Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: CHC Tour Australia Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Dawnie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 10 2006 at 11:26pm | IP Logged Quote Dawnie

I know this is a little late, but here is a list of picture books I found at our local library for the Australia portion of CHC's Tour the Continents study. I'm not doing very much w/ this unit since we have a new baby, but if anyone else has any cool ideas they'd like to share, please go ahead!

The Old Woman Who Loved to Read by John Winch
Snap! by Marcia Vaughan, ill. by Sascha Hutchinson
Possum Magic by Mem Fox
The Biggest Frog in Australia by Susan L. Roth
The Best Beak in Boonaroo Bay by Narelle Oliver
The Pumpkin Runner by Marsha Diane Arnold

The book Possum Magic mentions various Australian dishes--does anyone have a recipe for any of the following?
Anzac Biscuits
Mornay
Minties
Vegemite
Pavlova
Lamington

Dawn

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 11 2006 at 3:49am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Dawnie wrote:
I know this is a little late, but here is a list of picture books I found at our local library for the Australia portion of CHC's Tour the Continents study.

Dawn is there any sort of topic areas you are after in particular? If you are wanting to simply browse some titles I have a picture book page of recommendations on Aussie Book Threads website.

Dawn wrote:
The book Possum Magic mentions various Australian dishes--does anyone have a recipe for any of the following?
Anzac Biscuits
Mornay
Minties
Vegemite
Pavlova
Lamington

You will not be able to make Vegemite as it is a manufactured product basically made from yeas, salt and malt extract. I have heard it said that it is not a taste to most Americans liking.

What mornay receipe are you after? Tuna, chicken or...?

Minties are a mint flavoured square white chewable lolly (candy).

Receipes will follow.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Dawnie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 11 2006 at 9:31am | IP Logged Quote Dawnie

Erin,

Would you believe I've already browsed the Australia picture book section of your webpage and my local library has NONE of those titles? They look like fun books, though!

I suppose what I'm looking for are picture books or short chapter books that I can read aloud to my kids. I'm not really after any topic in particular.

I think I would be looking for a tuna mornay recipe.

Thanks, Erin!

Dawn

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 11 2006 at 9:35pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Dawnie wrote:

Would you believe I've already browsed the Australia picture book section of your webpage and my local library has NONE of those titles? They look like fun books, though!

I'm intending on working on my site after Christmas haven't got there for a long time. I need to add lots more IN Print titles most on my site are from my own shelves. What ages are your dc again? Just thinking in relation to chapter books. Of the top of my head Colin Thiele's books should be in print.

Now receipes:

Pavlova:

This is a great one for summer parties and will be on our Christmas menu. A tip though, it will not work if there is even a drop of water in your bowl. One year I had a flop as I rinsed off my bowl before using and it woasn't totally dry

8to 10 egg whites, most important to have NO egg yolk. (IF you don;t have a separater you can do it using your fingers as a catch just be very careful)The eggs must be room temperature.

pinch salt

Whip these up in the processor with the egg beaters. It should be a stiff frothy mixture. Gradually and slowly add in 1cup of white(castor) sugar (must be white can't substitute). Give it a good beat.

Add
1teaspoon of vanilla and 1 teaspoon of vinegar.
1/2 teaspoon of cream of tartar and 2 rounded tablespoons of cornflour. continue to beat. You may need to add another dessertspoon of sugar.

Pour the pavlova into a round pie dish or pizza tray lined with greasproof paper. Pour it so that the sides are even.

Have your oven heated to 200degrees Celsius. then drop the temperature to 140 degress C. when you put in the pavlova. It will have to be cooked for an hour, turn the pavlova around halfway through the baking. Be very gentle with the door. You may take it out 15 minutes earlier it is only meant to be very light brown. A fan force tends to be quicker.

When cool you add whipped cream in the center and slice fruit on top of that. Passionfruit, kiwi fruit and bannanas taste great. As you may not have all of those there even sliced peaches are great.

