Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Stir Up Sunday (Rebecca)... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Cici
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 27 2006 at 12:46pm | IP Logged Quote Cici

Or anyone else with an easy recipe. I know you have important things to do - like getting ready to celebrate Advent with your own family, but did you find that recipe yet?

I have the Bogle book, and it has a recipe in it. But I'm afraid to try it. Fruit cake gets such a bad rap, I've never tasted it, and I'd like to try one that we might actually eat - or does it really matter?

Does everyone actually eat the fruitcake they make on Stir up Sunday?

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 27 2006 at 12:53pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Glad you brought this up, Cici.

I'm confused.

Catholic Culture says Stir-up Sunday is on the first Sunday of Advent, but I have other sources that say it's the Sunday BEFORE the first Sunday of Advent, which, if you're making a fruitcake, makes sense, since it needs to cure at least 4 weeks before Christmas. However, if it's Christmas pudding, then the first Sunday is okay since the pudding gets stirred and steamed then, then reheated and flamed at Christmas Eve.... right?

Help, Jenn or anyone else?

Oh and Cici, I have several recipes, but most of them we haven't tried; I just collect them because we *love* fruitcake. I was going to do a chocolate fruitcake one this year -- from the book by Truman Capote's aunt(?), but I'm too late starting. So I'll be macerating the fruits right now, baking next week or maybe even the week after that, hopefully to be ready by Epiphany (because it's also my birthday, not because fruitcake is relevant to that day), and if not, by Valentine's Day!

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 27 2006 at 12:59pm | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

I have a fruitcake recipe my DH loves...

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

Genevieve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 27 2006 at 1:29pm | IP Logged Quote Genevieve

Stef, Rachel could you share the recipe? I love fruitcakes but never made one.

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 27 2006 at 2:50pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

Cici,

I will post the recipe this evening. It us a white fruitcake. I am not fond of regular fruitcake but really like the white one. You can use your own choice of dried fruits-whatever you like. It is simple to make and can actually be eaten right away (does not have to cure like traditional fruitcakes). We store ours in a tin until Christmas Eve.

We have always stirred up on the first Sunday but I have also read the variation that Stef mentioned.
Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 27 2006 at 3:15pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

stefoodie wrote:
Glad you brought this up, Cici.

I'm confused.

Catholic Culture says Stir-up Sunday is on the first Sunday of Advent, but I have other sources that say it's the Sunday BEFORE the first Sunday of Advent, which, if you're making a fruitcake, makes sense, since it needs to cure at least 4 weeks before Christmas. However, if it's Christmas pudding, then the first Sunday is okay since the pudding gets stirred and steamed then, then reheated and flamed at Christmas Eve.... right?

Help, Jenn or anyone else?

I can answer this...yea! The reason why it's called "Stir-up Sunday" is from the original Collect or Opening Prayer of the Mass on the First Sunday of Advent. These older prayers are used for the Advent wreath here
First Sunday of Advent: O Lord, stir up Thy might, we beg Thee, and come, That by Thy protection we may deserve to be rescued from the threatening dangers of our sins and saved by Thy deliverance. Through Christ our Lord.

The cake is stirred, steamed and kept like a fruitcake and not served until Christmas, to allow the flavors to soak in.

We are not big fruitcake fans here, either. For the act of "stirring up" I'd make any type of recipe and have all the family take a stir.

And since I have no way of steaming a pudding at this point, I'm not tackling the fruitcake or pudding this year.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 27 2006 at 3:21pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

stefoodie wrote:

I think the correct date for Stir-Up Sunday is the Sunday before Advent, as the collect prayer in the liturgy of the Church of England for that day begins "Stir up, we beseech thee, O Lord, the wills of thy faithful people ...".

Both fruitcakes and Christmas puddings need some time to develop, but how long depends on how rich they are rather than whether it is a cake or a pudding. Our family pudding recipe is a light one with no alcohol, but it is still best made by early December. You can find the recipe here. A rich one would need to be made a bit earlier to be at its best.

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 27 2006 at 3:25pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

Hey Jenn - we were both writing at the same time . It looks as though both dates are correct, depending whether you look at the Roman or Anglican liturgy. My guess is that as stirring up Christmas cakes and puddings is an English tradition, the Church of England date must be the "real" stir-up Sunday. What do you think?

You don't need a steamer to make a Christmas pudding - you can just place it in water on the bottom of a pan and boil it (make sure the water doesn't come up as far as the top of the pudding basin).

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 27 2006 at 3:26pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Oh, dear. Is it the first sunday or the sunday before (last sunday?)? I would hate to think we had missed it as I had actual plans for this one!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 27 2006 at 3:32pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Kathryn UK wrote:
Hey Jenn - we were both writing at the same time . It looks as though both dates are correct, depending whether you look at the Roman or Anglican liturgy. My guess is that as stirring up Christmas cakes and puddings is an English tradition, the Church of England date must be the "real" stir-up Sunday. What do you think?

You don't need a steamer to make a Christmas pudding - you can just place it in water on the bottom of a pan and boil it (make sure the water doesn't come up as far as the top of the pudding basin).

It's an interesting question. I think the stir-up predates the Church of England, but then again, who knows? I'd say it matches whichever you choose! I'll pick first Sunday of Advent.

Thanks for the tip for steaming....

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 27 2006 at 4:17pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

JennGM wrote:
It's an interesting question. I think the stir-up predates the Church of England, but then again, who knows? I'd say it matches whichever you choose! I'll pick first Sunday of Advent.

I think the Book of Common Prayer was more or less a straight translation of the pre-Reformation Sarum Rite which pre-dates the Tridentine liturgy, so the Anglican "stir up" may be older in origin than ours. It would take more time and liturgical resources than I have to check it out, though.

And I agree. Choose either! I'm cheating by making puddings on a weekday anyway

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 27 2006 at 4:28pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Kathryn UK wrote:
JennGM wrote:

I think the Book of Common Prayer was more or less a straight translation of the pre-Reformation Sarum Rite which pre-dates the Tridentine liturgy, so the Anglican "stir up" may be older in origin than ours. It would take more time and liturgical resources than I have to check it out, though.

Oh, you are so sweet to write it that way. Of course you are correct. I'm not really versed in Anglican liturgy. I'm learning something new today. I just never noticed that there was a conflict of dates!!!

Cici
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 27 2006 at 7:58pm | IP Logged Quote Cici

stefoodie wrote:
I just collect them because we *love* fruitcake.

So, you mean the fruitcake jokes (being bricks, really old as they get "regifted" year after year) are just...jokes?

Hmnnn...I'll try Rebecca's "white" this year because it will be ready in time. Maybe next year we'll try a different one...

I'm feeling so adventurous!!!   

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 27 2006 at 8:24pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

Cici, I posted the recipe here. I hope you like it!

kjohnson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 27 2006 at 9:36pm | IP Logged Quote kjohnson

I've never heard of Stir-up Sunday until now and Rebecca's recipe looks delicious (and I don't even like fruitcake!). We're going to try it. Thanks for another great idea girls.

Back to Top View kjohnson's Profile Search for other posts by kjohnson

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 27 2006 at 9:52pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

I think I'll try Rebecca's also, as it just sounds simpler to a simpleton like me!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 27 2006 at 10:03pm | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Kathryn! I didn't know you had a cooking blog! The recipe is perfect - I can steam, I just can't bake!

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 27 2006 at 10:05pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

Thanks ladies! One of the reasons that I like that recipe is that you can customize the fruit and nuts to your liking. You do not have to add anything that does not appeal to you, just so long as the total amount is 7 1/2 cups.

Have fun!

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2006 at 4:57am | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

marihalojen wrote:
Kathryn! I didn't know you had a cooking blog! The recipe is perfect - I can steam, I just can't bake!

I didn't have a cooking blog - I only just started it

The Bookworm's Cook Book

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2006 at 5:16am | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

JennGM wrote:
Kathryn UK wrote:

I think the Book of Common Prayer was more or less a straight translation of the pre-Reformation Sarum Rite which pre-dates the Tridentine liturgy, so the Anglican "stir up" may be older in origin than ours.

I'm not really versed in Anglican liturgy. I'm learning something new today. I just never noticed that there was a conflict of date s!!!

Jenn, the mystery deepens ... out of curiosity I looked up the liturgy for the First Sunday of Advent and the last Sunday of the Year in an old Tridentine missal (a 1932 edition). Here is the collect for the last Sunday from the missal:
Quicken, we beseech thee, O Lord, the wills of thy faithful; that they, more earnestly seeking after the fruit of divine grace, may more abundantly receive the healing gifts of thy mercy

And here is the Book of Common Prayer version (I found this through Google, and haven't checked it with the BCP):
Stir-up, we beseech thee, O Lord, the wills of thy faithful people; that they, plenteously bringing forth the fruit of good works, may of thee be plenteously rewarded

Clearly just different translations of the same original.

The translation of the collect for the First Sunday of Advent in my Missal is:
Raise up, we beseech thee, O Lord, thy power, and come; that by thy protection we may deserve to be rescued from the threatening dangers of our sins, and to be saved by thy deliverance.
Slightly different from yours, but again obviously just different translation. I don't have a BCP to hand, but I'm guessing that the First Sunday of Advent collect will also start "stir up" ... which would make both dates for Stir-Up Sunday correct and entirely a matter of choice

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version