Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Language Arts Come Alive (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Language Arts Come Alive
Subject Topic: copywork vs dictation + handwriting Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Lorri
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 04 2007 at 7:29pm | IP Logged Quote Lorri

I understand the difference between copywork and dictation, but I was wondering if most people do both or just one or the other? Do they fill different needs? And does your child do handwriting in addition to that? My 8 yo ds actually likes doing dictations, but I wonder what the benefit would be, if any, of adding copywork to his load. Plus he's got handwriting excercises. That's a lot of writing for an 8 yo boy.

~Lorri
Back to Top View Lorri's Profile Search for other posts by Lorri

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 04 2007 at 8:59pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

I know that I only use handwriting sheets when training the children in cursive script (or printing, when they are really little) and once they have mastered it well (only a few months of doing it) then I rely on the copywork, dictation, narration to get their daily handwriting 'practise' done - I struggle with the work we do quite often and so I try to incorporate where I can. The handwriting results are good with doing this, so I am happy.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 05 2007 at 11:55am | IP Logged Quote Willa

I do pretty much the same as Annie.
I read that it's better to alternate copywork and dictation -- not do them both on the same day.

I usually have dictation only once or twice a week.

I think they fill different needs. Copywork teaches accuracy and reproduction and allows you to walk through someone else's writing and bring it in through your fingertips.

Dictation does the last part of this, too. But it is a bit more challenging because the child has to bring his own knowledge of spelling and punctuation into play.   

Of course, there is a middle step of studied dictation where the child is allowed to look at the piece of writing or even copy it out, before he does a dictation.

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Lorri
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 06 2007 at 6:16pm | IP Logged Quote Lorri

WJFR wrote:
   Copywork teaches accuracy and reproduction and allows you to walk through someone else's writing and bring it in through your fingertips.

Dictation does the last part of this, too. But it is a bit more challenging because the child has to bring his own knowledge of spelling and punctuation into play.   

Thanks, this clarified it for me.
Back to Top View Lorri's Profile Search for other posts by Lorri

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version