Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Overwhelmed with Advent Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JSchaaf
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 29 2006 at 10:44pm | IP Logged Quote JSchaaf

I really, really want to start making the Liturgical Year a focus in our home. And I really, really want to start with Advent. My plan (there's always a plan) is to stick with the basics-math, phonics, copywork, latin, and violin-and then do all these great things I've seen here and on blogs. Advent crafts. Jan Brett lapbooks. Tomie dePaola Advent/Christmas studies. Catholic Mosiac. I want to do it all. But I've never done a notebook or lapbook and I'm craft impaired. I guess I'm looking for some guidance on what is realistic to do. Do I spend a day on each book? A week? I have all the books for the dePaola studies (thanks to all you awesome ladies!) and have just discovered the Jan Brett books and LOVE them. And the Mosiac books are wonderful. My girls are young so still need lots of direction. HELP!!
Starting to panic in Texas,
Jennifer
Back to Top View JSchaaf's Profile Search for other posts by JSchaaf

Courtney
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 29 2006 at 10:58pm | IP Logged Quote Courtney

Jennifer, I feel your pain! I've felt that desire to do it all and practically driven myself nuts . My experience is that things run smoother (and I'm more sane) if I pick one main idea for advent. For example, two years ago we did the Tomie DePaola unit. Last year we did a St.Nicholas study and lapbook. This year we're going to do the Jan Brett unit. We will do some Catholic Mosaic as well.

I'm finally learning (we've been trying to finish a lapbook on China) that I really need to have some things for the lapbooks prepared ahead of time. For example, last year they colored and cut out a picture of St. Nicholas. I went ahead and cut out several more pieces of paper in the shape of the St. Nicholas for them to use for a booklet (with the colored picture as the cover). THey would've been frustrated and lost interest if I had had them cut out those pieces of paper or if they had to wait on me to do it. I have to balance giving them creative input into the lapbook with also giving them a springboard of ideas. Take a look at some of the lapbooks that people have posted pictures of. Plan for maybe one page a day to be completed. This is how it's worked best for me. I'm sure some of the other wonderful and experienced ladies her can offer you more suggestions.

Back to Top View Courtney's Profile Search for other posts by Courtney

mrsgranola
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 29 2006 at 11:00pm | IP Logged Quote mrsgranola

Jennifer, I could have written much the same note!

I think most people divide up the books and activities so you don't have everything piled up to the end of the week or the end of the season. I hope to try the St. Nick books and crafts a few before his feast and then some stuff on the feast day, as well. Then I'll start on the Tomie goodies.

Notebooks: Just think of an old-fashioned scrapbook, not a modern day, spend-all-week with fancy accessories scrapbook. I'm trying to let go of my underground perfectionism so I actually do some more crafts and scrapbooks eventually!

I even made homemade wrapping paper with the kids yetserday with freezer paper and wrapping paper melted together with crayon bits sandwiched between! I felt so liberated!

OH and don't remind me about the Jan Brett books too much! I was just starting to think I could do the Mosaic and Tomie stuff and then you had to go and remind me of all the good Jan Brett stuff...

JoAnna

Molly Smith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 30 2006 at 5:41am | IP Logged Quote Molly Smith

Gosh, I know someone who just yesterday was expressing these same feelings to me ! I'm going to try to just pick one or two new things from all of the wonderful things you ladies do for Advent and try to push all of the other wonderful ideas out of my wee little brain. It certainly can be overwhelming and I often want to go live with any number of you all , and then I remember that we've been building our own little traditions along the way and adding just one or two things will freshen us up without making us crazy.

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 30 2006 at 5:56am | IP Logged Quote Bridget

I am sure we will do some kind of crafty thing this Advent, but I have so much going on right now. We will probably just keep plugging away at our regular school work and not try to do all these fun ideas.

The main things I want for us this Advent are to get to daily Mass more often and bake cookies. (Priorities, ya know.)

Just decide on one aspect or learning project to focus on this year. There will be many more Advents to come.

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 30 2006 at 6:22am | IP Logged Quote Erin

The trick is to not try and do it all or you will do nothing. I know because I never did anything well.

