Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: External Version vs. C-section Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 30 2006 at 11:19am | IP Logged Quote Christine

I am almost 32 weeks and my baby is still breech. I have been told since 20 weeks that this baby will most likely turn and he might, but experience tells me otherwise. My third child was breech and we opted for an external version. The doctor turned him and induced. It was my hardest labor and delivery to date. I was on pitocin from approximately 7 AM to 7 PM. When my son was born, he had the umbilical cord wrapped around his neck and required immediate oxygen. This experience is still vivid in my husband's memory and he has said that if our baby does not turn, he would like me to have a C-section. My doctor's midwife recommends an external version, saying that their is no increased danger to the baby and a c-section has more risks. I would really appreciate any information and/or advice. I would also appreciate prayers.

Pretty Lilla Rose
Back to Top View Christine's Profile Search for other posts by Christine Visit Christine's Homepage

Bethany
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 30 2006 at 12:34pm | IP Logged Quote Bethany

Hi, I'm new here and need to introduce myself, but I saw your post and wanted to reply. I'll go introduce myself next.

My third, and youngest dd, had turned around 33 or 34 weeks. However, between my 36 and 37 week appointment she fliped back again and was breech. When the midwife told me she was breech I knew when she had flipped because one evening she was really doing a number on me. I had no idea she was turning completely.

They recommended I see a chiropractor because there are some adjustments they can do to help the baby turn. I saw the chiropractor almost every other day for about a week and nothing happened.

I then went ahead and tried the external version. Which, as you know, is no fun! She didn't budge an inch. After the third try both my husband and the doctor were saying that was enough.

Unfortunately, I had to go for a scheduled c-section. There were no problems with my dd and they couldn't find any reason for her being breech. After two vaginal birth's, I was not happy having to have a c-section and I found recovery to be much more difficult.

My only adivce would be to give the baby plenty of time to turn on it's own and try to version again if necesary. After that experience, I would definately try to avoid a c-section if at all possible. I'm nervous now about a future pregnancy because I do not want another c-section. Hope this helps some.

Bethany
Back to Top View Bethany's Profile Search for other posts by Bethany

mary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 30 2006 at 1:02pm | IP Logged Quote mary

i don't have any experience with versions or c-sec. my last two were breech off and on. my 3rd turned at 36weeks and my 4th turned BACK to breech at 37weeks - it was discovered after my water broke and i had to be induced. i was able to deliver my breech babe vaginally. is that an option?
Back to Top View mary's Profile Search for other posts by mary

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 30 2006 at 4:41pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

My first child turned to the breech position late in pregnancy. We opted for an external version after considering the options. Since this was my first baby - and the location and doctors available, it would be an automatic c-section without the version. I opted for the version which was done by an OB, with the nurse midwife helping me relax (the version should not be terribly painful(though you certainly notice it) or they are pressing too hard. There is some risk that the version will promote early labor, some risk that the baby will return to the original position after the version (midwife thought that this is often due to some reason for the breech - like a shorter cord, etc.). There is also some risk of problems developing (which is why they monitor the baby's heartrate in some way and stop immediately at any attempt if there is any sign of problem).

Our childbirth educator (also a lay entry midwife) did not feel like versions were very effective because there is often a reason for the baby's odd position. They didn't view it as terribly risky, though both of the midwives did warn us to speak up if we felt any discomfort stronger than normal contractions as this is a sign of the version not being a good idea. Generally, when the baby is in a position because of short cord or something like that, then the version is unsuccessful - or the baby will turn back again. None really felt it was a major risk factor of problems in labor.

Basically the lay midwife thought our version would not be successful. The CNM and the OB felt it was our best choice considering the options. The nurse midwife and doctor back-up team used the ultrasound to have more view of anything that might suggest that a version would not be advisable. It only took a very short time. I spent a couple of hours at the hospital - but most of it was doing the initial ultrasound and the IV they insisted on and the hour after the successful version to continue to monitor the baby. If you have a version, practice your relaxation during the version and the midwife massaged my toes which was wonderful! I really did not feel uncomfortable with the version once I was relaxed - and found it so interesting to see the outline of the baby on my abdomin. My whole stomach area was like dough. Maybe I'm odd, (I also like to watch the blood fill up all those test tubes when they do blood draws on me) but I really found the whole thing fascinating and relaxing.

The doctor used an ultrasound machine to assist him with the version (it also showed him sufficient fluid and room for the proceedure) and I was given an IV (just in case) and monitored (the midwife would double check the machine by listening). Our baby liked to play with the cord - squeezing it and releasing it.

