Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: FOOD! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 15 2006 at 3:14pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

I wonder if you would be so kind as to help me out with a few items for my menu or a website that might be helpful? I seem to be having a hard time finding meatless recipes that don't have soy, tofu, beans, or nuts. With dh working 2 jobs, we are just too busy these days and I'd like to trim back the time spent in the kitchen, (meat takes time!) but not trim back the food (we still like to eat)! What do you do for "elevensies" a.k.a. tea times?

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 15 2006 at 4:25pm | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

Have hard boiled eggs ready and make "Angel Eggs" (our version of deviled eggs, just a nicer name) or egg salad on crackers or bread.

Make several loaves of quick bread (or muffins) in batches and freeze them. They thaw real well in the microwave and come out nice and warm for teatime. We often add cream cheese to slices of Bishops Bread or Pumpkin Bread.

If it's breadbaking day we like to have warm bread with honey or jam (we made blackberry jam this Summer from the berries on our land and it is SO yummy!)

Yogurt is an old standby and someone we know recently blessed us with lots and lots of yogurt so the children are in heaven. String cheese and fruit are other favorites.

When you're stretched for time, it helps to double or triple a meal whenever possible to either freeze some or have leftovers for lunchtime or "elevenses"! We have a potato quiche recipe that freezes very well, and makes a nice meal anytime of day (the crust is made from shredded hash browns and you can use many different ingredients, according to taste).

It seems like families with many boys are always looking for "filler" food ideas! Some favorite fillers here; pretzels, popcorn or tortilla chips. We make a fast and easy dip from sour cream and/or cream cheese mixed with salsa. Our boys love it and it goes further than straight salsa! Melt cheese on the tortilla chips for extra protein.

Finding time for three square meals AND snacks can be challenging! Sometimes we combine two meals for a more hearty brunch OR "lun-din" (a combination of lunch and dinner"), and then have "grabs" of leftovers or fillers in between.

One of the best solutions to the time crunch for meals is teaching your children to cook! Our boys make eggs in a nest, "pasta la vista" (which is simply our name for buttered pasta, seasoned and tossed with some kind of cheese), a really good potato 'n onion soup with drop noodles, grilled cheese and many other simple meals. If necessity is the mother of invention, then hunger must be the father of all good cooks!

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 15 2006 at 4:40pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

so.. what's your egg salad and potato quiche recipes? Please!

I do teach the kids to cook. The problem is that our time crunch is usually because I am working with them on something.

I have completely given up on making enough food for leftovers. It's just not physically possible. If for no other reason than cookware to do it wouldn't fit in my oven. As it is, I need 2 crock pots just to make 1 meal. I set aside a portion for dh's lunch the next day before we eat or there wouldn't even be that much left over.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 15 2006 at 5:53pm | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Servant,
Can you share your recipe for Bishop's Bread? It sounds heavenly!

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

humanaevitae
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 15 2006 at 6:20pm | IP Logged Quote humanaevitae

We eat lots of eggs. Hard boiled, scrambled with peppers and cheese, soft yolks and toast for dipping, soft boiled and then set on toast with s/p.

Tuna salad (tuna, s/p, mayo, onions) spread on toast, topped with cheese and broiled for a minute.

I have found that without protein, we are all hungry again in a few hours.

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 15 2006 at 8:17pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Do you not like to eat beans or don't you like to cook them? Our favorite easy, cheap and filling meal/snack is beans, chips and cheese. I freeze the cooked pintos (sometimes smashed, sometimes not) in a couple of 2c plastic containers since they thaw quicker than one big one. You get a sprinkle of cheddar over your bowl o' beans, a couple of chips and a spoon. YUM!

We also like yogurt with wheat germ for a quick snack.

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 15 2006 at 9:31pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

no one in my house will eat beans except for 3 of us that will eat only black beans - of which I am heartily sick of.

we eat lots of eggs too. I agree about the need for a protein hit too.