We don't do a great deal of formal work at this time of the year. We finish up our maths books and usually for language arts do a focus on spelling(as I moan that once again they are such POOR spellers)

Then we focus on Advent activites, lots of crafts and books go down well. This week we are doing a St Nicholas unit, very doable (thaks Katherine) then we may do SOME of Elizabeth's De Paoloa unit.

Just start small, baby steps, one new activity at a time and then next add another idea.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 30 2006 at 6:47am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Vote. It's a very democratic thing to do! We did and Jan Brett is the winner.

I really was leaning towards St. Nicholas but the library didn't have hardly anything, so sad.

Though they had a ton of versions of Twas the Night Before Christmas so we ordered 5 of them. We'll compare, contrast, discuss one week. It should be very interesting and very low key. We are in such turmoil right now low key is very, very important.

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 30 2006 at 7:34am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

The other side of it is that you don't HAVE to do the unit parts of these -- read the Brett books one week, dePaola another, St. Nick this next week. Just read and go with the books -- see where your kids lead you on this.

We did this last year. I tried to have all different kinds of things ready -- stuff to bake with, crafts to do, videos that might work, etc. When we read the dePaola books, we didn't/couldn't do ALL the things Elizabeth suggested, but I let the kids show me what they wanted to take out of the books -- drawing, narrating, having fun.

Don't stress over Advent, you'll never get through Christmas!

Remember, that this is supposed to be real learning -- kids learn when they're engaged, not when mom is stressed trying to do it all.....

Hugs and prayers for you to enjoy this Advent with your children....while learning

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 30 2006 at 9:26am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Jennifer,

I know your pain and your panic. They are all just ideas. Your girls are young, and you have many Advents ahead of you to do some of these ideas.

I hosted the Advent Fair, but I promise you I'm not doing even 1/3 of the things mentioned. I get overwhelmed so easily during this season. There is too much to do. I'm now sitting on the couch with my foot elevated, my son has a bad cold, and we're sinking into a backlog of home duties minute by minute.

But after many years of fighting this cross, I've learned that I can't do it all, even though I would like to do so, and I have to choose. I ask my dh what things are most important to him--foods, traditions, etc. I have my mother-in-law staying with us this holiday, so I plan activities with her visit in mind -- scheduling cleaning and decorating before she comes.

I also learned that Christmas isn't over after December 25, so some ideas and projects work great in January, during the Christmas season. Not everything has to be crammed during Advent....I've been known to send Christmas cards out AFTER Christmas day, or do some Christmas baking during the Christmas season, not Advent.

So I break it up in small parts, such as

1) Traditions and decorations through the whole Advent: example such as the Advent Wreath, Preparing the Manger, purple decor, Advent Calendar. These require minimal preparation, and are daily reminders of the liturgical season. Add Advent music/singing to this list, too.

In my mind, these are minimal things (and you don't need to do them all). If all I do is have dinner on the table and we pray and light the Advent Wreath I feel I haven't blown it the season. You see, here have been years that we didn't light it one single time, so I keep my expectations low.

2) Feast days in Advent: choose one or two that you will really celebrate, like Nicholas, Guadalupe, Immaculate Conception and then keep minimal observation for the others.

For each feast day decide what do you want to do for this feast? Picture book, discussion, coloring page, special food, special craft, music? Display pictures, symbols? If you want to concentrate on St. Nicholas, focus on that, but don't take off large chunks for other feasts, too. That would be too much.

If I remember correctly, one year Cay took the month off from school and made the Advent activities her schooling. I wouldn't try to tackle units or lapbooks unless I removed something else from the schedule. I'm looking forward to Elizabeth's Tomie unit because it encompasses all of Advent season so wonderfully, but also academic areas.

And also remember, Jennifer, that many of these ideas were created by the moms who are home. You have been travelling, and now you're playing catch-up. I know--because I'm going through the same thing. I realize the wisdom of bringing out the Advent and Christmas planners in October...I would have never figured that out on my own.

