Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Saving Dinner Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 14 2005 at 6:11am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Natalia wrote:
Alice,
Are you using the book and the menu mailer or just the book?

Just the book, Natalia. It provides four seasons' worth of menus, with eight weeks per season. I have never had a cook book with more "winner" recipes and made several truly memorable dinners just this week alone. The other great thing about a book in this format is that I'm trying recipes I probably never would have made from a traditional cookbook. When it's on the menu for the week, I make it, even if it is not one of my favorites. Last week, for example, I made Parmesan Drumsticks. Now, I do not especially like Parmesan and I can't stand drumsticks, but this meal was so delicious that it had my children clamoring for more (and it turned me into a drumstick lover). Before I stopped him, my three year old was actually shuffling round the table trying to swipe some from his sisters' plates like a young Helen Keller!!!

By the way, I have had many crockpot cookbooks before, but this week I gave them all to charity because the Saving Dinner *weekly* crockpot recipes are so far superior to anything I've ever prepared from a crockpot cookbook.   I do not have the link handy, but Saving Dinner is available through Amazon for the low price of $10.17 (as opposed to what I paid, $19.95). That's only a few cents more than the $9.95 price for a three month subscription to Menu Mailer.

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

MEBarrett
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 14 2005 at 8:14am | IP Logged Quote MEBarrett

We had the Turkey Nacho Bake last night and there were great cries of anguish when I announced we had eaten it all. I firmly second Alice's recommendation. Meal planning has always been something I struggled with and now it is so easy and pleasant.

Tales from the Bonny Blue House
O Night Divine
Back to Top View MEBarrett's Profile Search for other posts by MEBarrett Visit MEBarrett's Homepage

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 14 2005 at 2:12pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

I have this book too, but haven't gotten the hang of using it yet.

For those of you who have used it weekly as it was designed, are you having to double recipes? I am feeding 2 adults, one very hungry 12 yr old boy, 9, 6, and 3 yr olds.
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 14 2005 at 2:27pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Bookswithtea wrote:
I have this book too, but haven't gotten the hang of using it yet.

For those of you who have used it weekly as it was designed, are you having to double recipes? I am feeding 2 adults, one very hungry 12 yr old boy, 9, 6, and 3 yr olds.

The recipes are almost always *exactly* enough for my family (oldest child 11). My guess is that you would not need to double for your family, although it might make sense to throw in a bit more here and there (two extra pieces of chicken, a slightly larger roast). I've been following the book exactly as it is written, skipping only the fish dishes. Every week, I print out the week's shopping list and use it to do my grocery shopping online. This has saved quite a bit of effort in itself.

Because we skip the weekly fish dishes, the book provides me with dinner plans for all weeknights. On Saturdays, my husband makes tacos, and on Sundays, I've just begun planning "encore" meals--dinners from the book we especially loved. Last weekend, our encore was Turkey Meatloaf. Other huge favorites from the book include Crock Pea Soup, Chicken and Rice Chowder, Crock Beef Sandwiches, Great Greek Pasta, Parmesan Drumsticks, and Asian Honey Chicken (but this list is by no means complete!) I keep stars next to our favorite recipes so I will not forget, and they are all slated to make a return as Sunday dinner.

One of the things that is most surprising is that the children really like so many things I never would have tried without the "menu" format of the cookbook. Who would have thought my children would eat sweet potatoes?

Cottage Blessings
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 14 2005 at 2:38pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

One of the things I really like about this book is that it does not require a special trip to health food stores, but is still very focused on whole foods. We get to Trader Joe's when we can, but its an hour away so I can't count on it for regular meal helps.

You've inspired me...so do you have two grocery lists, one for dinners and one for the rest of your family's needs?

I'm also interested in your flylady kick, btw, if you want to post on how you are making it work with hsing and lots of littles... :-)

OH! And for those who followed the Weight Watchers thread, I figured out points for all the recipes in Saving Dinner and most of them were well within WW guidelines or could be easily altered to be within guidelines without sacrificing much.
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Oct 14 2005 at 4:26pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

I've backed away from Saving Dinner, at least temporarily, because I'm trying to keep even my kitchen absolutely gluten free. But, when we were doing it, I doubled the recipes. I have two teenaged boys and one who is right behind them and then four good child-sized eaters. The big boys work out hard athletically at least four days a week. People are always hungry around here--for instance, we easily go through a case of co-op eggs in a month--that's 15 dozen!

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Oct 14 2005 at 4:30pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Alice,
Please start that Flylady thread and get us all inspired again! How is it going--specifically? One thing I've found this stressful week is that I like to clean when I'm worried .

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 14 2005 at 5:43pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Bookswithtea wrote:
I'm also interested in your flylady kick, btw, if you want to post on how you are making it work with hsing and lots of littles... :-)

Elizabeth wrote:
Alice,
Please start that Flylady thread and get us all inspired again! How is it going--specifically? One thing I've found this stressful week is that I like to clean when I'm worried .

I would be happy to do that. In the meantime, let's just say, that it is 6:40 pm, and dinner has been cleaned up for over half an hour, my children are in pajamas with teeth brushed, and they've all laid out their clothes for the morning. : ) Oh, and my computer table hasn't a particle of clutter on it.

