Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Another recycled card ornament spinoff Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
KellyJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 17 2006 at 2:39pm | IP Logged Quote KellyJ

I've been having fun with the recycled Christmas card ornaments JennGM introduced to us.

I know Katherine has made a lovely saint spinoff on the ornaments. While I'd love to make the saint ornaments, this isn't our year for that. Maybe next year?

What we've been busy make are family picture ornaments. I've taken pictures of family members and made them into ornaments in the same fashion as Jenn showed us.

I did not use pictures we had printed already, but ordered what we wanted. I worked a bit on proportions and borders to get them the right size. It also helps to decide ahead of time whether each picture with be a pointy side up or pointy side down for the triangles.

The first couple ornaments turned out quite big, but the ones we're working on now are a good size for a tree and for gift-giving, which is our plan for them.

My own twist on the instructions includes hot glue and metallic pipe cleaners. We use hot glue to attach the pictures to one another. We also use hot glue to attach metallic pipe cleaners to the edges in lieu of glue and glitter. The hot glue isn't so friendly for having young ones working on the projects.

Thanks Jenn for introducing this craft to us. We're really enjoying it and think those who will be receiving our family picture ornaments will enjoy them too!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 17 2006 at 3:13pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Kelly,

First of all, you're so welcome. It's my favorite card craft I'll never get tired of it!

Your ornaments sound so wonderful! I love the idea.

I don't have a hot glue gun...did it make it easy to stick? That sounds brilliant! I'd love to see pictures! And the pipe cleaners, what another terrific idea!

Good point about figuring out the broader end of the triangle folds. That's another tip I pass along in person...when you're planning the different "rows", it's nice to have the pictures all right side up, so that requires some planning to turning the triangle "point down". I like to have a solid color alternating in the middle row, so that's usually upside down triangle, but the bottom row is all point side down.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

kjohnson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 17 2006 at 10:31pm | IP Logged Quote kjohnson

This is a wonderful idea. Hot glue is a great idea too.

Aren't these ornaments addictive? My mom was asking me if I could print out paintings of the Nativity and create a pyramid of them, rather than a ball, and make a tree. I may try it if I have time (I'm behind on my saint ornaments...poor St. John of the Cross isn't up yet.)

Back to Top View kjohnson's Profile Search for other posts by kjohnson

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 18 2006 at 12:46am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

kjohnson wrote:
My mom was asking me if I could print out paintings of the Nativity and create a pyramid of them, rather than a ball, and make a tree.

I have a friend who says she used to experiment and make all kinds of shapes like this - pyramids, squares, etc. - including points coming out of the balls. Sounds like fun.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

KellyJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 18 2006 at 2:46pm | IP Logged Quote KellyJ

I am trying to upload photos. I'm working from a new computer right now, and I can't figure out how to get it to read the card with the pictures on it.

The glue gun works really well and really fast. With it being so fast, you really need to have things ready ahead of time. There's not much time to fuss in repositioning or removing pieces if you make a mistake. When you get to pipe cleaner detailing, you can get "cobwebs" of hot glue, which amounts to a little bit of clean-up, swiping the thin strings out of the way.

KellyJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 18 2006 at 3:15pm | IP Logged Quote KellyJ

I think the problem was with the card reader itself, not the computer. Here are a few pictures.

A family ornament: this one has some "blank" spots for the babies that were miscarried. The names and years the family lost the babies are written in each spot. The pictures are in birth order (other than the mom & dad & their wedding picture). I used every spot for this family (10 living children, 7 miscarriages, 1 for each mom and dad, 1 from their wedding).

A baby's first year: This one was done by my oldest for a baby who was born early this year. He used 10 pictures of the baby, and wrote & drew on the other spots.

An engagement ornament: One of my sisters became engaged last month, and I made this from pictures of her, her fiance, and them as a couple.

The second two are much larger than the first, as we were just getting the idea of how to do it, and I didn't notice whether the directions suggested a maximum circle diameter. Since then, we've scaled down to a 2" diameter, which makes for a nice Christmas tree size ornament. The smaller size requires a bit more time on the prep side, in getting the picture size and proportions right (My husband now knows that I don't want anyone's face to be larger than the finger nail on my index finger -- else they're too big for the ornaments. ) It also prompts some questions from our photo processors, as they're concerned whether we really meant to order the pictures so small. I brought in an ornament for one of them today so she could see what we're getting at and she needn't worry.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 18 2006 at 3:32pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

KellyJ wrote:
I think the problem was with the card reader itself, not the computer. Here are a few pictures.

A family ornament: this one has some "blank" spots for the babies that were miscarried. The names and years the family lost the babies are written in each spot. The pictures are in birth order (other than the mom & dad & their wedding picture). I used every spot for this family (10 living children, 7 miscarriages, 1 for each mom and dad, 1 from their wedding).

A baby's first year: This one was done by my oldest for a baby who was born early this year. He used 10 pictures of the baby, and wrote & drew on the other spots.

An engagement ornament: One of my sisters became engaged last month, and I made this from pictures of her, her fiance, and them as a couple.

Wow, wow, wow! The pipe cleaner is so neat, too. Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 18 2006 at 8:56pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

I love all of these so much! Thank you, Jenn.   Thank you, Katherine.

Kelly, your use of photos for these ornaments is just perfect!

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

KellyJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 20 2006 at 3:08pm | IP Logged Quote KellyJ

In addition to the different shapes that Katherine has mentioned, today, I realized that you can vary the number of pieces in the "basic" ornament. I knew you could make it bigger, but it didn't strike me till today (with a work-in-progress in hand that was missing a piece -- How did that piece not make it into the order?) that you could make it smaller.

Rather than the 20-piece, 5-10-5 (top-middle-bottom) arrangement, you can do a 5-5 (no middle), a 4-8-4, a 4-4, a 3-6-3, and 3-3. I don't even want to think of larger variations right now.

These smaller variations are well-suited to saints and feasts for which you might not have much by the way of pictures, symbols, and other representations and for specific photo gift ornaments.

The 20-piecer was great for that family ornament I posted earlier; but, for a smaller family than that one or one just of the children, a smaller variation as mentioned above may be better. An ornament with fewer available slots would have also worked well for both the engagement and baby's first year ornaments I posted.

I just reordered the picture that got me on this tangent, and I'd better get back to the children....

kjohnson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 20 2006 at 4:19pm | IP Logged Quote kjohnson

I'm so glad you posted this discovery, Kelly, because I've only made it our St. John of the Cross ornament and have many, many more to go. This may end up being a 2 year project. But making them smaller may speed it up a bit.

Thanks a million.

Back to Top View kjohnson's Profile Search for other posts by kjohnson

Victoria in AZ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 20 2006 at 10:15pm | IP Logged Quote Victoria in AZ

For quick circle cut outs, you could use a circle punch from a scrapbook store.

I remember doing this craft as a child, and I am happy to have these instructions.

Thank you. The creativity on this forum knows no bounds!

Back to Top View Victoria in AZ's Profile Search for other posts by Victoria in AZ

KellyJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 21 2006 at 10:58am | IP Logged Quote KellyJ

Great idea, Victoria! Thank you! Now, if I only had one of them... (putting on "mental wish list").

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version