Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Teach myself to knit? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Jenny
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 10:05am | IP Logged Quote Jenny

I just saw on sosmebody's blog (I'm sorry I don't remember who ) about knitting a scarf for a WWII veteran. I think, (slowly dipping toe in water) my girls and I may give this a try! It will help us stay motivated and committed if we know we're doing it for someone else and we have a deadline.

So, I'm going back through this thread, reading, clicking and also calling my librarian. She loves to set little things up for kids and adults, so I am going to ask her to find a knitter & set up a little knitting class one day a week at the library. Plus she loves to support veterans.

I'll let you know...Thanks ladies for your inspiration!

Wait, I just saw they have a pattern, I may be in over my head? Could you look at it & see if it is a do-able, very beginner pattern for a momma and her girls.

knitting a scarf for a WWII veteran

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 4:45pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Jenny,

That was my blog -- the pattern that they've got on the WW2 museum website is very easy -- garter stitch (all knitting, no purling) with just added stripes.

And it sounds like they want just about any kind of scarves -- that's what makes this so do-able for my littles!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 7:30pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

What a neat idea!

Karen, I love your blog shares. I love the widening scarf. At least you don't have a hole to deal with .

Mary, I'm excited to try the round knitting thing.

For now, I need to finish this first project of a scarf for ds5. He is waiting. . .

He told me tonight that when he was outside his neck was so COLD!! hint, hint, Mom!!! I better hurry.

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 10:18pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

I am so, so excited to find so many of you ladies also just learning to knit! Wow! I started at Thanksgiving, stopped for awhile during the move, and have now picked it up again. So far I have made a scarf and a half, and a little purse. What fun!My dd (17) is also learning with me and ds may as well.
I have a question for those familiar with the knifty knitter. I just bought one this evening on a whim while at the craft store. Came home and realized there are NO INSTRUCTIONS (!) in the packaging. They must have slipped out somehow. Leave it to me to buy the only incomplete set.This wouldn't be such a big deal, but the craft store is an hour's drive away so I can't just go back and return it.
So...anyone care to help me out with some instructions?

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 10:35pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Theresa -- are you talking about the big circle knitting "looms"? I can scan the directions and email them if you'd like. Just pm me....

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 12:43pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Yes, Mary, that's it. I PM'd you. Thanks!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Karen E.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 10:40pm | IP Logged Quote Karen E.

Sarah,
I know there was a hole in there somewhere!

Nissa, you asked what kind of yarn on the chopsticks ... then you answered with all the information I know: "Cream coloured." Yup. That's all I know. And, it was $2 at Hobby Lobby.

Which brings me to my next question: what do I do when I get to the end of a ball of yarn and my scarf is not yet done?

Visit my blog, with its shockingly clever title, "Karen Edmisten."
Back to Top View Karen E.'s Profile Search for other posts by Karen E. Visit Karen E.'s Homepage

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 24 2007 at 10:46am | IP Logged Quote Sarah

Okay, I'm almost done with this scarf with the garter stitch. Now what should I do?? I bought several books but I'm not sure if I should make samplers with the various stiches now or if I should jump into another project. One book suggested a stockinette stitch striped baby blanket using #10 circular needles with two different colors but when I read the pattern it looked so hard since it didn't really explain how to do anything .

What does everyone think? Make samplers?? I SO want to keep knitting but don't know what to do. Sounds dumb I know, but teaching myself feel kind of like inventing the wheel. Any thoughts??

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 24 2007 at 10:49am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Sarah wrote:
Okay, I'm almost done with this scarf with the garter stitch. Now what should I do?? I bought several books but I'm not sure if I should make samplers with the various stiches now or if I should jump into another project. One book suggested a stockinette stitch striped baby blanket using #10 circular needles with two different colors but when I read the pattern it looked so hard since it didn't really explain how to do anything .

What does everyone think? Make samplers?? I SO want to keep knitting but don't know what to do. Sounds dumb I know, but teaching myself feel kind of like inventing the wheel. Any thoughts??

My teacher said learning to follow a pattern for mittens is a basic step in learning. A hat might be next.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 24 2007 at 7:18pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

I wonder if I have to do that three double pointed knitting needle thing for mittens. It looks so hard. Maybe there's a beginner's way to do it. I probably need to get a better book like people suggested above. I just never seem to be able to get out and get it and I haven't made any online purchases lately. I bought 2 books that looked good, but seem to lack a few steps for someone teaching themselves. I'm missing something somewhere and that's why I wondered if the samplers would fill in those mysteries for me.

Thanks Jenn.

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 24 2007 at 8:55pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Sarah,

Run, don't walk , to your library and get Sally Melville's The Knitting Experience. She's got tons of great patterns that just use the knitting stitch.

I just posted on my knitting blog a freebie pattern that I did a few years back for Lion Brand Yarns -- it's all garter and makes a really cute little backpack. You could also try that.

PM if you have any problems.

Karen E.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2007 at 7:03am | IP Logged Quote Karen E.

Mary,

Thanks for the book recommendation!

Sarah, I have a friend who just recommended Sunny's Mittens to me, for my daughter -- though I have to admit that I kind of like the directions in kids' knitting books for myself ... they're so elementary, which is what I need!

Okay, I have a dumb question. How do I start a new ball of yarn, or change colors? I could consult my elementary books, but here's the scary part: I did consult them, and they didn't really answer my question. They seem to assume that I know what I'm doing ....

Back to Top View Karen E.'s Profile Search for other posts by Karen E. Visit Karen E.'s Homepage

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2007 at 7:28am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Sarah wrote:
Make samplers?? I SO want to keep knitting but don't know what to do. Sounds dumb I know, but teaching myself feel kind of like inventing the wheel. Any thoughts??