I'm not too sure if any of these ingredients are not American let me know and I'll try to explain so we can think of a substitute.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 11 2006 at 9:54pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Lamingtons:

You need to make a rectangular or square sponge cake. It is best to what and let it age a day of two, if it is too fresh it becomes too crumbly.
Cut the cake into large squares
make a mixture of chocolate icing fairly runny and have it in a flat pan.
Also pour dessicated coconut into a flat pan as well. I know you don;t have dessicated cocnut there but I have wondered whether you could blend up the shredded coconut smaller, I haven't tried it.
You roll the squares through the chocolate and then through the coconut.
Place on a rack to dry. Messy but fun. Lamington drives (fundraisers) are big here I remember helping the mums at school make up big batches.

Anzac biscuits:

Interesting story here The name came about as the women in Australia sent these off to the men in the trenches in the First World War (our Anzacs) as unlike flour they could keep (well for a time)

1 cup rolled oats
3/4cup coconut
1 cup plain flour
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons boiling water
1 1/2 teaspoons bi-carb soda
125g (4oz) butter
1 tablespoon golden syrup. (A little like a light molasses)

Combine rolled oats, sifted flour, sugar and coconut. combine butter and golden syrup in saucepan, stir over low heat until butter is melted. Mix soda with boiling water add to butter mixture stir in dry ingredients.
Spoon heaped teaspoons (I do tablespoons) of mixture on to greased oven trays Allow room for spreading.

Bake in slow oven 20 minutes. loosen on trays while still warm then cool on trays. (They should harden nicely)
this receipe makes about 35 biscuits.

Dawnie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 13 2006 at 12:16pm | IP Logged Quote Dawnie

Erin,

Thanks so much for the recipes!!

Just a few questions: the pavlova recipe calls for white or castor sugar...in America we call granulated sugar "white sugar." It is similar in texture to salt. Finer in texture, more like powder, is powdered or confectioner's sugar. Which of these should I use in the pavlova recipe?

The pavlova recipe also calls for cornflour...is this the same as cornstarch? Cornstarch is white and powdery, often used as a thickening agent. Cornflour or cornmeal is usually yellow and more grainy in texture...we use it to make cornbread.

I should be able to handle all the metric to English conversions.

The dc who will be listening to the read-alouds are 7 and 4. I did see some books by Colin Thiele when I did a search on the library's website. Which ones would you reccommend?

Thank you again for your help!

Dawn

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 13 2006 at 3:39pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Dawnie wrote:
Just a few questions: the pavlova recipe calls for white or castor sugar...in America we call granulated sugar "white sugar." It is similar in texture to salt. Finer in texture, more like powder, is powdered or confectioner's sugar. Which of these should I use in the pavlova recipe?

White sugar sounds like your granulated sugar, it is like a fine salt.

Dawnie wrote:

The pavlova recipe also calls for cornflour...is this the same as cornstarch? Cornstarch is white and powdery, often used as a thickening agent. Cornflour or cornmeal is usually yellow and more grainy in texture...we use it to make cornbread.

Yes it is the same as cornstarch.

Dawnie wrote:
The dc who will be listening to the read-alouds are 7 and 4. I did see some books by Colin Thiele when I did a search on the library's website. Which ones would you reccommend?

I'll have toget back to you on this one as today is the BIG DAY!!!! We are moving But quickly off the top of my head Farmer Pelz' Pumpkin and Farmer Schulz's Ducks are lovely picture books. And Gemma's Christmas is appropriate for this time of the year. Also Storm Boy is an australian classic and what I would call a short chapter book. There are some sad scenes in it so pre-read if you have sensitive children.
What other Australian authors does your library have?

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 03 2007 at 4:29am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

This is sort of late in the posting Dawn.......but I just have to tell you my favourite children's picture book that is typically Australian, talks our 'lingo' (language ) refers to a range of Australian towns, talks about billabongs, jackaroos, bush rangers and is lots of fun! - The Oath of Bad Brown Bill - here is the text of the book:

The Oath Of Bad Brown Bill

One hundred years ago or more,
A bloke named Bad Brown Bill.
Ranged the bush from Binnaway,
And Burke to Castle Hill.

