Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: stories about advent... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
CathinCoffeland
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 29 2006 at 6:01pm | IP Logged Quote CathinCoffeland

I found 2 actual advent picture books today...not that you needed more books but since you ladies are always breaking my book budget id thought id return the favor

The first I cried all the way through but since im expecting that is typical right now
It is called WAITING FOR NOEL-AN ADVENT STORY by ANN DIXON it is put out by Eerdmans books

it is about a father telling a little girl about waiting for her birth on christmas day while lighting the advent candles. it is short but just lovely.

my little one isnt due until a few weeks after christmas but boy i love being pregnant this time on year.

The second is part of a collection called "Traditions of faith from around the world" the title is WAITING FOR CHRISTMAS-A STORY ABOUT THE ADVENT CALENDAR by KATHLEEN LONG BOSTROM put out by zonderkidz

It tells the story of a little boy in 19th century germany and his advent calendar traditions. as a caveat he is the son of a protestant pastor (though there is a lovely statue of our lady in their church ) I really liked the emphasis on waiting. In the authors notes it says that the boy was a real person who created the first commercially sold advent calendars as an adult but of course the traditions are much older than that. Again lovely art and it comes with a little sticker advent calendar.

We also have the Silent night book and the polish straw tradition one in the series. I highly recommend the Polish one- MARTA AND THE MANGER STRAW for during the christmas season. we got it last year and it made me cry too and i wasnt even pregnant!

There are others but we dont have them.

Happy advent reading
maggie
Back to Top View CathinCoffeland's Profile Search for other posts by CathinCoffeland Visit CathinCoffeland's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version