Don't call them samplers, call them dishclothes or washrags. Then they have a purpose and if something has a purpose I am more likely to be excited about doing it. Whereas if the only purpose is to sit in my knitting bag to show that I can do this pattern, it probably won't get finished.

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2007 at 8:00am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Karen E. wrote:
Sarah, I have a friend who just recommended Sunny's Mittens to me, for my daughter -- though I have to admit that I kind of like the directions in kids' knitting books for myself ... they're so elementary, which is what I need!

Karen -- Sunny's Mittens is great! The only problem with it is that you really need to have someone help you cast onto the double-pointed needles -- altho wooden 11s are keep the yarn from slipping too much, it can be a bit unwieldly at first.

Karen E. wrote:

Okay, I have a dumb question. How do I start a new ball of yarn, or change colors? I could consult my elementary books, but here's the scary part: I did consult them, and they didn't really answer my question. They seem to assume that I know what I'm doing ....
Believe me, no question is dumb. Books rarely explain things like "add new color" or "tuck in ends" and this can be frustrating, so please don't feel goofy.

To add another ball mid-row (if your ball has run and you're not done yet), hold the end of the old and the beginning of the new and use those to strands together for about 1 inch worth of knitting (usually 4 or 5 sts) and then drop the old yarn and continue with the new. Unless the yarn is super think, this barely gives a blip on the knitting.

Another way is to drop the old, start the new and then after a few stitches, go back and overhand knot the two strands together -- you'll then go back with a yarn needle (big eye, blunt tip) and hide the ends in the back of the work (going in opposite directions).

If you're adding the yarn at the beginning of a row, just pick up the new/drop the old and start knitting; again, you can overhand or square knot the ends for security and then tuck the ends in later.

Clear as mud?

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2007 at 8:02am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

marihalojen wrote:
Sarah wrote:
Make samplers?? I SO want to keep knitting but don't know what to do. Sounds dumb I know, but teaching myself feel kind of like inventing the wheel. Any thoughts??

Don't call them samplers, call them dishclothes or washrags. Then they have a purpose and if something has a purpose I am more likely to be excited about doing it. Whereas if the only purpose is to sit in my knitting bag to show that I can do this pattern, it probably won't get finished.

We just finished reading "Meet Molly" -- the first book of the Molly American Girl series. In it her classmates put together a blanket made with all the same size squares. Hospitals, Red Cross, Fire Departments, etc are always looking for blankets like this for trauma victims, etc. You can make them small for babies or preemies, etc.

If you'd like I can do a blog post about charity knitting and then link to here.....

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 25 2007 at 11:09am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Sara,

Here's the mitten pattern I used. It has directions for the 4 double pointed needles, but also directions for 2 needle mittens and hat, basic and simple.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2007 at 1:01pm | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Humph. I have a Martha right in front of me, Feb. 2006, that has a neat scarf that is actually woven, not knit but the same idea could be used regarding the samplers, but I cannot get the contents page for this particular month to come up on her website to see if you all can view the scarf! Aaah! Nothing I can think to search works, so I guess a thousand words will be needed instead of one picture.

Anyhow, two squares wide as long as you want to make it, have fun!

Variety of patterns, variety of colors, single pattern, single color, whatever. Very adaptable.

Incidently, same article has a great baby bootie from a square and I would show you if I could figure out how!

Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 25 2007 at 1:26pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

marihalojen wrote:
Humph. I have a Martha right in front of me, Feb. 2006, that has a neat scarf that is actually woven, not knit but the same idea could be used regarding the samplers, but I cannot get the contents page for this particular month to come up on her website to see if you all can view the scarf! Aaah! Nothing I can think to search works, so I guess a thousand words will be needed instead of one picture.

Anyhow, two squares wide as long as you want to make it, have fun!

Variety of patterns, variety of colors, single pattern, single color, whatever. Very adaptable.

Incidently, same article has a great baby bootie from a square and I would show you if I could figure out how!

Here you go, Jennifer:
Weaving Ideas

and the baby booties

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2007 at 1:58pm | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

JennGM wrote:
Here you go, Jennifer:
Weaving Ideas

and the baby booties

That's it! Thank you, Jenn! Aren't those the cutest booties ever?

And yes, I know that all those things are woven but they are squares so take your knitted squares and make stuff out of 'em!

Karen E.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 26 2007 at 7:02am | IP Logged Quote Karen E.

Mary G wrote:

Believe me, no question is dumb. Books rarely explain things like "add new color" or "tuck in ends" and this can be frustrating, so please don't feel goofy.

Thanks, Mary.

Mary G wrote:
To add another ball mid-row (if your ball has run and you're not done yet), hold the end of the old and the beginning of the new and use those to strands together for about 1 inch worth of knitting (usually 4 or 5 sts) and then drop the old yarn and continue with the new. Unless the yarn is super think, this barely gives a blip on the knitting.

This makes sense.

Mary G wrote:
Another way is to drop the old, start the new and then after a few stitches, go back and overhand knot the two strands together -- you'll then go back with a yarn needle (big eye, blunt tip) and hide the ends in the back of the work (going in opposite directions).

Ok, this is where I get lost. When you say, "start the new" ... exactly how do I do that? Just knot them together and then tuck the ends in later, as you explained below?

Mary G wrote:
If you're adding the yarn at the beginning of a row, just pick up the new/drop the old and start knitting; again, you can overhand or square knot the ends for security and then tuck the ends in later.

Thanks!

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version