Gruff and tough, rude and shrewd,
A scoundrel to the core.
He plundered stole, he robbed and thieved,
And still went out for more.

A mare named Mudpie was his mount,
An old but nimble nag.
As hard as nails, as bold as brass,
But something of a wag.

They bailed up every bank and pub,
From Broome to Cooper's Creek.
And bundled up the Mudgee mail,
Not once but every week.

They boldly stole the Queensland Mint,
Just took it right or wrong.
Then down the eastern coast they sailed,
And stuck up Wollongong.

One day they caught the Governor,
They took his splendid hat.
They made him dance a jig on it,
Until he squashed it flat.

When now and then the mounted troups,
Rode out to track them down.
Brown Bill would yell, and whoop and cheer,
And chase them back to town.

Our hero was quite sure he was,
The bravest of the brave.
He bragged so much he nearly drove,
Poor Mudpie to her grave.

In desperation Mudpie,
Found power of speach and said.
"You brag - but are you bold enough,
To rob the ghostly dead?"

This struck and stunned,
And sorely stung Brown Bill's enormous pride.
He flew into a crimson rage,
"My oath I am" he cried.

He knelt upon the stony ground,
And bowed his fat brown head.
He slowly swore and awful oath,
And solemnly he said...
Be they live, or dead and dry,
I'll swear I'll rob the folks I spy.
And if I ever break this oath,
I'll eat my boots, I'll eat them both!!"

Right there and then he galloped off,
To find himself a ghost.
And that same night he saw a sight,
That turned his teeth to toast.

He's come across a hideous ghoul,
Astride a rotten log.
It grinned a slimy, slippery grin,
And breathed a damp green fog.

Brown Bill stood fast beside his oath,
Fair dinkum and true blue.
He'd bounded himself to rob this fiend,
This dread pale Jackaroo.

He bit his tongue and grit his teeth,
And yelled courageously.
"You'll stand and you'll deliver, sir",
"Your wealth belongs to me".

And with a whine and hiss it spoke,
"Brown Bill, you've caught me fair".
"So come up to my camp with me,
My treasure's hidden there".

And like a flash, the ghost was off,
Away into the night.
Brown Bill stood still,
Upon his horse.
Three quarters dead from fright.

He hummed a hymn, and shook himself,
And rode in hot persuit.
Until he reached the Billabong,
Maloderous and mute.

Gross and gruesome monster ghosts,
Loathesome and befowled.
Begrimed beslimed and horrible,
They howled and scowled and growled.

They lumbered out and heaved about,
A moaning growning throng.
With dead and tuneless tongues they sang,
A monster welcome song.

"G'day and welcome Bad Brown Bill,
Where's your smile? You're looking ill.
We've got a nice surprise for you,
We thought we'd make Bush Ranger Stew".

"We'll chop and break, we'll bend and squeeze,
We'll mince your nose, and grind your knees.
We'll boil your bones in merry Hell,
We'll eat you up, your horse as well".

Brown Bill and Mudpie stood like stone,
Their faces long and grey.
Their arteries were full of lead,
Their bones where turned to clay.

Then something like a rusty spring,
Gave way in Brown Bill's head.
He ate his boots, and kicked his horse,
And like a gale they fled.

They wandered in the wilderness,
For forty days or so.
Brown Bill just shook his head and moaned,
And wallowed in his woe.

So Mudpie said her second line,
The last she ever spoke.
"You've had your day as 'Bad Brown Bill',
You're now a better bloke."

They bought a school house, by and by,
Where bush rangers were told.
The story of the oath he made,
And every heart turned cold.

Yes, everyone who heard the tale,
Went grey and shook with dread.
And swore they'd change their wicked ways,
And settle down instead.

So that's the reason why they say,
From Perth to Kimberley.
There's not a single bush ranger,
That's left alive to see.

But...Sometimes in the dead of night,
Perhaps you'll see them still.
The ghostly shapes of Mudpie,
And a bloke named Bad Brown Bill.

The End.

The pictures are absolutely fabulous, here are a couple:

- unfortunately this award winning book published in the 70's is out of print and very hard to find - but I did find this site- type in "the oath of bad brown bill" in their on-site search and you will see a copy.