This Advent I'm a minimalist again, but I'm using this time to make plans and organize so maybe next year we can add more. But we'll see what God has in store for us.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 30 2006 at 10:38am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

I so know where you are coming from! I have been looking at all of these wonderful ideas and getting more and more overwhelmed as each day passes and advent grows nearer. A large part of my problem is that we just closed on our new house yesterday and so we will be moving this month. Worst possible timing, but there you have it. So I really am going to have to pare down on EVERYTHING for now. My Biology unit, my American History unit, Advent and Christmas activities All on hold. Even *gasp* nature study!
So I look with longing on what everyone else is doing and have to keep reminding myself that Advent comes every year. I will try to do as others have suggested and pick just one thing to try to do school-wise for advent. If I can do that then I have been successful.
So, no real advice, but just saying that I am right there with you.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 30 2006 at 11:21am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Congratulations, Theresa!

I too am looking at a possible move, we have to decide by the first (Is that tomorrow?!?) whether to give our one month notice here, we'd spend New Year's Eve sailing then! I guess the Christmas lights would have to come off the rigging...

Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 30 2006 at 11:53am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Thanks, Jennifer!
Are you headed to Key West?

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 30 2006 at 12:28pm | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

YES!!!!! And can't wait!!!!! (Marianna here )

Indeed! Dh started his job this past Monday in Key West and we are hoping to get into Boca Chica Marina.

Oh my gosh! The things you can find online! I was hoping to grab a picture of the beach but instead found these great arials. Here is a larger picture of the Airfield and a closer one of Boca Chica Marina itself. Click on the box in the lower right corner to get closer and then scroll around to see the three docks. You can even see the boats trashed on top of the docks from Wilma. All are newly rebuilt now for us! The square blue building is the showers and bathrooms while the rectangular blue building is the cafe/tiki bar right on that gorgeous beach.

kjohnson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 30 2006 at 1:50pm | IP Logged Quote kjohnson

I was just reading through these posts and wanted to share my thoughts on planning for Advent. I've posted a lot of Advent projects on my blog lately, but we have cut WAY, WAY back on school to accomodate them. Since Monday we are only spending about an hour a day on the basics and have dropped all history, nature, picture study, literature, etc... until after Epiphany. There is no way we could get through even one major Advent project with a full school load. If we weren't expecting a new baby in the spring I probably would just cut it all and concentrate only on the liturgical season at hand. But since I don't know how long we will need off at the end of this pregnancy and after the birth, I am continuing with the basics.

Another thing that is particular to our family is that as Jenn said, like the other moms who have been doing a lot of planning, I am at home A LOT right now. I have fought early contractions in this pregnancy and have developed sciatic nerve problems and only get out when we have an essential activity. My husband has also been travelling extensively, so in order to combat some loneliness and boredom, I've had the opportunity to do more planning and preparing.

The 2nd factor that differientiates our family this year is that the only Christmas preparation that my kids have memory of is the Nativity Fast of the Eastern Orthodox Church. I'm so excited about the opportunity to immerse my children in Advent in the tradition of the Catholic Church. You could say that I have quite a shot in the arm this year, and that may be something that is a one time experience.

But I agree with all the wonderful thoughts shared on this thread: reducing our regular schooling schedules and concentrating on just one thing at a time. Hey, I wrote that St. Nicholas Unit and WE'RE BEHIND! And I wish I had enough energy and time to do Elizabeth's Jan Brett units, but will probably have to wait until next year. But I'm thankful we have things to look forward to.

With all things, the fewer things we try to do and do well are much more enjoyable and fruitful than failing miserably at an attempt to do it all. (I've learned that the hard way.) No one does it all.

I hope you all have a wonderful Advent and I have really enjoyed reading about everyone else's traditions and ideas.    

