Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Planning and Ordering our Days
 4Real Forums : Planning and Ordering our Days
Subject Topic: Lesson Planning Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 27 2007 at 2:22pm | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

Dawn, I really enjoyed the post on your BLOG with the pictures of your learning area...beautiful! Since I tried to post a reply, but failed, here's a tip that you, and others who use totes, might enjoy...you can use hooks on vertical surfaces, like sides of bookcases or along free wall space OR use oversize cup hooks on the underside of tables, counters or deep windowsills to hang your totes. You'll be amazed at how much space you can free up! We have a large cup hook on the underside of our family command center, for my large purse/tote, which is extremely helpful! Totes and well organized spaces are useful tools that help make implementing lesson plans easier! Disorganization seems to be one of greatest causes for getting side-tracked or derailed, even with the best of plans. A peaceful, organized environment can be as important as lesson plans and curriculum. That does not mean you have to invest a lot of money or redecorate your entire house to create a homeschool friendly space...use what you have or keep your eye open for secondhand items or relatives' castoffs, and try to think outside the box for creative ways to make your home a place where living, loving and learning together is peaceful, positive and productive! When your home and learning spaces are well-ordered you will find that you are better inclined to create meaningful lesson plans...and hopefully, follow them (at least somewhat). Even the BEST lesson plans are simply that, a PLAN....never etched in stone or granite...they are meant to be a guide, from which you can take many a wondrous sidetrip! Plan away, and remember to enjoy the journey!

Teresa, I saw your post right after posting above...you've accomplished exactly the type of things I was trying to describe! We also live in a smaller home (1450 sq. ft.)... like you, I've learned to fashion spaces where learning can flow freely and easily! Getting rid of excess and creating well-ordered spaces for learning are key to a pleasant family and homeschooling environment! You've obviously mastered that concept!

mariB
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 27 2007 at 3:27pm | IP Logged Quote mariB

In Vermont we are forced to keep a portfolio(one of the options) in 8 subject areas. It is kind of a pain due to the fact that I may want to do a lot orally, say in science or history, and then I think OOOOhhh! I don't have enough for our portfolio. I love the 52 week idea. Right now I have accordian files for each of the children.

We used to have to submint scope and sequences for each of our children and not vary from them. Now they only require that we submit them for the 7th grade.

I think I would love to unschool for once. No lesson plans. Just a list of arithmetic, writing, religion,history, and science and let them choose what they want to do in those areas and then do what ever the kids feel like doing that day!

Back to Top View mariB's Profile Search for other posts by mariB Visit mariB's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 27 2007 at 4:19pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Servant2theKing wrote:

Teresa, I saw your post right after posting above...you've accomplished exactly the type of things I was trying to describe! We also live in a smaller home (1450 sq. ft.)... like you, I've learned to fashion spaces where learning can flow freely and easily! Getting rid of excess and creating well-ordered spaces for learning are key to a pleasant family and homeschooling environment! You've obviously mastered that concept!

Well, I wouldn't say "mastered." But it is working well for us at the moment. Who knows if it will continue to work, but I am hoping!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 27 2007 at 7:02pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Rachel

I have just completed my plans for the year. WE are due to start our new 'school' year tomorrow. So this is all fresh for me at the moment.

Let's see first I have written (in Word) an outline for 2007, ie. Language Arts and then I have sub headings such as spellling, dictation etc and write under those headings how I intend on doing these areas. I'll cut and paste a bit here:

Program Outline 2007

Language Arts
Allow an hour and a half for language arts.

1) Phonics/Reading- Daily

Immerse Mariah and Malachi in phonic sounds through repetition and games. Daily reading practice is to also be a part of this program. Both children are to be fluent readers by the end of the year. Xavier, Dominic and Chiara are to know thoroughly the double letter phonograms. Occasionally ask the older children to read aloud.

2)Copywork- Daily

Older children will write a poem or a Bible quote over a weekly period. Mariah will begin with basic letter formation. Insist on correct letter formation from all children.

I hope this gives you and idea of what I mean (and doesn't bore you) I continue this with headings for the 4Rs plus the creative arts. Obviously some headings have sub-headings like Religious Formation, may have Bible, Cathechism, saints etc.

Then I have a routinue sheet (created in Excel) I can post that if that's what you are needing. After a few years of trial and error it is fairly realistic these days. Although I'm sure by week 2 I will be back to tweak a little. I have a Kindergartner this year to add plus my dd will be expected to do more being a grade 8 student so I may need to tweak my expectations. But that's fine.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

HeatherNY
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Jan 27 2007 at 7:12pm | IP Logged Quote HeatherNY

Dawn wrote:
I just put up a post about our lesson planning.

Dawn:
Thank you for all your help. This post is wonderful!!!
It must have taken a while to put together. May the Lord bless you for all your efforts.
Love,
Heather
P.S. I love the picture on you on your blog. It's so warm and welcoming.
Back to Top View HeatherNY's Profile Search for other posts by HeatherNY Visit HeatherNY's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 28 2007 at 5:05am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Heather, thank you so much! You are very kind.

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 28 2007 at 6:32am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

Yes, Dawn, thank you for posting. I can't wait for post two!!!

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 05 2007 at 11:10am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

I was also inspired by Dawn's post, and all of your ideas on planning, so I finally got around to writing my own post on how I do lesson planning, with some examples of projects ds will be doing.
My planning post

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

MommyD
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 05 2007 at 11:24am | IP Logged Quote MommyD

Dawn, you are wonderful!! I was so inspired, I went out last night and bought a crate and made folders. I don't need the weekly folders (yet) but the seasonal folders are already working really well. THANKS!!

MommyD
Back to Top View MommyD's Profile Search for other posts by MommyD

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 06 2007 at 1:38pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

I was just coming here to post a link to your planning post, Theresa.   I really loved the way you've set up learning centers for your children, and am trying to brainstorm ways to modify that so that it will work for my more vague, conceptual little brain I think my 11 year old would love the approach of moving from center to center, and it might work well with my special needs 7yo as well.

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version