Erin, it wasn't until you posted your info on pavlova that it dawned on me that it is not eaten world wide!!! - it is lovely Dawn, but can be tricky to make (so some say) of course I just buy the pavlova shells at the shops and just have to pop whipped cream and delicious fruit on top - - we just had it recently as part of our normal Christmas day range of desserts.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 03 2007 at 4:49am | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

Erin wrote:

You will not be able to make Vegemite as it is a manufactured product basically made from yeast, salt and malt extract. I have heard it said that it is not a taste to most Americans liking.

Vegemite is similar to our Marmite. I think part of the problem is that Americans don't know what to do with it . Spread very thinly on well-buttered toast, or very thinly in sandwiches after buttering both pieces of bread. It is very much a "love it or hate it" taste. However, slathering it onto a ham sandwich as I saw one American friend do turned even my Marmite-loving stomach.

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 03 2007 at 5:32am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Have to have a giggle. It is evening here and I had just finished scanning the pictures and I was laughing at Magpie's eyes in the last picture, the children were curious at what I was laughing at and then they realised it was "The Oath of Bad Brown Bill" - they insisted it be read as a bedtime story - they LOVE it!

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 03 2007 at 2:42pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Anne
This poem reminds me of a favourite of Dominic's 'Bold Bill Backward' unfortunatley I can't find the words on the 'net and my poetry books aren't at my new place yet

aussieannie wrote:

Erin, it wasn't until you posted your info on pavlova that it dawned on me that it is not eaten world wide!!! - it is lovely Dawn, but can be tricky to make (so some say) of course I just buy the pavlova shells at the shops and just have to pop whipped cream and delicious fruit on top - - we just had it recently as part of our normal Christmas day range of desserts.

Anne, my friend,
Shop bought pavlova just doesn't taste as nice as home made, it is not as difficult as you may think. Dominic(11) made ours this year. Talking about D. he wants to know if anyone in America tried to make it and what did they think?

Kathyrn,
I can't STAND marmite I think all these things are accquired tastes from birth. Take peanut butter and jelly my stomache rolls thinking of it. But then I understand why non-Australians wouldn't like vegemite.

BTW Anne love your pic, but I'm sure I remember your hair colour as blond?

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 03 2007 at 3:20pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Thanks for saying that Erin, because I had two aunts who used to make it for Dad and they had a running competition as to who could please Dad more! They always would be saying it was "such an art" "not easy to do" etc. etc. but maybe they were basking a bit in being the best pav makers in the clan!

This year in particular I have looked longingly at pav receipes and this one caught my eye:

I had really hoped to take a crack at it but money was tight and I couldn't afford a flop! I think I should make a pav for some other occasion throughout the year and give it a trial run then, if it works - I'm making that tree!!!

Erin, wouldn't it be nice to add a new tradition in cooking to the US via 4Real?    I am sure it would be a hit!

Erin wrote:
I'm sure I remember your hair colour as blond?

That's interesting....I must give off an 'aura' of being blond! - well I WAS blond as a child, and everyone was jet black (my sister Carmen, receives comments about being Spanish - the name cements her look, I think) - I used to think I was adopted so it went from blond to golden brown and then brown, but in photos it often looks darker...and by the time I embraced and accepted my brown hair, it started getting a bit of grey (mercury induced) so I use natural henna for a dark alburn (that has always been the colour I have always secretly desired ) but that photographs dark too..

BTW: Are my pictures too big? Do some have trouble seeing them - they open up quick for me...but maybe not for all..

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 03 2007 at 3:32pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

When I do finally make it Erin, I will pm you, so you can tell Dominic his receipe is getting round!

The picture above - they have used a piping bag to pipe round circles to different sizes for the layers and then piped little puff balls to hold up each layer - the cream made made fresh mango puree in it - and berries are SO yummy and SO festive looking (and healthy )

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 03 2007 at 4:19pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Well your pic looks gorgeous to me

We made two for Christmas and then when they were eaten two days later Dominic decided to make two more. Boxing Day he is sitting there enjoying his pav and saying "Those poor, poor Americans, no pavlova" shaking his head mournfully. He would LOVE for pav to become an American tradition.

