Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Did I miss something? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 05 2006 at 8:47am | IP Logged Quote Martha

8kids4me wrote:

When I was a week overdue with my first, I took a long bike ride(over lots of railroad tracks), he was two and a half weeks overdue.    That's what I get for trying to rush things!!

My dh was never as attractive as he was during those last 4 weeks of pregnancy with our first. That boy was 2 weeks to the day over due and we did *everything* we could to get him in our arms sooner. We just couldn't wait to hold him.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 05 2006 at 8:55am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Martha, my first was 2 weeks to the day over due also! I'm sure I logged 10 miles around our apartment complex then!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 05 2006 at 2:47pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

Michele,
Over here the routine is an appointment with an obstetrician to discuss options if you get to 41 weeks. Before that it is barely counted as overdue .

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

StephanieA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 05 2006 at 3:50pm | IP Logged Quote StephanieA

Doctors here rountinely order every test available. It is very aggravating. I was suppose to go for all these tests a week before #5 was due. I just kept putting the doctor off. My 2 and 3 kids were just under 10 lbs. The latter kids were 8.5 lbs. I have a feeling though that this baby will be as large as the boys and I have 5 more weeks to go.
We are having a homebirth just because I am trying to avoid all those tests, but honestly, I am not super-comfortable with the idea since I am 42 and have had 2 serious problems with #1 and #2. The rest of the deliveries were much better.
The hospitals here though are very hard to work with and doctors are scared stiff with malpractice suits. In fact, both of my former obstetricians that I liked very much quit because of the pressure and the insurance.
Blessings,
STephanie
Back to Top View StephanieA's Profile Search for other posts by StephanieA

Angela F
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 05 2006 at 3:50pm | IP Logged Quote Angela F

Is it boys that like to be overdue??? At least it looks that way for Martha, and Lisa and me!! My only boy was two weeks overdue and we tried everything - I never paced so much during rosaries in my life! In the end he just got too big - he was over 10 pounds. They induced, and he tore my cervix! I had to go to surgery to get it repaired.

So the next baby, I agreed to be induced at the due date. She was looking big on the ultrasound, and she was. Almost 10 pounds. And it was the most painful of all my experiences. I asked for some pain meds too late, I think.

Anyone have any thoughts for me this time around??? My OB is new to me, but she is - in a word - awesome! She is laid back, thinks it's no big deal that this is my 7th pregnancy, and also thinks it's no big deal that I'm 38!! She had her last one when she was 38! She feels that sometimes maybe the uterus just doesn't want to cooperate! All I know, is I don't want to be going to surgery again for a torn cervix, therefore I'm a bit nervous to go too long.

You moms all inspire me! Blessed Advent to you all.
God bless,
Angela

Back to Top View Angela F's Profile Search for other posts by Angela F

humanaevitae
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 05 2006 at 9:21pm | IP Logged Quote humanaevitae

I think some Drs have experienced or personally heard about a bad outcome from an overdue baby. Sure they don't want to be sued but most of all they don't want a bad outcome. They went into medicine to help people achieve optimal health. One bad outcome can make one a bit gunshy and cautious.

Could these tests potentially harm the baby?

kingvozzo
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 05 2006 at 10:10pm | IP Logged Quote kingvozzo

humanaevitae wrote:
Sure they don't want to be sued but most of all they don't want a bad outcome. They went into medicine to help people achieve optimal health.

This is true, and I don't want to sound like I'm bashing dr.s. But I think that sometimes the recommendations being made are not based on the medical aspects, but on the legal risks.

Back to Top View kingvozzo's Profile Search for other posts by kingvozzo

saintanneshs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 06 2006 at 7:13am | IP Logged Quote saintanneshs

I'm with you Angela! I hate being induced but I think it's the lesser of the two (when choosing between that and difficult recoveries from large babies).

My babies are always big (I'm tall and dh is 6ft.6) and I've been induced with every one (not by choice but I was too afraid they's get stuck if I waited as long to deliver as I did with #2 who was 9.10 two weeks early and transverse...talk about a painful delivery and a long, difficult recovery)

Truth is, I'm more motivated by fear of not being able to get the baby out and having to undergo a c-section. I don't have as much help as I'd need to recover from a c-section and induction is a dream for my farmer husband (who likes to be able to get the cows and everything else ready ahead of time ) ...I'd love to go into labor naturally and have just one "normal" delivery...maybe this time (#5) will be the one...