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 16 2006 at 6:04am | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

Egg Salad:
Dice eggs, add mayo, a little mustard, salt, pepper and seasonings, like garlic pepper and chives, to taste.

Bishops Bread:
Makes two loaves (or 4 mini loaves) Freezes very nicely
(we combined recipes for Chocolate Tea Bread and Bishops Bread that we found online for this variation)

Ingred:
1/2 cup softened butter or marg.
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 and 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teas. salt
1 teas. baking soda
1/2 teas. cinnamon
1 teas. vanilla (or almond) extract
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup chopped marashino cherries
1/2 cup chopped dates
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup pecans
   Cream butter and sugar until light & fluffy. Add eggs. Combine dry ingredients and add. Add vanilla and sour cream. Stir in chopped ingredients.
   Spoon batter into two greased and lightly floured loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 55 min. or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
   Cool in pans for ten minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely on wire rack.

Hash Brown Quiche
(This recipe came from a local Bed & Breadfast and was featured in our local newspaper several years ago)

Ingred:
HASH BROWN CRUST
3 cups shredded hash browns (frozen or dairy case, or you can shred fresh potatoes and soak in salted cold water, then drain well when ready to use)
3 Tabl. melted butter or marg.
   Pat hash browns into bottom of greased pie plate or 8 x 8 baking dish to form a crust. Brush or drizzle melted butter or marg. over potatoes and bake at 400 degrees F. for 15 min. until potatoes are set.

*Meanwhile prepare filling

Ingred:
FILLING
Blend together 3 eggs (well beaten) and 3/4 cups milk
Assemble;
1 to 2 cup shredded cheese (your favorite type, or a combination such as colby or cheddar and monterey jack, I use only 1 cup)
Seasonings of your choice (I use 1 T. each of garlic salt, garlic pepper and chives)
Filling ingredients of your choice such as:
chopped mushrooms, brocolli, spinach, onion, red or green pepper, ham or bacon bits (saute any vegetables first) I use ham, bacon bits, peppers and mushrooms most often and probably use about 1/2 cup each. Exact amounts don't matter.

When potato crust is finished, add chopped filling ingredients, seasonings, and cheese , then pour combined egg and milk mixture over it all. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 45 min. or until eggs are set in the middle.
Double the recipe for a 9 x 13 pan, but cook a little longer. This freezes well, but cooks better if thawed first, otherwise it takes between 1 and 1/2 up to double the time and tends to overcook on top.

For those less enthusiastic about beans, cannelini (white kidney beans), are sometimes more tolerable. Mix a can or two with petite diced canned seasoned tomatoes, add a little minced garlic and more seasonings and you have a quick, tasty meatless soup.

Ruth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 16 2006 at 6:21am | IP Logged Quote Ruth

Here ia recipe my kids love.

Pasta and Cauliflower

INGREDIENTS:
1 head cauliflower, broken into
small florets
1/2 cup olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon chopped fresh
parsley

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste
2 tablespoons grated
Parmesan cheese
1 pound spaghett

DIRECTIONS:
1.      Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente.
2.      Meanwhile, steam cauliflower until tender. Alternatively, break cauliflower into flowerets, and steam until tender.
3.      Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add onion and saute until golden. Add garlic, and saute until golden brown. Stir in cauliflower and seasonings.
4.      Drain pasta, and transfer to a large serving bowl. Toss with onion and cauliflower mixture, and top with cheese.

I have lots of meatless recipes. I want to start posting them on my blog every Friday.

Enjoy and God bless. Ruth

http://thetuckerbunch.typepad.com/

mom to 7 miracles

My family blog

Loreto Rosaries
Back to Top View Ruth's Profile Search for other posts by Ruth Visit Ruth's Homepage

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 16 2006 at 8:32am | IP Logged Quote Martha

burneweb wrote:
http://thetuckerbunch.typepad.com/

Ohhhh. this sounds like a carnival blog topic to me!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version