Today, my sage eleven year old approached me without a trace of mirth and said, "You know, Mommy, I think the Flylady has really worked much better than any of your other attempts at getting organized."

Cottage Blessings

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 14 2005 at 6:50pm | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

Alice, you are an inspiration!!! I actually thought that before this thread, but this has put you over the top in my eyes!!!    I'm going to Amazon right now to order the book!

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 14 2005 at 7:55pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Oh, Erica, you are much too kind! The truth is that I am actually a huge bumbler who has finally stumbled across something that works, largely thanks to recommendations on this list and CCM.

Many, many thanks though. I always appreciate a compliment, even if undeserved.   

Cottage Blessings

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 15 2005 at 12:22pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Bookswithtea wrote:
One of the things I really like about this book is that it does not require a special trip to health food stores, but is still very focused on whole foods.
You've inspired me...so do you have two grocery lists, one for dinners and one for the rest of your family's needs?

My sentiments exactly!!! Since Alice mentioned this book my life has been quite transformed I LOVE this book. Not only are the meals GOOD, my family is loving them too, and I'll second and third what Alice has said about the fact that I wouldn't normally have tried many of these recipes, nor would I have expected my family to like them this much. This is saying a lot too as my dh is a CHEF so he tends to be a little pickier on trying *new* cookbooks that tout a solution to all your dinner time woes. But this book is revolutionary!!

I photocopy the menu for my trip to the store and add to it from my main grocery list so I'm not carrying two to the store each week. I'd really like to do two weeks ahead as well so I'm going less, trying to work that one out still

I feel bad that some of you can not take advantage of it due to food allergies, maybe we can suggest to Leanne Ely to do an allergy friendly version, or gluten free, etc???

Alcie, thanks again for recommending this very helpful book
P.S. Why are you skipping the fish meal?? They have all been excellent for us so far, do you dislike fish in general? Just curious

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

mary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 15 2005 at 1:20pm | IP Logged Quote mary

I just discovered that not only is there a saving dinner for low-carb, but there is also one for holidays (which is probably NOT low carb!) and that my library carries both of them. Thanks for the suggestion!
Back to Top View mary's Profile Search for other posts by mary

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 15 2005 at 2:11pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

happyheartsmom wrote:
P.S. Why are you skipping the fish meal?? They have all been excellent for us so far, do you dislike fish in general? Just curious

I am thrilled (and not surprised) that you and your family are loving this book, Meredith.

The only reason I've been skipping the fish meals is that I do not have convenient access to a really good fish market. The first two weeks, I ordered fish from the grocery store, but didn't really think it was that good. Finally, I decided to stop bothering with it.

Still, some of those fish recipes do look good. Have you tried the Mustard Glazed Salmon, by the way? That recipe sounded great, and so simple.

Cottage Blessings

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 15 2005 at 2:13pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

mary wrote:
I just discovered that not only is there a saving dinner for low-carb, but there is also one for holidays (which is probably NOT low carb!) and that my library carries both of them. Thanks for the suggestion!

Ooh, does this mean the holiday book has been released already? I pre-ordered a copy from Amazon, but haven't received it yet. My guess is that it will be a winner.

Cottage Blessings

mary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 15 2005 at 2:14pm | IP Logged Quote mary

butting in - Alice, Sam's (and probably Costco) carries wonderful frozen salmon, talipia and cod.
Back to Top View mary's Profile Search for other posts by mary

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 15 2005 at 2:16pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

mary wrote:
butting in - Alice, Sam's (and probably Costco) carries wonderful frozen salmon, talipia and cod.

That's not butting in! I appreciate the tip! My husband is due to make a Costco run, so I will ask him to pick some up for me right away.

Cottage Blessings

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Oct 15 2005 at 2:19pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Alice, we live on an island in the North Atlantic, and you can't find a fish market????? C'mon!!

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 15 2005 at 2:22pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

MacBeth wrote:
Alice, we live on an island in the North Atlantic, and you can't find a fish market????? C'mon!!

Not one that delivers, baby!

I am an all delivery gal these days--no more spending the weekends running errands for me!

Cottage Blessings

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Oct 15 2005 at 2:44pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Not to self: Find fish market that delivers!

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 15 2005 at 2:53pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I'm working on meal planning, and I'm gearing up use parts of Saving Dinner. For all our special needs in this house because of food allergies, I couldn't believe how MANY recipes I could use, or simply adapt. VERY rare! I can't do them all, and I don't have a crockpot yet (Christmas request), but I want the ease of a shopping list, so...I'm going to type in the recipes in a recipe program I have, MasterCook, and then I can generate grocery lists.

I have other recipes that I use regularly and will fit into the rotation and will still work for the grocery list.

A cookbook that works great for the side dishes that I have really enjoyed: Twelve Months of Monastery Salads. Very healthy, usually very easy and quite a variety! But I also use many recipes from LLL cookbooks, Whole Foods for the Whole Family and ...Whole World.

Last night I made salmon, the Garlic-Lime Salmon from Saving Dinner. I bought frozen Wild Alaskan Salmon from Trader Joes. I didn't have limes, so used lemons, but the recipe was delicious and the salmon was REALLY good. The wild salmon is better for lower mercury contents. I paired it with sauteed green beans and baked potatoes and a green salad. Filling and delicious. My little son loved it...actually liked the salmon! I was surprised, but very pleased.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version