Our experience was very positive. I wasn't thrilled with all the monitoring but it was less than would have been with the c-section. I went into labor a bit early but not prematurely and labor was not much different than a lot of my other children. She stayed head down.

My mother had my twin brothers without c-section in her day - but they didn't know the babies were breech. Now, very few doctors are trained in the normal delivery of breech babies so you kind of get stuck unless you happen to find someone both experienced and willing (and you don't want an inexperienced person delivering breech). With lawsuits, etc. it is really hard to find willing doctors, even if they are experienced.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 30 2006 at 7:01pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Ok now I'm starting to get nervous. I'm 36 weeks and the baby is still breech. Isn't there some exercises you can do to encourage turning?? I've had a baby turn pretty late before but that was 17 years ago. I DO NOT want a c-section.

Anyone???

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Oct 30 2006 at 8:14pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Michele,
You can prop an ironing board up against your bed at a 45 degree angle. Lie on the board with your head down for twenty minutes, three times a day. If you want, put ice where the baby's head is and play music where you want her to go. Have someone take pictures. Four years from now, you'll smile--and almost laugh--at them.

I also highly recommend finding a chiropractor who knows the procedure for turning (name evades me now but it'll come to me eventually). I think it was chiropractic that really helped this time. And one more thing to think about: We got Katie to turn at 38 weeks. I wish we'd induced. She flipped back at 39 weeks and stuck her foot in the birth canal for emphasis. Then there was nothing we could do. They did an emergency section because of the risk of cord prolapse. I was 4 centimeters dilated already and no one wanted to risk my water breaking. So, if you get her to flip, don't assume she won't go breech again--it's a grand multip thing.

Now, go get that ironing board propped.I'll pray for you both.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 30 2006 at 9:33pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

My Christopher (now 6) turned after one visit to a chiropractor 5 days before he was due. The exercise that Elizabeth mentioned is also good for turning posterior babies while in labor.
Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Oct 31 2006 at 6:46am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

I remembered in the middle of the night: It's called the Webster technique.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Dawnie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 31 2006 at 12:06pm | IP Logged Quote Dawnie

Michele,

In addition to the exercises and chiropractic care, you could try a homeopathic called Pulsitilla. My midwife had me take it (in addition to lying in the breech-tilt position 3x/day) during my last pregnancy when baby was breech. She turned and stayed head down.   

Dawn

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 31 2006 at 12:12pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. Someone else mentioned Pulsatilla and since I'm already taking it for a head cold I am hoping it will help here too. Unfortunately though the head cold means lying head down is far too painful right now. Still, I feel more prepared for my appt. Friday as I have gotten a lot of good advice. My dh and I talked about it last night and he is 100% with me in a c-section being an absolutely last resort, emergency decision.

Christine I am sorry for hi-jacking your thread. I'll be praying your baby turns and stays head down very soon!

God bless!

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 31 2006 at 1:07pm | IP Logged Quote Christine

Thank you everyone for the suggestions and prayers. Hmm, Pulsatilla ~ I might be visiting our health food store in the near future.

Michele, I will keep you and your little one in my prayers. Thank you for stepping in, as it helped provide me with more information. I hope you feel better soon.

Pretty Lilla Rose
Back to Top View Christine's Profile Search for other posts by Christine Visit Christine's Homepage

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 31 2006 at 1:14pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

Pelvic tilt exercises done on hands and knees (think of the old gray mare) also help. Actually, after the fact, we think that is what caused our baby to turn to the breech in the first place! You definitely feel when the baby turns - also, we learned how to palpate to determine position ourselves so we were reassured knowing our baby stayed head down.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

organiclilac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 01 2006 at 3:16pm | IP Logged Quote organiclilac

For a comprehensive site on turning babies, try Spinning Babies.

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 01 2006 at 4:59pm | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

I am just sharing this to give information. I pray no one is frightened. All things are in God's hands...

OK---my sister's boss had to go to a funeral last week for the baby of one of his best friends. The baby appeared fine, doctor did external version, the baby turned after some difficulty, but then at birth was extremely oxygen deprived and had to be rushed to the NICU. The child then died. I think they are considering malpractice against the doctor for not assuring the version method was safe. Of course, God's Will be done. I am sure this is rare, but I do not know the statistics of success of this procedure.