Thinking of you today, Michele ...and saying a little prayer that your doc doesn't make you too crazy just before your big day!

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 06 2006 at 2:22pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

My sil and I joke that every time we get pregnant it seems like some rule has changed.

She and I both noticed with our last pregnancies that doctors are no longer ok with going to 42 weeks. Now 41 weeks is the limit and 40 weeks is when they start ordering NST's and such. I managed to avoid some of this the last time by using CNM's but they aren't in practice anymore and I don't know what I'm going to do if the Lord blesses us again.

I find the whole thing very aggravating. I've always been overdue according to those charts, but haven't yet had even one 8 lb baby (all around 7 lbs). I can't imagine how small they might have been if I had delivered between 37 and 40 weeks.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 06 2006 at 3:07pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

Someone I know makes up dates of lmp to avoid some of this. Since she doesn't have real regular cycles anyways, it would be totally unhelpful to say well my lmp was 6 months ago and she is mostly guessing anyways. She gives herself a bit of a cushion when she comes up with the date. Then if she feels a need for further investigation, she can always say she thinks she calculated incorrectly or misread her records. I've also known people to cancel appointments (when you have a large family there is always something that would make you reschedule) or bring in the children so they didn't do pelvics (gee sorry, maybe next time as I just couldn't leave them this week).

Around here the medical situation is tough as there is no competition and any doctor that does things differently from the others is driven out of town, so I can tell you all kinds of ways that people have jury rigged things to get what they believed best for the baby. I even know a mom who labored in the parking lot until she knew she was well into transition and the doctors wouldn't have a ton of time to mess with her. They learned how to listen for the heartbeat etc. so they could keep up some degree of monitoring.

Big babies are not necessarily tougher. I've never been overdue but I have had 10 and 11 pound babies. My only tear was with the 6 pound 12 oz baby. My only difficulty with the 11 pounder was shoulder pain from holding him up to nurse (solved with pillows and a sock of microwaved rice). My 10 pounder had slight shoulder stickiness but was only 5 pushes and no tears. I also know a woman who had "CPD" with her first 7 pounder baby (c-section) who was determined to go elsewhere for a number of reasons. Her next baby was 11 pounds, she had no trouble delivering vaginally and with no episiotomy or tears. Obviously there is something besides just being big that is causing the problems. Sometimes it can be impatient, fundus fiddling attendants or attendants who panic at big babies and try to "help" them turn for the shoulders, sometimes it is just not waiting for things to take their own pattern, sometimes it is the position of the baby and rarely it truely is something in the anatomy of the mom. As long as mom and baby are doing fine, then there shouldn't be a big panic about any of this.

Funny how things have changed. I didn't realize that now any babies over 8lb something are considered at risk for blood sugar issues. Since we had ours at home, we just nursed and babies were fine. I did go in after the 11 pounder just to make sure I didn't have a blood sugar problem myself. All but 1 of my 6 would have been considered "at risk" and taken away to be fed a bunch of sugar water though none had any problems. Thankfully we were at home and left to nurse in peace!

By the way, I am short and not particularly athletic. I'd say not to necessarily worry that the next baby will follow other baby's patterns unless the doc has real good reasons for saying that there is a real difficulty (something other than the general panic over bigger babies).

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 06 2006 at 4:51pm | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

Elizabeth wrote:
If you are over 35 and have had more than 5 babies, you are an "elderly grand multipara." Really.

Lately these boards are making me feel just ancient.

shartlesville
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 06 2006 at 7:15pm | IP Logged Quote shartlesville

MicheleQ wrote:
shartlesville wrote:
Michelle did you change the name of your sewing/knitting blog? Or is my memory worse than I think it is.   

I really like the name.

Blessings,
Krisann

Yes I changed it back in September.

Thanks Krisann - I'm happy with the name now - I think I'll keep it.

Ok, so I am a little behind.

Blessings,
Krisann

DGC Kira, Auston, Travis, & Sarah.
My Blog: Isla del Esperanza
Back to Top View shartlesville's Profile Search for other posts by shartlesville Visit shartlesville's Homepage

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 06 2006 at 7:51pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

I'm a little mama, and I have delived a 5 that were between 9.5 and 9.14. My 5th was 9.9 and just over two weeks early.    They were no different to me than my 6.13 Molly Mae!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet