Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
The Arts in the Everyday
 4Real Forums : The Arts in the Everyday
Subject Topic: December Artist Study: Matisse Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 26 2006 at 7:17pm | IP Logged Quote amyable

Please excuse this bare bones study this month...I'm hoping that everyone can contribute what they know and enjoy also.

This month's artist study is on Henri Matisse, who was born Dec. 31, 1869, in France, and died Nov. 3, 1954.

(just fyi, there are a goodly number of nudes among Matisse's work...the Matisse for Kids below is "nude free" )

Some biographies:

From WebMuseum

From Artchive

From Artcyclopedia

Some interesting links:

The Matisse Museum in Nice, France

Matisse for Kids - an interactive activity from Baltimore Museum of Art

Pictures to follow...

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 26 2006 at 7:28pm | IP Logged Quote amyable

Madame Matisse: madras rouge. 1907. Oil on canvas. Barnes Foundation, Lincoln University, Merion, PA, USA.

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 26 2006 at 7:31pm | IP Logged Quote amyable

Red Fish, 1911. Oil on canvas. The Pushkin Museum of Fine Art, Moscow, Russia

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 26 2006 at 7:33pm | IP Logged Quote amyable

The Painter's Family, 1911. Oil on canvas. The Hermitage, St. Petersburg, Russia

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 26 2006 at 7:37pm | IP Logged Quote amyable

Icarus.1947. Illustration for the book 'Jazz', screen-print after gouache on paper cut-out

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 27 2006 at 12:37am | IP Logged Quote Chari

Thanks, Amy! We are doing Matisse soon, so I appreciate your research! Great job!

julia s.
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 30 2006 at 10:34am | IP Logged Quote julia s.

Amy,
Thank you! This came just in time. You did a great job. The Baltimore Museum of Art website complimented what the kids were learning in their art class and Matisse is one of the artists I was planning on doing. This is great!

Back to Top View julia s.'s Profile Search for other posts by julia s.

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 08 2009 at 3:25am | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

We are just wrapping up a study of Matisse, so I thought I'd add some new resources to this thread. Our study of Matisse was actually prompted by reading The Fantastic Undersea Life of Jacques Cousteau during our ocean unit. This book has pictures somewhat reminiscent of Matisse, which resulted in a little rabbit trail. We read Matisse: The King of Color, a book about his later years and the story of his design of the Chapel of the Rosary. There are beautiful pictures of this chapel on this blog Also, there are lots of pictures of Matisse.
We also read Matisse.
For hands-on art, we did a picture study of "Icarus" (above, the bold black image of a human on a blue background with stars). We discussed the story of Icarus, and then the children "painted with scissors". Each child cut out various shapes, arranged them on a colorful piece of paper, and then glued them in place. A very simple project, but all ages can do it. The results were great!
A great resource (which I had bought years ago at a museum, but there are still a few copies out there at very low prices) is Matisse: A Postcard Book . There are thirty postcard size prints, very nicely done, in this little book. The best part is that there are a few done at different times but of the same image, so it's fun for the children to compare how the image is painted differently by Matisse at different times. This really helps them focus on the details. We compared two apple still life paintings, and also two of a room with an ocean view. We discussed when in Matisse's life he may have done these paintings, and then checked our guesses with the dates printed on the backs of the cards. I can't believe this great resource is out-of-print!

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 12 2011 at 4:08pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

stellamaris wrote:
We read Matisse: The King of Color, a book about his later years and the story of his design of the Chapel of the Rosary.

I found that book recently as well while doing a search of picture book biographies. It was very interesting. It had the Castholic angle which I like in a picture book. They even handled it well. There is a woman who was a nurse for him and eventually goes on to become a nun. He designs the chapel for the nuns. Another picture book story on Matisse is A Bird or 2: A Story About Henri Matisse

These "Smart About Art" series books are well done. The one on Matisse is Henri Matisse: Drawing with Scissors

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version