also like A Swim Through The Sea. It's a picture alphabet book that is the current favorite in our house.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Courtney
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 10 2005 at 3:14pm | IP Logged Quote Courtney

Ooh! That one looks good, too! We've checked out 34 books from one library and about 25 from another!

ami*
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 10 2005 at 5:05pm | IP Logged Quote ami*

Courtney wrote:
Ooh! That one looks good, too! We've checked out 34 books from one library and about 25 from another!

Courtney,

I have a list of chapter books to match Five in a Row books. The chapter books are all Sonlight picks. E-mail me if you want the link to it. I would post it right now, but I have to get off here right now! ;) Ami
Back to Top View ami*'s Profile Search for other posts by ami* Visit ami*'s Homepage

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 10 2005 at 10:54pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

When we went thru our "Ocean Phase" (including reading wonderful "Night of the Moonjellies") one of the favorite activities we did was put a big piece of white mural paper across the wall and separate it with a sketch into the Continental Shelf, the Slope and the Abyss. Then, as we studied interesting sea creatures, we'd draw or make the creature being studied, and put it in its appropriate place in the ocean. When we read "Night of the Moonjellies", we used inflated baggies and glued blue yarn to them for tentacles, and put a whole "fleet" of moonjellies on the chart. They really looked sharp. By the way, learning about jellyfish was one of the great discoveries of the unit. My 6yo ds became obsessed with jellyfish, and his enthusiasm was infectious. He did a whole notebook on jellyfish (now I think I'd make it a lapbook! ) and an oral presentation on the topic at the hs group! I grew up on the beach in Florida and had never given jellyfish much of a thought, in fact, it never occurred to me that there was even enough info on jellyfish to fill a notebook! But they were really very interesting! (sometimes, when people question if the hs children get a good education, I ponder that at least MOM is getting a good education!)

Kelly in sunny FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

Courtney
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 10 2005 at 11:28pm | IP Logged Quote Courtney

I've thought about doing the mural, too. I like the idea of doing the Continental Shelf, Slope and abyss. I'm making space on our walls in the room upstairs which is now becoming where we do all our learning activities. Thank you for the great ideas! My son has been asking about jellyfish for awhile now and is very excited! We'll have to do the baggie idea!

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: May 11 2005 at 9:47am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Night of the Moon Jellies is a great book for bringing up the concept of "common" or Local names for planta and animals. The book actually features comb jellies, or ctenophores, not true jelly fish, and not the animals we call Moon Jellies here in the north east (link to our moon jelly). Author Shasha himself discusses this on the FIAR message board.

Here's a ctenophore:

Cool, huh?

I love Pagoo for marine studies, and here are a few more:

Fish Watching
Robert Ballard
Ultimate Field Trip Marine Biology

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 11 2005 at 9:59am | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Another good read for Ocean studies is "The Shark Lady" by Ann McGovern. It is an easy scholastic biography about Dr. Eugenie Clark, known among icthyologists as "The Shark Lady" for extensive research on sharks. She used to live here in Sarasota where she did a lot of her work. It's an entertaining read, my children (and I) really enjoyed reading this book about her childhood and later life among the sharks.

Kelly in FL

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: May 11 2005 at 10:31am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Kelly wrote:
Another good read for Ocean studies is "The Shark Lady" by Ann McGovern. It is an easy scholastic biography about Dr. Eugenie Clark, known among icthyologists as "The Shark Lady" for extensive research on sharks. Kelly in FL

Dr. Clark spoke at our outdoor ed. conference a while back, and was so inspiring! The Shark Lady is great, as it Lady with a Spear (oop). Goodness, that title does not sound politically correct!!

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

Courtney
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 11 2005 at 11:15am | IP Logged Quote Courtney

What great sites and reads! Thanks Kelly and MacBeth. I'm really looking forward to this unit! I just wish we could go to the beach this summer! My in-laws have a place in Perdido Key, FL and we went last summer. We were some of the last visitors before one of the many hurricanes that did severe damage to it. It'll be at least another 6-9 mths before the place is up and running. Luckily it wasn't their primary residence.

Great picture, MacBeth!

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version