Back to Top View kjohnson's Profile Search for other posts by kjohnson

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 30 2006 at 2:26pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

We are going to take the 4 weeks "off" for Advent. We have a fairly strict schedule until Advent and everyone is looking forward to breaking with the usual schedule. My 10 year old will do one Math lesson every day and my 7 year olds will be doing a Calculadder drill every day just to keep Math ticking over. But the rest of the activities will be focused on the season - lots of reading and crafts and some narration and copywork.
I too tend to feel overwhelmed. So I try to get all the shopping and Christmas cards done in Nov. This year I have written a fairly detailed plan for Advent and Christmas - ie what books we are reading, what crafts we are doing, what gifts we are making, what cookies we are baking, what activities etc- and that gives me an illusion of control. But I keep reminding myself that the wonderful thing about the Liturgical Year is that Advent will be here again next year - and what we do not do this year, we will do next year - and I will have my written plan with links.

I am also attempting to ditch my perfectionist tendencies and just let the kids get stuck in with scrapbooks - I do not know enough yet about lapbooks and I am not over crafty.

This year should be interesting - morning sickness has hit very early - so I just have to take it moment by moment!!!

Marilyn
Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 30 2006 at 6:09pm | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

I'm just reading the Tomie and Jan Brett books this year. We are doing a St. Nicholas unit (thank you Katherine) but it is simpler b/c of not having some of the books. Also, I wrote down our ideas and activities which are more one day and less the next. Clear,huh?
For example....

Dec. 13th Feast of St.Lucy~read a story about St. Lucy, pray for our Great Aunt Lucy's soul and for those who are blind and/or have vision problems, write down beautiful things we have witness through our eyesight,eat dinner by candlelight

Easy but still enjoyable and taking time to honor a saint in heaven.

Don't stress Jen...you will do a great job in whatever Advent activites and ideas you work on...

God bless,

Marybeth

JuliaT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 30 2006 at 8:27pm | IP Logged Quote JuliaT

I pick one extra to do during the Christmas season. Two years ago it was the Tomie DePaola unit. Last year we did another online study. This year we are going to do lapbooks for a St. Nicholas unit. We cut back on school with just doing math. I figure the lapbook will incorporate all of the other subjects. Then we will also spend time baking and decorating the house.

As far as the lapbooks go, I find them stressful because I have to do most of the work. I am going to attempt another one because my dd is now 7. I am hoping that she will be able to do a bit more this year.

I have just started notebooking. I find this easier than lapbooks. My dd does most of this on her own. There isn't any folding or cutting. She loves to use my scrapbooking materials. This is turning out to be a positive experience for us.

Blessings,
Julia
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Juliainsk
Back to Top View JuliaT's Profile Search for other posts by JuliaT

JSchaaf
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 03 2006 at 9:09pm | IP Logged Quote JSchaaf

Thank you SO MUCH! I was in tears trying to figure out how to have the best, most meaningful Advent EVER.   

We are going to concentrate on the upcoming feast days and read the Tomie dePaola books. I will plan/prepare some activities but I will keep my expectations low. Today we read Merry Christmas, Strega Nona and baked cookies. I still have to scrounge/make/buy an Advent wreath, so hopefully we'll have candles to light sometime this week.

Thanks for all your words of encouragement!
Jennifer
Back to Top View JSchaaf's Profile Search for other posts by JSchaaf

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 03 2006 at 9:17pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

My inclination would be to read the books on the couch and just let each one speak for itself without feeling the need to lapbook or do anything else for now. Reading all those lovely books will be a pleasure for you and create memories to last a lifetime. Save the lapbooking and everything else for next year (or maybe the following year) unless you are really in the mood to do it.

Nothing beats those cozy moments with a good read aloud, especially while the children are still young!

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

MichelleW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 03 2006 at 9:52pm | IP Logged Quote MichelleW

I want to encourage you to differentiate between a a "best most meaningful Advent" for YOU and a "best most meaningful Advent" for your FAMILY.

YOU will have a meaningful Advent if you take time to rest in the Lord. A cup of tea and a stolen moment of prayer, a snuggle with a child and whispered "Thank you for this child and this snuggle, My God." Take some time and watch your kids faces this season. Enjoy this time. Advent is not about a flurry of activity. It is about waiting for the Promise.

Your FAMILY will have a meaningful Advent if you let them enjoy the waiting. I agree with Alice, nothing beats cozy moments with a good read aloud. Afterwards, sit on the couch all snuggly and just talk about the season (and listen). It will happen.

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version