Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: ambleside vs MA Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mommylori
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 04 2007 at 2:12pm | IP Logged Quote mommylori

Ok we started doing ambleside and I am really like MA but I want to finish and love certian books on Ambelside.lol So alot of people combine them or am I the only one?lol We are only in year 1 so I know this may change as kids grow older but thought I would get some imput on the two. Ambleside does go very protestant so I try to cut all that out and sub the MA but well I was just wondering if others had an opionion on the matter.
Lori
Back to Top View mommylori's Profile Search for other posts by mommylori

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 04 2007 at 2:31pm | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

No... I do the same as you I think the idea behind MA was to give Catholic alternatives and they have articles about some books which may have a chapter or two that are somewhat questionable from a Catholic perspective, but otherwise good

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 04 2007 at 2:59pm | IP Logged Quote Lissa

I draw liberally from both sources. We are currently reading a list of books drawn largely from Ambleside Year 3 & Year 6, with some substitutions from MA, along with other books I just felt like including.

I am blogging a lot about this these days at Lilting House.

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 04 2007 at 3:30pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

I don't mean to hijack this thread from Lori, but can I ask a question about MA? I've been poring over it the past few days - how do the grades and years match up, pretty closely? My older two boys are 11 (solid 6th grade) and 7 (young 2nd grade). Thanks!

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 04 2007 at 3:37pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

I think the 2nd Grade is right on target. We use a combination of MA with some canned CHC and it is working well for us.

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 04 2007 at 4:01pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

~Rachel~ wrote:
I think the idea behind MA was to give Catholic alternatives

Yes and no. Yes, in that it's a CM education for Catholics but no in that we didn't use Ambleside as the model and then Catholicize it. We used the old PNEU syllabi as the model and adapted them to what we thought they would look like for Catholics today.

To be honest I haven't looked at Ambleside online in a long time but I do know that many people combine it with MA successfully so I think it must work well to do it that way.

You can use MA as it's written or pick and choose and tear it apart and do what works for you. I would guess that this is what most people do and really it makes sense because you have to make it work for your family.

God bless!

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

mommylori
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Jan 04 2007 at 6:16pm | IP Logged Quote mommylori

Michele I am only on year one, getting ready to start year 2.lol I actually love them both, alot of the books are the same, but I can tell you didn't use Ambleside to base your on because they are written so diffrently, I think the simularities in the books like the country of ours is they are really good books.
I am just trying to figure out how I want to do year 2, and I also have a kindergartener this year, so my first year with 2 children in school.lol and a baby due, so I am a little worried about fitting it all in.lol And giving Adam who is 2 the time he needs.lol So I am a bit worried, and since I am about to order everything, I have that am wow I am spending alot of money, I hope this works fear going into hand also.lol I am so Glad I saw that you have kindergarten this year though! And right before I came to dh with the list and prices.
I am just debating on continuing to combine or just going over to MA and making it a bit easier on me this year and then adding what I want.lol
I am not good at desions.lol
How do you all get this all figured out?lol I figure once I have everyones curriculim figured out I will just pass it down thru the years, if that makes since? Plus when they get a little older I won't have to hover so much during school.lol
Lori
Back to Top View mommylori's Profile Search for other posts by mommylori

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 05 2007 at 9:50am | IP Logged Quote stacykay

Was anyone else unable to access levels 1A and 2 (at Mater Amabilis?) The license agreement and welcome are superimposed over those two levels, and I can't click on them. Is is just my computer? Is there any way I can move them? (Yes, I am completely a novice in the world of computers! .)

Thanks!

God Bless,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 05 2007 at 10:20am | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Ah you are looking at it in Internet Explorer aren't you? OK I think I fixed it. Reload and tell me if it's OK. I see a few of the other pages are still wacky too. Working on them now.

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 05 2007 at 3:55pm | IP Logged Quote stacykay

Thank you, Michele! I am amazed how you knew "Internet Explorer!" I wasn't sure until I looked at the top of the screen, and it says "MS internet explorer!"
Shows how much I know about this machine!

I love the book suggestions, especially as I am looking at increasing 11 yo ds's reading list.

Thanks again!

God Bless,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

enjoythejourney
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Jan 08 2007 at 8:56am | IP Logged Quote enjoythejourney

What is MA? I love ambleside online.

Lindsey @ enjoythejourney
Back to Top View enjoythejourney's Profile Search for other posts by enjoythejourney

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 08 2007 at 9:04am | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

enjoythejourney wrote:
What is MA? I love ambleside online.

Mater Amabilis. A free online Catholic Charlotte Mason curriculum for the 21st century.

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 08 2007 at 9:22am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

We've been using MA this year for 4 children, and kind of meshing many levels together. I refer to the books ALOT! It's working quite well for us.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 08 2007 at 2:16pm | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

MicheleQ wrote:
~Rachel~ wrote:
I think the idea behind MA was to give Catholic alternatives

Yes and no. Yes, in that it's a CM education for Catholics but no in that we didn't use Ambleside as the model and then Catholicize it. We used the old PNEU syllabi as the model and adapted them to what we thought they would look like for Catholics today.

... I meant Catholic alternatives for the kind of lessons AO supplies ... MA does an excellent job of Catholicising CM... and is easily used with AO books too... typically the books I take issue with in AO I'll look for alternatives through MA... and if I cant find a book suggested by MA, I'll look over on AO.

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version