Anne
your picture looks too ambitious too me to start with. Why don;t you give the receipe above a go for the Feast of the Ephiany and just top it with cream and passionfruit, bannanas and kiwifruit. The receipe makes two pav in smaller pie dishes, enough for a family of nine. It should only cost you the price of a dozen eggs and topping. A good way to seperate the eggs is to make a strainer with your fingers, they catch the yolk and the white runs through. Also DON"T wash your bowl only wipe prior to beating. (I know from sad experience )

Those aunts, we must be cousins I thought the same about sponges, I now have a fail proof receipe for sponges when you are ready I's still struggling with scones although Chiara,13 does a better job than me.

BTW I tried to pm you and your box is full.

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 03 2007 at 4:30pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

Erin wrote:
I's still struggling with scones although Chiara,13 does a better job than me.

I'm good on scones . I thought my recipe was foolproof until I gave it to my neighbour ... her family complained her scones tasted like "No More Nails" (a super-strength wood glue you use instead of nails) . After a post mortem we came to the conclusion she had got carried away with the baking powder. She hasn't lived it down, and has never dared try scones again since. Good job she has a sense of humour

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 03 2007 at 4:55pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Good idea Erin, I will do it! Can you tell me the size of your pie dishes?

Scones...I am never really successful with them, have you ladies have a fool-proof one to post?

Cleared my pm box a bit...should be right now Erin.

Dawnie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 03 2007 at 10:27pm | IP Logged Quote Dawnie

Hey Erin,

We haven't tried the pavlova yet...I was thinking of making one for dessert after Clara's baptism this Sunday, though. We have been on vacation from school for the past 6 weeks. We started back w/ the basics this week and I'm hoping to get back to touring Australia tomorrow!

Anyone have any books titles or Internet links for Bl. Mary MacKillop? (I hope I'm spelling that right)

Anne, I can see the pictures fine...but I have a high-speed Internet connection.

Dawn

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 03 2007 at 11:22pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Dawn, here are some links for you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_MacKillop
http://www.catholicculture.org/docs/doc_view.cfm?recnum=7014
http://www.sosj.org.au/mary/c_sydney.html
http://www.sosj.org.au/mary/

Sadly this holy Blessed has been used by her order (which is now very modern) due to her excommunication at one stage, to justify some of their more modern approachs to the church in general.

I have no books I can think of, maybe Erin can help there.

We have another holy Catholic woman that many are praying to and for her beatification in the future – her name is Eileen O’Connor, she was disabled from a childhood accident, had great devotion to Our Lady, founded an order of nuns to help the sick and died young. When her body was exhumed 16 years later, it was found to be beautifully incorrupt. Here is a link to her:

http://www.abc.net.au/perth/stories/s1265702.htm

We have some of Eileen’s hair and it was given to us by her order when we had my cousin (same age as me) become paraplegic in a car accident, interestingly enough his mother (my aunty) was directly related to Eileen and she had the same name as her – we prayed for a miracle through Eileen’s intercession – my cousin was not cured but his life changed dramatically for the good since the accident and that is a great answer to those prayers.

There are some great cartoon (well drawn b&w) books on the whole history of Catholicism in Australia, it shocked me to realise how persecuted Catholics were in the beginning...for quite a while.

God Bless, Anne

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 26 2007 at 2:10am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Dawnie, today (26th of January) is Australia Day! On this day in 1788 the first fleet arrived in Botany Bay, but there is also this little unknown fact on this same day too.....Catholic History of Australia here you will read:

The Laperouse

Expedition from France was in Sydney harbour on 26th January 1788 and one of the two Catholic priests with the French expedition died and was buried at what is known as La Perouse in Sydney today. So one of the first, if not the first burial of a European to take place in Australia on the East Coast was a Catholic Priest, Fr. Receveur, a Franciscan. It is highly suspected that the first Mass would have been offered on Australian soil for the first time.

Maybe some Australian cooking would be great for today....sorry for the short notice!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version