I am only sharing this, not to discourage version, but for consideration and prayer and to encourage those who do choose to go C-section route that they are not "failures"..... and that you pray for this shocked family. I will pray for you moms with breech babies and that your babies be born safely, regardless of the delivery method.

and 2 yet-to-be-met
Back to Top View Nina Murphy's Profile Search for other posts by Nina Murphy

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 01 2006 at 6:21pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Another thing to consider is that many many women are being forced into repeat c-sections because so few hospitals can meet their insurance requirements for VBAC (things like an anesthesiologist on duty.. not just on call)

Also the safety of a version or breech delivery is very dependant on the skill of the person doing it. Babies can be forced to turn with a version or they can be encouraged to turn.. gentle is the way to go.

Breech delivery can be very safe depending on the skill of the doctor and the baby's position.. some breech positions are AS SAFE AS vertex to deliver vaginally. What the research shows is that any problems associated with the breech position are not changed by the method of delivery (c-section vs vaginal)

Personally, I would opt for the breech delivery if I had someone skilled at those.. then a version and finally a c-section.. because while I would not put my baby at risk by not having a c-section.. there is a lot of wiggle room in there between not optimum and needed c-section.

I highly recommend Henci Goer's books for some eye opening research findings.

Oh and I did have one that was flip flopping so often between breech and vertex that there was no way I was going to even try the version because she wouldn't stay put anyway.. and with that much freedom of movement anything could happen.. even with induction. The morning I woke in labor, she'd turned vertex and stayed for the duration.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 01 2006 at 7:56pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Nina Murphy wrote:
I am only sharing this, not to discourage version, but for consideration and prayer and to encourage those who do choose to go C-section route that they are not "failures"..... and that you pray for this shocked family. I will pray for you moms with breech babies and that your babies be born safely, regardless of the delivery method.

Nina this is so sad - I will pray for this family. I wouldn't consider a cesarean a failure but it IS major surgery and statisically speaking breech births are actually safer. I spoke today to a good friend of mine who is a CRNP and a midwife ( though she doesn't practice as a midwife any more but has delivered many babies). She informed me that one of the midwives in the practice I'm with is very expeienced with breech births. She also said that given I have delivered a 10lb. baby previously I have very good odds of delivering breech should that be necessary. The problem of course would be convincing them to let me do it though she thinks I might be able to.

That being said she also felt I was right to refuse the version. . .at least for now. What she suggested (and I had been thinking so this was a confirmation) was to let them do another ultrasound to determine how big the baby is now and make sure there is no apparent reason the baby hasn't turned yet and then decide from there what I want my cut off point to be for scheduling a version if we decide to go that route.

So that's what I plan to do because right now my gut feeling is that she isn't ready to turn yet but will.

Thank you all for your input and prayers. I feel much more confident now.

Oh and Fr. Leo prayed over me today so that helps as well!

LLMom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 01 2006 at 10:44pm | IP Logged Quote LLMom

I had a breech baby at the hospital. IT was a planned homebirth but we went to the hospital when we found her breech the day I went into labor. We fully expected a c-section because the hospital said they didn't do breech deliveries. My baby wouldn't wait though, and the GP on staff delivered her. The cord was wrapped 2x around her neck and short. Probably the reason she was breech. It was one of my least painful births.
Back to Top View LLMom's Profile Search for other posts by LLMom

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 03 2006 at 8:18am | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Well I just had my appt. and baby is head down! I don't know when she turned (must have been in my sleep because I did not notice) but let's hope she stays that way.

Thanks for the prayers!

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 03 2006 at 12:11pm | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Michele,
I am so happy for you! I'll keep you and the little one in my prayers!
One thing to add to this discussion...I had my OB appt. yesterday and my baby was breech but I'm only 29 weeks and my OB said she wouldn't start worrying until 35/36 weeks. I told her that I had heard that versions can be very painful. She said, they put in an epidural when they do them, for pain relief and so the mom can relax which makes the version attempt more likely to succeed. Any thoughts, anyone?

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 03 2006 at 6:36pm | IP Logged Quote Christine

jdostalik wrote:
I told her that I had heard that versions can be very painful. She said, they put in an epidural when they do them, for pain relief and so the mom can relax which makes the version attempt more likely to succeed. Any thoughts, anyone?

My version with my third child was not painful, nor was I given anything for pain relief. What was painful were the contractions, probably due to the pitocin.

Michele, I am so happy that your baby has turned!

Nina, I will keep the family in my prayers. What they experienced is precisely what my husband fears, based on our experience with our third child (things turned out alright in the end, but he knows that they almost didn't). My husband wants whatever is safest for the baby (I do too). At this point, I am trusting in God that this baby will turn and if he doesn't everything will be okay.

Pretty Lilla Rose

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version