Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: A Field Trip to Va.!!! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 26 2006 at 11:03pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Kristen in TN wrote:
I don't know if you would ever be able to get as far south as Staunton, but the Farm Museum (Ladies, help me out with the name here!) there is so worth the driving, money, etc.Kristen in TN

It's the Frontier Culture Museum and it's a wonderful field trip!

JennGM wrote:
I just wanted to mention that Mount Vernon has added a brand new visitor center. The Washington Post did a review on Oct. 24

Fleshing Out a Founding Father

Additions Give Mount Vernon The Feel of Yesterdayland

Grand Opening of Mount Vernon's New Museum and Education Center

I can't wait to go see this. I'm hoping to get a little group together to go soon.

My parents took my older four girls to Mount Vernon last week. They all loved it and said it was definitely worth the trip. One highlight was a movie in the new center in which there were special effects. The girls said that it looked and felt like it was snowing in the room while they watched the crossing of the Delaware.

With the Jamestown anniversary during the year of your trip, I'd definitely make that a priority. And while you are there, don't miss Williamsburg and Yorktown, since they are so close. I went to college in Williamsburg -- it's a wonderful place. But one of my brothers told me how pricey it has become to buy passes. That's unfortunate.

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 27 2006 at 11:22am | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

teachingmom wrote:
With the Jamestown anniversary during the year of your trip, I'd definitely make that a priority. And while you are there, don't miss Williamsburg and Yorktown, since they are so close. I went to college in Williamsburg -- it's a wonderful place. But one of my brothers told me how pricey it has become to buy passes. That's unfortunate.

The price is unfortunate, but may be necessary. Colonial Williamsburg has been having attendance problems as of late -- some stats I have read even list Potomac Mills mall as the number one tourist attraction in Virginia! (see this article). We couldn't afford to bring the family (we did walk around town and shops for free) this summer, but my 11ds got to go with my dad and LOVED it - esp. the new "Revolutionary City" program (hours of interactive re-enactment).

Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2006 at 7:59am | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

It's best to buy a 'membership' at Williamsburg... the patriot passes allow visits over the course of the year... not necessarily so useful if you live out of state, but much more money savvy

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version